1. Marjatta

Marjatta New Member

Quoting text that contains bullet points

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Marjatta, Apr 7, 2011.

Hi all,

I'm reviewing an article that someone else wrote, and they have quoted a letter they received.

Normally, I would start each paragraph with opening quotation marks and only add closing quotation marks at the end of the last paragraph. In this case, however, the letter also contains bullet points, and I'm not sure whether each bullet should also have opening quotation marks.

The quote looks like this:

"Text, text, text, text, text, text.

"More text, more text, more text, more text, more text, and more text.

* Bullet point
    * Bullet point
    * Bullet point

"Text, text, text, text, text."

Would it look odd to have each bullet have an opening quotation mark, as per the example below?

* "Bullet point
    * "Bullet point
    * "Bullet point

I'm not sure if there are any rules about this, but my internet research hasn't been very successful. Also, the author of the article does not want to lose the bullet points.

Thanks for your help!

Marjatta

2. Omega14

Omega14 New Member

Long pieces of quoted material should be laid out as "displayed matter", ie. set out with space above and below and indented from the rest of the text. If a quote is displayed like this then the use of quotation marks is unnecessary. This is normally how quoted text longer than a couple of sentences is presented in most published material.

In other words, it would look like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec volutpat erat sapien, at faucibus massa. Vivamus eget lorem sit amet orci tincidunt ullamcorper quis eget ipsum. In eros est, tincidunt eget suscipit vitae, volutpat eget nisi. Aliquam at augue quis enim tristique lobortis ut sed lectus. Quisque venenatis, lorem nec cursus luctus, mi neque gravida risus, nec aliquet felis eros eu nulla. Sed ut lectus orci. Ut pulvinar massa ut turpis gravida ut auctor odio venenatis. Vivamus commodo blandit sollicitudin. Duis adipiscing lacinia erat scelerisque ornare. Nulla facilisi. Suspendisse at tellus ante. Ut ultricies sapien sed mi rutrum tincidunt. Maecenas sollicitudin consequat nunc eget facilisis. Donec rutrum ligula vitae urna condimentum mollis. ​

The rest of the text carries on as normal afterwards. Within the displayed material you could retain the bullet points.

Rachel

3. Marjatta

Marjatta New Member

Rachel, you rock!

Thank you for this excellent workaround (one I wasn't aware of).

Marjatta

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is called a 'block insert' or 'block indent' and is used for all 'inserted' stuff... could be letters, emails, quotations, whatever... should be indented the same amount on both sides, but not with justified margins... still even on left, ragged on right...

5. Marjatta

Marjatta New Member

Awesome, thank you! That makes perfect sense to me, and I will be editing accordingly from now on.

M