1. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

I feel that I need to change the way I tell a story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by A.L.Mitchell, Aug 21, 2012.

Lately, I feel that that my storytelling isn't as strong as it could be, as I seem to get ideas but when I write them, they never seem to be as good as I first thought. Any advice would really help. I want to know where I am going wrong.

2. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

In what way? Examples would help.

3. A.L.Mitchell

At the moment my stories(short stories) just seem to be random and nothing make sense.

4. captain kate

Do you have a point A, to start with and a point D, the end? That's the thing you need to start with a short story. Point B is your narrative hook, do you know what that is? Point C would be the events building up for the climax and resolution at point D.

Those are the steps you need to understand for the writing to keep a concise message. Once you know A,B and D, the rest falls into place.

5. Cynglen

Cynglen Senior Member

An artist/author is rarely satisfied with what might well be impressive work. If you've decided the ideas aren't as good as you thought but haven't consulted anyone else, why not pick out a story or two you've written and post them for review in The Writing Workshop section? I know I improved a lot after other people there critiqued and commented on my works. Only catch is you have to do two reviews of other people's works for every one of your works you post, or Cogito will lock your post until you do some quality reviewin'.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I agree you should put some of your work up and get objective comments on it. Writers tend to go to one extreme or the other - either their work is God's gift to readership or they suck. The truth is usually somewhere in between. :)

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If your stories feel random and disconnected, you may want to analyze the plot network. Plot is NOT the story line, which is the chronology of events. A plot is a dynamic structure consisting of an actor, a goal or objective, a motivation, and an opposition. An opposition can itself be a plot, or plots can reinforce one another.

Read What is Plot Creation and Development?

8. captain kate

Exactly. You know you've matured as a writer, and grown in confidence when you realize you're writing falls into the middle. I know my writing is good Sci Fi,, but it will never match Heinlein, Asimov, or the masters. The odds, unless we're very gifted, aren't in our favor to be considered one "of the greats." A lot of time, it's satisfying to be the best you can be.

9. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

I've felt this way before. What helped me was reading alot, seeing how others did things. It helped me feel inspired and develop a writing style. As a side point, I feel like reading a few really god awful stories actually helped me out. I saw a couple dozen things I would have done differently to make it a better story. It gave me confidence and idea of what not to do.

Another thing that helped me was just plowing through and continuing writing. It may be hard, but practice will help whether its revising things you've already written, or writing new stories.

10. Daniel Bucci

Daniel Bucci New Member

You should feel the way you feel. An artist/author, as Cynglen said, always finds their work not as satisfying; they feel they must make it "Better." It is normal for you to feel that way, and should be proud of yourself. It is a good way to create a story/art piece more vividly. It allows you to master your craft. Think of yourself as a perfectionist; you want your writing to be perfect. Though, it is good to seek help from others who discovered the treasures of answers. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself." I love that quote and always will till the day of my last breath. Wish you luck, A.L.Mitchell.

11. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Personally, I feel that quality writing is hard to come by. Every, say, 1 or 2 pieces in 6, for me, end up being above average. The rest are just, meh. I'm a 'professional writing minor' (w.e that means) at uni and for our end of the year portfolio, you have to meet with the prof 3 times and talk about your work and how you feel about writing. He kind of echoed that for me... if you want decent writing you have to write A LOT and pick and choses the pieces that are good. Because, more often than not, it won't be amazing. No writer is capable of writing gold every time he/she writes.

My advice to you is to write and write and eventually you will find that place you want to be. It can be really tough, but I think that's the way I'd go.

12. A.L.Mitchell

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I shell do that after I do some reviewing.
    Yeah I do agree there, and if and when I send it onto the workshop, I will able to learn.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Yeah it is hard, but I think one day i will grasp it sooner then later.
    I agree there and that the way I will go.