1. beyondhuman

beyondhuman New Member

I don't like writing. thoughts and solutions?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by beyondhuman, Jul 14, 2013.

I love creating the story, selecting the wording, and thinking through the plot.

However, I hate the tedious task of typing up my writing. Maybe I should set aside longer works and focus on short stories for a while to build up endurance or something.

Has anybody else encountered this? What did you do to get yourself to enjoy sitting down and actually writing?
    Anybody have any other thoughts on this issue?

Thanks

2. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Well there're people out there who're content to think up stories, never to write them - if you're one of those, then you're fine as you are. Do you care if people ever read your stories, if they know your stories, characters, and your name?

If you definitely want people to read your stories, you could think about getting a dictaphone - so you can speak and record it instead of write. Later you can transcribe it - that'd just be mindless typing, which wouldn't be much work.

Or you could get software that has voice recognition and can convert what you speak into typed words. I don't know any specific software, but it exists and even Google uses it for their search engines on PCs and Android. This would help you bypass the physical typing.

However, in the end, it's still work - you'll still have to go back, make sure you catch typos. Once it's all typed up, you'll still need to go through the tedious task of editing, which no software could do for you, which would include rewriting too. Writing a real book is hard work, and the only solution really is sheer discipline. Your idea of building some stamina for it is a good idea.

All the best :)

3. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributing Member

You might want to consider screenwriting: that requires far less words, but the odds of a movie being made from your script are much less than the odds of your novel being published.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I'm a little confused by your question insofar as you say you love "selecting the wording," but you hate the "writing." If you're selecting the wording, aren't you writing? I've always composed as I've typed, so I'm doing those things simultaneously. If you like thinking about the writing and choosing the specific language, but it is the act of typing specifically that you don't like, maybe you should investigate the voice recognition software/speech to text programs that are out there (and Mckk mentioned.)

If it's not the typing you dislike, then what is it?

5. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I think the solution would be to change your approach. I think I know what is happening. You think up a story then plot it out. Once you've done that you become bored with your own idea, you feel like you have already written and explored the whole thing, so why bother actually writing it down? You are what I'd call an adventurous writer. You think in broad strokes and feel that once you have the plot down, you have already lived the story. My solution would be to stop outlining your plots. Just sit down, write and see where your imagination takes you. Good luck!

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

If you don't like writing are you really sure that you want to be a writer? No matter how you go about committing your words to paper or screen, it's still going to require actual writing. The only way out of it that I can see is to partner up with someone who does like writing, but most of them I would guess, also like having the ideas and would still expect you to carry some of the writing load.

Cheers, Greg.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

My suggestion is the same as the one offered by Macaberz. I (and others) call it "discovery writing"; that is, it's writing in which you discover your story as you write it. There is no (or very little) planning involved. Grab a pen and paper and start scribbling away (or use a keyboard if you must). Sooner or later, something will start to emerge - a character, a setting, the beginning threads of a plot. That might be a way for you to stay interested.

I have almost the opposite problem. I love putting sentences and paragraphs together. I feel like it's almost an imposition on me to have to come up with characters and stories in order to do so.

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I think I understand what you're trying to say. I do experience this to an extent. I love writing but the physical act of it can feel tedious. My hands can never seem to keep up with my brain when I'm on a great roll. I have the same issue with art sometimes. My hands also have a tendency to get some pretty bad pains in them when I don't vary what I'm doing with them. I have some nerve damage to my arms and hands so I think that's a big part of it.

Voice recognition software has always appealed to me. I love talking about what I'm writing. I just don't always feel like my hands are up for the job. I often wind up cutting myself off even when I have more I want to say because my hands are bothering me too much. It's not a constant problem but more of one I have after prolonged periods. I should probably look into ways to exercise my hands or to help reset the pain threshold. :p I'm sure there's exercises.

I'm not sure if your problem is something similar to this or not. It just sounded similar.

9. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

Use a tape recorder and sequentially speak out your story. Then go back to it later?

10. Kita

Kita Senior Member

Sticking with the audio idea. This may be a long shot but have you considered audiobooks? As far as I know you'd need to self publish if you took that route but it may be worth looking into.

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

Audiobooks still have to be written and edited. And, like ebooks, trade publishers do them as well. ;)

12. Steve Day

Steve Day Senior Member

I love creating the story, selecting the wording, and thinking through the plot.

However, I hate the tedious task of typing up my writing.

Become a Bard. If you can play an instrument, a Minstrel.
    Both are honored professions and predate the written word by millennia!

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

look up the word 'dilettante'...

it's not 'writing' till it's written down... if you want to be an author of fiction, you have to actually write... which, in today's world = 'type'!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Writing entails a great deal of work. It's not just chronicling daydreams, no matter how imaginative they may be.

It's not for everyone, and that's okay.

15. mrieder79

mrieder79 Not a ground squirrel

Are you searching for a way to develop the desire and discipline to write or searching for an alternative outlet for your storytelling?

16. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributing Member

They could do what Lionel Fanthorpe did, and get a group of typing students to type up the recordings into manuscript form as practice.

Except I guess you'd have to look hard these days to find a group of typing students...

17. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

If you're comitted to being the author of written works, then there's little else you can do except grit your teeth and get on with it. Or perhaps find some really good speech transcription software.

Maybe you'd be better suited to being a folk storyteller / spoken word artist? With hard work and skill it's possible to earn a living from it. You still need the same discipline you'd need in order to be a writer, but there's likely to be a lot less typing.