1. marchombre02

marchombre02 New Member

I can't write anymore.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by marchombre02, Dec 4, 2013.

I am a french canadian and I used to write a lot, (in french obviously). I loved it. Then I moved to another province (an english speaking province) and I can now do pretty much anything in english. I am now bilingual but i lost my ability to write; When I write in french again it just isnt the same, I have lost the 'magic touch', due to the fact I havent been around the french language. And I can't write in english either since its not my first language and I am not quite comfortable enough. This makes me sad. Really. Writing was all I had.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I lost my ability to spell Columbus when I learned Spanish. But now there is spellchecker. ;)

I'm not trying to be flip. I can speak Spanish after I'm immersed in it for a week. Without that the rust forms, but it doesn't take much to scrape that rust off. I say, write in French. It will come back to you, it's not gone.

Tesoro and Juju Bagdasarian like this.
  3. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

I'll add to that and say write in both. What you had will come back, and you can certainly pick up some new tricks in English. Don't hold yourself back with "I can't" even if the evidence is there. "I can't" is only a part of the phrase anyway. It should be "I can't yet." Perk up and give it a shot, we don't like pity threads. Take that to The Not Happy Thread. ;)

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. vwyler

vwyler Member

Who's 'we'? Do you have authority to speak for the rest of the people here?

And maybe empathy is a better word to use in this case. Too little of that in the world today.

To the OP: Take a break. Try something else for a while. The muse will return. And ignore the hard noses. They'll always try to push your cart if you let them. ;)

5. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

You bet I do! I say what I want. ;)

And no, I meant pity. Don't like pity, Do like empathy.

6. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Contributing Member

This is probably more the problem rather than not being in a francophone environment. Its impossible (for me anyway) to write if I am depressed and down. Why is writing all you have? If you left friends and family behind in the french place it sounds like you badly need to put down some roots now.

Juju Bagdasarian likes this.
  7. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Marchombre,

I took French in high school, having French-Canadian descent. I did reasonably well, still at 17 I joined the Army to avoid Nam. Ironically, I was shipped to Germany to be trained for duty in Nam. I learned to speak German and French waned. Now German is my weak second language and French is a weaker third. I have a novel that uses smatterings of French, so I could use some help with that. Perhaps you could expand your own horizons by working on the sidelines with writer like me.

8. marchombre02

marchombre02 New Member

Thank you all for your support! Pity? No , I'm not looking for any pity, Hahaha, more like some advice and some encouragements maybe. Perhaps I made it sound more depressing then it really is, I was in a weird mood last night... Well the fact is that I DO have try writing, I have attempt it countless of times but it all end up with the same feeling, frustration. It takes me three time as much effort to just get close to where i used to be and I am not even there yet. The words just don't come out as easily. I feel like an athlete who broke one of his body part and who now have to relearn how to do everything.

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Do you still read books in French at least? If not, I would suggest picking something up and starting there. Perhaps L'Etranger by Albert Camus? ;)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's lots more to enjoy in life than just writing... find something else you like to do, till the writing bug bites you again... or to keep you busy/happy, if it doesn't...

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm wondering if in learning your new language, you may have lost some of the nuances of your native French. I think that there is much in the subtleties of language that fuels what we love in literature. So, I would second @thirdwind's suggestion that you delve back into whatever you love most in French writing and reconnect. I'm guessing that it won't take long to re-ignite your fires.

Good luck.

12. Siena

Siena Active Member

Personally, I think the language change is an excuse. Something else is going on. There is nothing stopping you from writing a little a day, at least.

GingerCoffee likes this.