1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Anime and Manga

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 14, 2011.

I decided to start a thread about anime and manga because during lunch, my friends and I were calling out what would be a perfect manga/anime scene. Then I decided to vlog one day regarding everything manga or anime.

(Yes, I'm a vlogger. If you want to check out my vlog channel, PM me, I will not post the site on here. It's via youtube btw)

Anyway, I guess this is where you can discuss anything manga or anime related.

Favorites?
    Ideas?
    etc.

I also have an idea to create a manga one day, it seems like it would be really fun. :D

2. 霊Ray霊

霊Ray霊 New Member

I really liked Haibane Renmei but usually nobody have heard about it :redface:
    It´s only 13 episodes I think but the soundtrack and storyline was really cool. Then there´s many other animes but it´s hard for me to say what is my favourite because I like so many and can´t pick only one.

I´d like to read your manga if you do create it :) Also, since there´s the RPG forum here it´d be totally something else if a manga styled RPG. Just unsure if something like that would work on this forum

3. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Yes, yes, yes! I'm a very big fan of Josei manga from writers/artists like Kawachi Haruka, Ikeumi Ryo and George Asakura. I also head Stiletto Heels Team which scanlates some unknown manga (in the States), though we've been on hiatus due to the recent coalition deal and because I've been putting more effort into locating a missing family friend in Japan.

As for anime, there are just too many favorites. One that comes to mind is the epic sci-fic series, Planetes. As Judge Joel Pearce (dvdverdict) puts it, "This anime is the best show about intergalactic garbage collectors since the short-lived Quark, starring Richard Benjamin."

I'm not the sci-fic/fantasy type, but thats one of the few series out there that really shine. I mean, I even watched the whole string of NASA conversations in the Extras on how viable the science is in Planetes.

Other ones I loved include: Master Keaton, Monster, Beck, Rahxephon (the re-vamped NGE), Gungrave, Victorian Romance Emma, Mushishi, Now and Then, Here and There, and Paradise Kiss.

The list just keeps stretching at this point!

That sounds really fun. I hope you do. I've written for my own manga in Japanese, but that was in middle school and the artwork sucks! I wouldn't mind posting it up in my album or something so you can all point and laugh, lol.

What's your manga about, if you don't mind me asking?

(Oh, and also, I noticed your Haru avatar. I've always connected with him more in Fruba since I was born in the year of the Ox myself. :) )

4. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

I watch quite a bit of anime, as you can tell by my username. My favorite would probably be Fullmetal Alchemist. I like the action and comedy mix, plus it's got a pretty deep story. Some of my other animes I've really like would be Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, and Clannad. My favorite type of anime would have to be slice of life. Not really sure why, but that is the type of anime I seem to enjoy the most.

As for manga, I really don't read much. The only manga I've really got into was the Pokemon Special manga, which in my option is quite a bit better than the Pokemon anime. Other than that the only really manga I've read was Black Cat, and I'm only like 3 chapters into that.

My favorite anime character would have to be Osaka for Azumanga. She is one of the most entertaining characters I have ever watched. Konata (Lucky Star) would probably be a close second, and Edward (Fullmetal) would round out the top three.

Well, there is my life on anime. Don't hold it against me. Also, can't wait for the K-On! movie to come out. Really looking forward to watching it.

5. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Anime is the Devil's sockpuppet ;)

6. Ophiucha

Ophiucha New Member

I'm not a huge fan, but I'll certainly watch/read it from time to time.

Manga; Uzumaki, Ristorante Paradiso, Vassalord, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    Anime; Fullmetal Alchemist, Trigun, Real Drive, anything by Hayao Miyazaki

7. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I think my favorite is probably InuYasha. Really well-written, and the music is so fitting.

Also, I like s-CRY-ed, Neon Genesis, and Trigun, and Gundam Wing. I like my anime to have action, a deep story, and great characters.

8. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I also must say that I am a large anime and manga fan. There really isn't much I haven't seen or at least heard of.

I like pretty much all genres of anime, but I typically steer clear of harems. I have watched a few of them, Clannad and Kanon being my two favorites there. I'd have to say my true all-time favorites include The Twelve Kingdoms, Monster, Nodame Cantabile, Haibane Renmei, (Yes, Ray, I have heard of it. I also have a wallscroll of it hanging beside my bed.), FMA: Brotherhood, Mushishi, BECK, Hikaru no Go, and Ouran High School Host Club. I could probably mention a lot more that I really enjoyed, but I will stop there.

9. 霊Ray霊

霊Ray霊 New Member

Nice list there, and you´ve heard about Haibane Renmei, awesome! :rolleyes:

I´ve read only a bit of Uzumaki but I´ve watched the movie and liked it. It was different. Hayao Myazaki is very nice too, my favourite movie from him is Howl´s castle

10. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Ooh, a forum made just for me :D.

Faves include Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker Than Black, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Inuyasha, Death Note, and Naruto (though I gave up reading after the poor Hinata incident, never got to resume after OneManga closed).

11. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Annûniel, if you ever revisit the thread, just wanted to thumbs up on the slight nod to The Twelve Kingdoms. I had this extensive conversation with someone on the board in my notes about this particular anime because it really is that great.

A few things that disappointed me though were

1) the quality of the animation after episode 1 which progressively worsened as the show went on, and

2)There were some parts were "draggy", but I didn't mind it as much as the abrupt ending of Taiki's story, just when things were getting interesting. I understand that Fuyumi Ono hadn't finished the story, but what bothers me is that the director for the anime chose to leave us hanging without giving us some sort of closure.

12. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

my top favorite!!!

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

For me, I don't really enjoy watching anime per se. It's just the least boring out of all the other boring forms of media out there, I suppose. I have a pretty short attention span and am pretty bored, but somehow a few anime manage to get my attention for more than a few minutes. Fortunately or unfortunately, a lot of my friends are hardcore fans of anime and manga, so occasionally I pick up a few things from them; not to mention that my dad's side of the family are sort of Japano-philes (though not without reason - much of my dad's family, including my dad himself, lived in Japan for a few years).

Generally, I like watching character-focused and thematically strong stories, rather than action or comedy or anything else proper; it seems that most of the ones I have watched are lesser known in the West and aren't as popular, which is certainly fine by me. I judge the things I read and watch extremely harshly, anyways, and very, very few have been able to meet my standards. A few of my friends like to play the game where they throw random anime (or, well, anything, including films or books) to see if my harsh standards will be impressed at all, but they usually fail anyways. Still, my favorites (or, more correctly, those that actually passed my standards):

Grave of the Fireflies - one of the few anime films that's actually recognized in the West as more than good, and considering the fact that I saw it when I was 7~8, it made a very, very strong impression. Heck, I would even daresay it was what made me start getting into writing. Yes, I consider it one of my personal gods of storytelling.

Azumanga Daioh - the greatest thing ever. Period. Great for character interaction and characterization. Also a god of storytelling, because it's that awesome.

Spice and Wolf - some people find it boring, but I find the character interactions wonderful and delightful to watch. It's one of the few stories I'll call flawless (which is, however, different from perfect) since in my opinion I couldn't find any serious problems with it other than the pacing, which is subjective.

Clannad - according to my harshest interpretation of it it shouldn't be on my list of favorites, although I do admit Clannad is extremely well-done for its genre, especially considering that 95% of the other stuff in its genre is crap; still, the fact that it was one of the very, very, very few shows/books/films/etc.etc. that actually made me cry saves it (the only other one being the aforementioned Grave of the Fireflies).

ef series - I found it extremely problematic in several areas, and personally I think the first season is way too overrated amongst the anime community here, but I have to admit I enjoyed the insane mind screwing and symbolism. And Yuuko's hats.

I've also enjoyed Hiyao Miyazaki's works, but otherwise few other anime seem to have impressed me. A couple I also sort of enjoyed were Scrapped Princess, Allison to Lillia (more for the atmosphere rather than the plot, which was horrid), Futakoi Alternative (not Futakoi), and that recent one about the squid girl (I forgot its name), and and maybe a few more I forgot, but otherwise everything else gets thrown into the "meh" pile.

14. Leo the Lion

Leo the Lion New Member

Azumanga Daioh fan! Yay!

One of my favorites is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's all weird and stuff!

15. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

Another fellow Azumanga fan. Still a funny as heck anime and one I really enjoy. Although the animation kind sucks, its a gag anime and Osaka more than makes up for it.

I believe your talking about Shinryaku! Ika Musume. A friend of mine talks about it all the time.

16. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan New Member

Azumanga Daioh is my only happy, non-depressing, non-tragic, god of fiction. Now that's impressive, I think.

Ah, yes, that's the one. It's mood and pacing reminded me a lot of Azumanga Daioh, and its lack of ambition - as in doing all it needed to do without any extra fancy bullcrap - was something to be admired. Except for the very end when the producers or writers or whoever decided to throw in a drama bomb for no reason.

17. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Have any of you guys seen Welcome to the NHK? And if so, what are your thoughts on the series?

18. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

Tried watching it, but could never really get into it.

I play Final Fantasy, though. Does that count?

19. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Wow, nice to see a thread like this to remind me of one of my favorite hobbies.

Currently, I'm sitting on about $2k worth of anime DVDs plus loads of posters, key chains, and various paraphernalia.

My favorite series (in order are)

Outlaw Star
    - I truly believe the very first anime series you watch all the way through is the one you enjoy the most and use as a basis of comparison against others. Outlaw Star is a prime example of this. Great overarching story, wonderful cast of diverse characters, action, romance, drama, you name it, Outlaw Star has it. A classic of its time. I actually own 2 copies of this series on DVD

Full Metal Panic! Series
    - The entire show has a great premise and a good mix of action and comedy. At times, it doesn't take itself seriously and others you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from any other military dramas in terms of action and story telling.

GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
    - I honestly fell in love with this show on accident. I was making an entry for the Anime Expo 2004 AMV contest and wanted to use an Eminem song with an anime character that looked like him. A friend pointed me towards GTO and I've been enthralled with it ever since. I've even got copies of the live action show sitting on my shelf.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    - The sleeper hit. Not too many people know about this show but the ones that do can sing its praise. A heartwarming space drama that shows us the humanity in war and just how far dumb luck will actually take you. If you haven't seen this series I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. You will definitely enjoy the ride.

Scrapped Princess
    - Another show that is just non-stop fun and excitement. The concept is completely original (unlike many shows today) and it is very well paced. You actually don't know which side to take at times because everyone has a compelling argument. Even the heroine Pacifica is conflicted and even tinkers with the thought of ending her own life just to ease the world's suffering. Top this show off with some great and consistent animation and you've got an instant winner.

Sadly, in the last few years I've kind of weaned off anime. Mostly because the product is the same bland and recycled formula. The last show I enjoyed with great interest was High School of the Dead and Eden of the East. Also, I've been dying for the Cat Sh*t One series to be released.

20. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

Haha Oh this thread is close to my heart.

For me there are far to many that make my top list...soooooo I will just list a few of my favorites.

Last Exile - I am beyond excite for the sequel series coming out later this year.
    DUAL! Parallel Trouble Adventure
    Wolf's Rain
    Trigun
    Fooly Cooly
    the dot hack series
    High School of the Dead - which is a top favorite right now

Right now I am watching Dog Days as it is released.

There are so many more that can and will make this list haha.

21. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

I have heard of this
    my older brother use to watch it, but i was young and had better things to do!

22. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

cool:D

I love the anime series Inuyasha, naruto and several others...XD

23. Smoke

Smoke New Member

My first exposure to Anime was "Robot Carnival" which is pretty much a film festival. Thanks to that, it took me years to realize that anime is supposed to make sense. (Well, depending on the series and how seriously the translators treated it.)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Haibane Renmei, Genesis of Aquarion, Ouran Host Club, Pumpkin Scissors, Digimon Tamers... I've caught just enough of FLCL, DNAngel, and Spice and Wolf to want to try watching them.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention Mushi Shi. That one's a definite recommend if you like slower serious stories.

I prefer DUBs to Subs because of the attention factor. A book will automatically pause when my attention wanders, and I can comfortably pay less attention to a cartoon if my ears are involved in the process.

24. Lazy_Otaku271

Lazy_Otaku271 New Member

A great game series, and a decent anime. I wouldn't say that it's the best, but it something I'd watch at least once. Of course, I think the .hack anime would have been better if it wasn't limited to the predefined boundaries of The World. That why I tend to really like the //Liminality series.

25. Coreen Hipae

Coreen Hipae New Member

I agree it is a great game series, yet I personally believe it is a wonderful anime series. The fact that its universe has boundaries is something I guess that draws me in haha. As well as the look and the music of the series.