1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

I feel like this is border line plagerism.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheDarkWriter, Aug 12, 2013.

I'm writing story that takes place in hell. The idea is that hell is a place where Sinners are trapped and bound in chains and tormented for all eternity. I worry it's too much like the 4th movie bleach movie where these beings called sinners humans that are also bound in chains and forced to suffer all eternity suffer. It's similar but there are severe differences like what hell looks like and the creatures that reside in hell tormenting the characters are also different. The plot is also completely different as well. Aside from some key similarities where the rules of hell are concerned it's very different story wise. The characters in the story aren't even like the ones in Bleach. Should I be worried?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I can't be sure without reading both works, but it sounds as if both of you are using the classic definition of Hell, so it seems to me that you're drawing on common culture rather than plagiarizing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I agree with ChickenFreak. You're simply using the classical use of Hell, and that on its own is perfectly fine. And if your plot and story is different as well, it's nowhere near plagiarism. :)

4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Nah, sounds like you'll be fine :) Isn't that what Hell is supposed to do, bind and torture sinners? So no, I wouldn't consider what you're doing plagerism... plagiarism.

Good luck!

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

All new writing, no matter how original, has some themes in common with previous writing, many consciously so (West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet, for example). You said that it's a different story with different characters. Based on what you've said here, I think you're in good shape.

6. mrieder79

mrieder79 Not a ground squirrel

Hmmm.... I think you may be in danger of plagiarizing the Bible. Can you go to hell for plagiarizing? Anyway, I agree with everyone else. Simply having a similar setting does not constitute plagiarism.

7. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

You can't generally copyright an ideas, and that idea's as old as the hills. Whoever you'd theoretically owe royalties to died before the discovery of agriculture. As long as you avoid using the same names for similar characters and places you're fine, and try to avoid using similar plots as well although that's unlikely to cause major trouble.