Tags:
  1. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Contributing Member

I Feel Like The Only One

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by lilix morgan, Apr 27, 2009.

Okay, so I know this is going to come off completely stupid and probably moronic because the title, I know for a fact, is not true, but I felt the need to kind of address this.

Lately I've fallen into a horrible slump with all of my stories. Short stories, potential novels, everything has just become impossible for me to try and write. I sit in front of the computer, ideas ready and in hand, and nothing comes from it. Depression with frustration sits in, and I become bitter towards myself for not being able to write like I had a month ago. I stall, entertain myself with something mindless, and the ideas sit and gather dust. Ideas that sparkle, shine, and need no polishing and can be thrown right into my book, all of a sudden no longer just... are able to be translated onto paper or documents on the computer.

I figured maybe it was just because I was getting stuffed with things more than usual- prom, graduation project, pressure on the guy who likes me but I don't like him like that, homework (waaay more than usual), forms for college, etc. etc. The list is huge, and typically when I see more than two problems I throw my hands up and shut everything out. But several things on that list have been resolved, so I no longer feel as bad. Prom prep is going smoothly, I have the graduation project sketched in my head and plan to have it done by Wednesday, and I decided to keep the relationship dynamic between the guy and me as friends for both our sakes. Why am I still so down about writing, then?

After that I hedged that it might have been my setting. I've been stuck in front of computers for the past three months completely with no air from the outside world. At first I figured I could fix this with a notebook and some pens, but even as the ideas came to me and I wrote them down, I became angry because I have this thing with my handwriting; I hate it. Can't stand the sight of my print. I'd rather stare at a computer screen and read that print than my own handwriting. So I started using my cell as a short recorder of ideas. Well, voice playback doesn't settle well with me, either. Don't get me wrong, my voice is nice and all, but I don't like hearing it back to me later on. I cringe at the sound of my voice on a TV or recording.

To round my little rant and vent and major questionaire full circle, I'll ask you the question sitting on my tongue. Does anyone else go through this kind of period, where you just don't want to write? And if you do, nothing comes from it in the end? How did you cope with this? Did you get back onto the writing wagon later on?

2. architectus

architectus Banned

It usually only lasts a couple of days for me. I force myself to at least write a paragraph on those days.

What if you try dragon speaking?

3. RuthieMost

RuthieMost New Member

Dear Lilix,
    It is true, you are not alone. I would say these dry episodes are experienced by all writers; it certainly has happened to me more than once.
    Tackling a book at this time in your life is quite a challenge. I'm amazed by you. Your book will come along if it's meant to be....be patient with yourself. Do try to write something every day though, whether it is a letter to someone, a short story or just a short-short piece. Exercise in writing has to have periods of stretching.
    I read once that many of the greats got into these dry times. One sat down and just wrote whatever came to mind, just to make something go on paper (or computer in our time). Regurgitating on the paper is what it's called. Yes, it is a mess but something may come from it.
    In the book I'm working on, I write down my scene ideas as they come to me, or just a sentense or two - all in a seperate file. Later I glean them into the book. It is still writing even when it is only short notes or scenes.
    If you're use to writing on the computer, you may find it hard to use any other medium. I use to only write on paper, then started writing on the computer. Now I rarely can get my juices going on paper, except for making notes about ideas.
    Sit down and write/type all your ideas in a file. It may help and you won't lose them that way. But if you chose to just relax till school is out and not work on your book till then, it's not a crime. Give yourself some slack time once in a while to just enjoy life in general.
    If you are a writer at heart, it can't help but burst forth from you. We're like volcano's our core gets hot with ideas, the pressure builds till we spew them out of us.

4. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

I've never actually experienced a time in my life where I couldn't write something, whether it was a novel I wanted to work on, a journal, a poem, or...randomly, fan fiction. If I'm not getting anywhere with a novel, I'll just turn to writing something else until that muse comes back.

I honestly can't ever imaging not wanting/being able to write.

~Lynn

5. Okie

Okie Member

You just wrote this post, that was writing. Maybe focus less on the writing process and more on what it is you want to say. If you have nothing to say, I really don't think it could hurt to not write for a couple of days. Go watch a movie, read a book, take a day at the beach, whatever it is that gets your mind out of the robotic must-write-something-anything-mentality.

6. lilix morgan

Hasn't been this bad since middle school. I guess I might just be too overwhelmed to try and do anything right now.

Anywho, what is dragon speaking? I know of dragon script, but I don't know this.

Yeah, I'm trying to just think in a writing format, let little stories drift in my noggin while in school, and write down tidbits in class and stuff. So far I'm alright, but I'm not writing what I'd like to write right now.
    I am confused though; what do you mean by amazed?

It's not that I don't want to write, don't get that idea. I do want to write. I just don't feel the surge, the power at my fingers, or the spark I need.

I'll give that a whirl; maybe not start anything seriously until after this week, which knocks off prom, grad projects and more in like three days.

7. sophie.

sophie. Contributing Member

Haven't written anything in ages and what I did write was just a crappy poem. :( Ha I just come on here to read other stuff.

I keep telling myself this will all change in a couple of months after my exams and crap finish but..ah who knows?! My mind is blank at the moment.

8. Emmy

Emmy Member

Who said something to the effect of, you can't wait for inspiration to come - you have to hunt it down with a stick.

??

I think you just have to keep chipping away. I know when I don't write, because I'm busy or consumed or involved, I feel completely weird. Like I'm only one dimensional or paper thin, or there's something huge missing.

There's a great article I found about busting writer's block on 40 things. I made postcards with the suggestions and put them on my bulletin board. They help when I'm stumped.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't, never have, never expect to...

for those who do have the problem, the secret is to focus on just ONE project you want/need to finish and ignore all the others till you've gotten to the end of something... that will prove to you that you can finish a piece...

stop trying to write everything at once... ignore the forest and focus on a single tree...

10. Mystery Meat

Mystery Meat Member

Or my favourite sentiment: When your work fills your eyes and you cannot see your way through, change what work you do. A change of work is as good as a rest.

Stop worrying about the block. See a movie, buy (or borrow) a new book. Read something that you would not normally read (a murder mystery, a classic piece of literature, a trashy fantasy novel). Steal their ideas and make them your own.

It is not a crime to borrow from others, just give something fresh and new back to the story.

11. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

I've gone through periods of writer's block where I sit down at the computer and I stare at my manuscript or whatever, but nothing comes to mind that I want to write down. It can last for days, and can be a bit frustrating at times. Even frightening if you let it get to you that you can't or don't want to write anymore.

The only advice I can give on this is to give yourself some time. I've found that sitting back from my writing, or working on smaller projects of interest, reading, drawing, etc. gives my brain a chance to rest and gather more ideas for the story. If you don't feel like writing at all for now, Lilix, then I would suggest working on other hobbies or interests that you have.

Hope that I helped.

12. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

I'm going through the same thing as you, which is kewl cuz I'm just editing my novel right now. :)

Maybe you should just take a break and see where your life is headed, then get back to writing when you feel ready to? That's my current tactic.

13. CloudyDreamer

CloudyDreamer New Member

lilix morgan, you're not the only one. I'm having the EXACT same problem. I haven't written anything decent in months, partly because I've written considerably less due to my lack of inspiration. But what I'm learning now is you have to keep writing, even if you think it's trash. The consistency will help keep your writers ear sensitive, and by writing out all of your ideas down- including the "bad ones," you'll be more likely into turning one into a finished piece.

And there's nothing wrong with your handwriting looking like chicken scratch, it's supposed to when your on a roll! (If it looks too good, you're probably more focused on lettering than the actual quality.) Besides, you can always fix it later if you presenting it to someone.

Another idea is to just write about yourself. Pretend you're a fictional character and write your actual feelings down in third (or first person). It could be about anything from trouble sleeping to writers block!

So in closing...

Just go for it and let whatever ideas come out as they may.

14. arron89

arron89 Banned

It sounds really trashy, but fan fiction is great for curing writer's block. The characters are alread made, and you know that no matter how bad it seems to you, its not much wrse than the stuff some people are getting paid to write, and anyway, after 300 words or s you're probably already getting into the writing zone (lol i sond like a motivational speaker....) so you can just burst into something else!

15. Emmy

Emmy Member

I think fan fiction is fascinating (say that three times fast!), actually. True, the characters are already created, but it takes a certain level of concentration to be able to put one's self in those character's shoes and be authentic.

Great idea!

16. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

I am going through the same thing, except it has been going on now for nearly five months and I can't even open a Word file to look at anything. I have until Friday to turn in a poem for a magazine and for the first time in over ten years of contributing to this magazine, I don't think I can do anything. :eek:

17. CloudyDreamer

CloudyDreamer New Member

When in doubt, write about writers block! It's a surprisingly engaging topic, both for the writer and reader. I've mentioned this earlier but I think it's good for inspiration, especially for poems. It's like not seeing the forest for the trees- you have inspiration right there.

18. lilix morgan

Actually, that's not trashy at all. My love for writing and coming up with stories began with fanfiction. I was majorly into HP about 4 years ago, enough to create a character who fit right into that scenario and storyline with Harry himself. It's what sparked my fuel for writing like a mad-man, coming up with new ideas and massive plot twists that would scare the hair off of anyone.

19. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo Member

If it makes you feel better I'm going through the same exact thing.

During the day: Think about my story every period
    During the Night: Go on forums/AIM. Tell myself I'll do it tomorrow.

Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat

20. Nervous1st

Nervous1st Senior Member

Sigh. Yep, I'm exactly same. It's all I think about and then when I finally get 5 minutes to sit down and write.....

nothing.

21. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

Hello! I'm a new member of these forums. :)

I didn't get writers block at first, when I began my novel it was basically my reason for living. I was ABSORBED in it, and completely and in love with my characters, so much so that I was probably working 12+ hour days.

But then things changed up a bit, I was on perhaps the 3rd edit of my novel and getting reviews and critiques and what not, and I decided to take a break. I needed to get out to the real world for a bit, so I got on a plane and went backpacking in Asia for 2 months. I had so many crazy experiences and adventures.

Well, prior to departure I had figured going on an adventure of my own would only inspire me to finish my book. But the reality was, it took me wayyyy out of focus, and while it did inspire me a lot, it inspired a ton of ideas for OTHER books and stories when I really needed to focus on finishing THIS project.

So, I've been back a month now and have supposed to have been working the whole time, but I've really just been sitting around a lot in a bit of a funk. I'm sure you know the deal. Opening up the file with the intention of working on a chapter, only to end up watching youtube vids, listening to music or sitting there staring off into space. It's been extremely difficult, but finally, after really forcing myself, I'm beginning to reconnect to my characters and get back into the story, and I'm really ready to commit myself fully to finishing this project.

So yeah, I totally understand. You just have to force yourself, I think. It comes back, when you really throw yourself into it.

I won't go taking off on any crazy adventures again until this book is finished! I definitely learned my lesson. The next time I go traveling I want to have a clear conscious to come up with new ideas and run with them instead of always thinking "No! Focus on the book!"

22. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I'm somewhere, I get this brilliant idea...can't wait to get back home...at home, I pull out a piece of paper or open Word......and...nothing!

My block in fact doesn't feel like a block! It's like I couldn't write anything to start with!

23. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributing Member Contributor

I used to have that problem too. To help, I usually try to remember ideas as either one or a series of concrete images. Sometimes I'll write the images down on a scrap of paper to remember them.

I.E.
    A dead tree in a frozen field (Dead tree - frozen field)
    A still pond in summer twilight (still pond - summer twilight)
    A young girl chatting animatedly on a phone (girl on phone)
    etc. etc.

This might not work for anyone else, but it's worked wonders for me. As long as I assign an association with each image, I can usually remember exactly what I was thinking.

24. Atari

Atari Active Member

I'm basically like that all of the time. I never want to write anything, even when I want to. I refuse to sit and write.

25. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

YEah, I get that too. That's why when I'm actually doing the first draft of anything I always carry a lil notebook and paper around with me. I get these moments of inspiration where the PERFECT sentence or paragraph comes to mind, and I know if I don't write it down RIGHT THEN and there, I will lose it!