Tags:
  1. Paradise671

Paradise671 New Member

I dont get it?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Paradise671, Jan 6, 2008.

Hey im new to book writing, and i got a question.

When i want to copyright my book can i just make my own copyright like on my book i will just write the copyright thing or do i have to register at copyright.gov. Cause i want to publish my book at lulu.com

2. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Hmm I'm not sure about that one you could try asking TW Erwin he knows loads of stuff about copyrights and publishing

3. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

there is a thread somewhere about copywriting. I will try and find it for you. Or you could PM mammamaia as she knows a great deal about this sort of thing.

Torana

4. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

5. Axis

Axis Member

Copyright is a complicated issue, and the laws governing it change in different countries. Ring your local writers centre of writers guild, and they will give you good local advice.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are forum threads on copyright in the forum, and there are also a couple links in the Writing Resource Links thread.

7. mercy

mercy Senior Member

Great link. Thanks Cogito

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

for the real skinny on all things to do with copyright, go to the source:

U.S. Copyright Office

if you want to self-publish with lulu [or anyone else], it's best to register your already existing copyright with the gov't office, though lulu may do that for you [check with them, first], as traditional publishers do...

the main thing you need to know is that you already have a copyright on your work... you don't 'get' it anywhere... it exists from the moment you have a completed work in any reproducable form... after that, all you do is 'register' it... you can also do that with wga, the writer's union...

hope that helps... if you want more specific info or help with anything, feel free to email me any time...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

9. Plucko

Plucko New Member

Any artist's work is automatically copyrighted, so you don't need to do anything for that. But perhaps there's also a way to "register" it in some way, for your own (well, your work's) security?

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. It's important to know the specifics in your country. For the most part, copyright exists for you when you complete the work, but registrationprovides a legal record that makes it easier to prove you properly own the copyright.

Registration fees are not exorbitant, but are probably only worth investing in under certain circumstances, discussed in detail in other threads.

The Writing Resource Links thread in this General Writing subforum contains a couple of relevant links, but does not contain a comprehensive list for all countries.

11. LinRobinson

LinRobinson Banned

One concern that tends to cross all boundaries is proof of prior authorship. If you can establish your authorship of the work prior to what anybody else can prove, it's hard to shake you off it.

There are lots of ways of doing this, and actually placing pieces on the internet is one way to do it. Others might be leaving a copy with an attourney, showing the work to a group of solid witnesses, etc.

Actually, it's well to keep in mind, theft of manuscripts is a pretty rare event. It very seldom happens to new writers.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

writers register their copyright/work in the us either at U.S. Copyright Office or www.wga.org or www.wgae.org... or both wga and gov't...

beyond that, the best way to prove you wrote something is to save your first idea notes/outlines and a couple of progressive drafts, to show the development from idea to completed work... a 'thief' won't have such a paper trail...

13. LinRobinson

LinRobinson Banned

Or dozens of other places.

Paper trail doesn't matter. If they can present a manuscript, they can easily present a bunch of notes and such.

If you can show authorship earlier than they can, you win.

In the US you have to be Library of Congress registered to bring suit, but we're talking about world here, not U.S.

The people who worry about this the most are those with the least to worry about.