1. punchthedamnkeys

punchthedamnkeys Member

i feel like...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by punchthedamnkeys, Apr 3, 2013.

i have a really good story to write, and but doubting my writing ability to pen it out on paper as good as it could be

what then?

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It won't be worth a damned thing if you don't actually write it.

3. SwampDog

SwampDog Contributing Member

But you won't know unless you try! And then you revise. And revise again.

Why don't you spell out your specific doubts, and perhaps that will focus support for you in the right areas?

4. Hannibal Alexander

Hannibal Alexander Senior Member

i think that you should just outline everything.
    look, i can't really talk. i have put pen to paper but haven't finished any of my stories... but it does help ME personally just to outline what i want to happen, it kinda gets the ball rolling.
    and than just WRITE! that's what I've been told, don't overthink when you write (which is difficult) but just get your thoughts out... and than worry about formatting and grammar and all that crap.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sit down and write it any ol' way it comes out... don't worry about quality till after you've got the basic story down on paper... you can't fix what doesn't yet exist, can you?

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I think a lot of writers feel the same way - I know I do.
    I try to write anyway - because I can at least work with a first draft. It's looking
    over the first draft that's scary.

7. musicgirl87

musicgirl87 Member

As an aspiring writer I understand that fear very well, though I think it doesn’t only affect noobs like me.

I have been tempted on at least two occasions to abandon the story I'm currently working on for that very reason. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that since I couldn't get the story off my mind anyway I might as well just write it the best that I could even though the final result, if someday comes, won't completely satisfy me.

So my two cents worth of advice is that if you think the story is worth it and you feel like writing it above any other idea you may have, try it. The previous posts offer you a great way to approach your hesitance: write it down without obsessing too much about doing it justice, to get the blue prints down, and then with posterior revisions work on polishing the story to a finalized state, doing your best to achieve your aspirations for it. That is my plan and the only reason while I get anything written (slowly but steady).

I agree outlining the story you have in mind might be a good idea too if you haven't done so already and need to build some confidence to feel that you can manage to write the story you want. I think it might help visualizing it as a whole while also allowing you to focus on specific parts if you need. For me, as a control freak and an insecure person, helps me feel like I'm in control of the situation and writing the story is a manageable task.

So I guess it's a matter of finding some confidence within yourself to try to write the story you want to tell or finding the tools to build some.

Or maybe I didn't really get your point and that's not really your issue. So excuse me if I'm missing the point.

8. TLK

TLK Active Member

Look at that quote in my sig. That's the only reason I've started writing my novel. Even if you just write a chapter every now and again, slowly getting it down, that's good. You don't need to dedicate huge blocks of time to it.

You might not think that it'll be that good once it's written down but even so, it's a lot more use then than it is stuck in your head.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just do it. Your first efforts won't be great, but so what? Your learning curve will be mmuch steeper when you have a lot to learn. So set yourself up with a scheduled time to write each day, and punch the damned keys! :)

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

If you're worried about anything, put it out of your mind. Just write without worry or hesitation. It's the first draft, it's supposed to be bad.

Every revision, every re-write will help improve your skills. How can you improve on something if you don't even start? The more you do, the better you'll get at it.

11. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

It's a hill you have to climb. It begins steep, but levels out the higher you reach.

You need to just write it, my friend! According to many, every first draft is terrible. If it really bothers you that you are going to ruin this great idea, then put it to one side for a while - write just enough about it that you won't forget as time passes, and PRACTICE. Then, one day, when you've gained in skill and (more importantly) confidence, come back to this idea and start writing :)

Every writer who has ever written something masterful will most likely have thought they were terrible writers at least 60% of the time when they first started practicing the craft. That's because it takes time to build up the confidence in yourself and your abilities. But it does NEED to be built, and the bricks won't be laid by themselves. Consider it your unofficial homework to write, and know that it's more useful and rewarding than any "official" homework you've ever been given!