I had the most dumbest review ever...

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Obezyanka, Apr 17, 2009.

1. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

It must be a real bummer having world-wide literary recognition and millions in the bank.

I sure hope I never attain such status either. :rolleyes:

2. architectus

architectus Banned

I think King is a pretty good writer. He builds believable and real character's. I think he is the master of it really. It lacks in other areas, however. He still wrote some great stories.

3. garmar69

I gotta say one thing. His last few books have been a real snooze.

Cheesy writing or not...I've spent a good many hours lost in his writing. The Stand is a fine novel. If a bit too long

4. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

I'm about as fame hungry as the average American Idol contestant, but fame and fortune do not a happy person make. Fame doesn't make you a good writer either.

Literary recognition? Most literary critics pan the embittered novelist known as King, and rightly so.

5. garmar69

I suspect you're missing the point.

"Literary" means of or relating to or characteristic of literature; which is published writings in a particular style on a particular subject.

Having your own opinions is great. Using those opinions to make false assumptions...not so great.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Sure, King hasn't won any literary awards, but he sure knows what MANY people want to read.

As far as his recent books, I did like Cell. It was one of his best paced novels, if not the best paced.

7. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Thanks for the info, sweetheart. ;) Twilight could be considered literature in that case, doesn't mean it's quality writing. King will certainly be remembered in years to come.... as a popular trashy novelist. It won't be a respectable recognition.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a King bashing thread, was just pointing out to the OP that saying ''I'll never be Stephen King'' isn't really a negative statement. ;)

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Back on topic, please. For those who have forgotten, it's about the frustration of vapid, useless "reviews" like:

9. hyperknees91

hyperknees91 New Member

If the reviewer hasn't written more than two sentences then it isn't worth reading more than likely (his review that is).

Sometimes I'm at a loss of what to say and am short on advice but I at least try to convey the feelings I have about the paper (though even then I probably don't do the best job).

10. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

It's about effort. If you're not bothered to spend the time it takes to at least ponder what you've read, then post your conclusion, you don't deserve to have your own material responded to. Anyway, people don't seem to realise it's not all about posting your own work, hoping to be smothered in uber-positive feedback. In my experience, you learn much more about your own writing through critiquing other work, as well as reading critiques posted by other members.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah. Just a youngun'. They'll get teh hang of it soon enough... or they won't in which case other kids will stop sharing their Legos.

I remember Prodigy, but when I was 14, modems hooked up via acoustic couplers and there was no internet to be found... :redface:

[​IMG]

12. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

I'm sorry to say this, but I reckon I have you beat.

<link removed>

Had two comments that were alright, but one of the other two boggles the mind and well, the other isn't exactly an inspiring post.

Jack: Need more facts. ( I'm fine with this)

Sharissa: idk

Austin: is silly (I understand the 'idk' bit even if I dislike internet slang but this one takes the piss. I mean, what the hell is 'is silly' supposed to mean in context to what the 'article' was about? If the link wasn't clicked, it's about Mark Twain facts, so it's hardly as though I set out to parody something.)

Plug: need more facts that aren't common knowledge. (I'm also fine with that.)

Anyways, I'm not frustrated by the comments. They were posted in March so it was a while ago and it didn't even frustrate me when those comments popped up. I must admit though, I did go 'eh?' when I saw 'is silly'. I just posted it really because I find it a tad amusing.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, the 'is silly' comment could have referred to the person telling me I needed more facts. But even that doesn't really make much sense.

13. Edge

Edge New Member

Sorry Dave, I’ve got you beat...sort of, no useless reviews...no reviews at all for that matter. The thing I posted was a bit long, but I figured someone would at least give it a try.

14. Gurari

Gurari New Member

Meh. If you were insulted by this and are unsure of the person's intention, ask for clarification. If you feel it was blatantly sarcastic, feel free to message the douche and say something like "and your 14, fool", or alternatively, make an effort to coldly analyze every detail of one of the douche's stories to a degree that not only debases their intellectual level but also implies that they should never again put forth the effort to provide a useless crit.

And that's not going overboard (treat it like, "you killed my cat, now I kill your whole family")...

Alright, that's all a joke. Who cares what a 14 year old has to say anyway? The kid barely has pubic hair.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I know it was a joke, but don't ever do that on this site.

If a review is completely useless, thank the critic and move on.

Or turn around and give the person a thorough review. Not out of spite. thougj; as an example he or she can learn from.

16. Gurari

Gurari New Member

Oops sorry, didn't mean to put bad ideas in people's heads...everyone here is pretty optimistic about each other and I feel attempts to give good crits (i.e. constructive), and from the responses I see that people here aren't very petty either, so I hope no one takes that joke seriously! my bad if they do.