Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxllamaxishxx

xxllamaxishxx New Member

Ideas please.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by xxllamaxishxx, Feb 22, 2009.

I've had writers block for a while now and I'm growing tired of it. I'm trying to write a story that would gain the attention of 13-17 year olds. I can't seem to come up with a plot or characters that go well with a plot. I don't want my story to seem too cliché either. I may seem like I'm asking for a lot but all I'm asking for is a few interesting plot suggestions. I can work well from there. There are no limits to your suggestions; you can come up with mystical creature type stories or your ordinary teen story. I really appreciate it. :D

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Since it's your story, it's best if you come up with your own plot and ideas. Just start writing random things if you can't think of anything. You might get some ideas that way.

3. xxllamaxishxx

xxllamaxishxx New Member

Mhmm. Yeah I knew I would recieve replies like this. Not that its bad. I realized after I posted this thread that if someone replied to it with a plot that it wouldn't be tottaly my story. I'll try and come up with a few ideas shortly. Hopefully they'll be good.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

You could write about a group of school children somewhere in Europe. But the twist is that they are WIZARDS and their school is not like a regular school, because it is a WIZARD school!
    :D

When I am unable to think of a plot I usually pick something totally innate and random, like a stick or a car fender, and free write from there. Make that thing interesting and then see where the story goes. Sure the first couple of rounds will not be useable, but it will eventually turn into somthing that is. It works for me anyway. Besure to write the story for 2-4 years older than your target market, and good luck!

5. xxllamaxishxx

xxllamaxishxx New Member

I've tried that and so far I've come up with nothing.
    I can't seem to continue where I start from. I think my problem is my insecurities and what not. I'm very critical about everything I do.

6. ConnorMack

ConnorMack New Member

What do you like? What are your interests? Do you like comedies? Romance? Horror? What is a topic that you sincerely like to talk about? You always have to ask yourself this before anything can happen on that piece of paper before you. Do you like animals? Well then write something from the perspective of your favorite animal. Is there a friend that you find so much more unique than anyone you've ever met? Write about it. No one can ever tell you what you should write, that's kind of the beauty of it. It would be easy for anyone to tell you 'Hey, you should write about vampires, or flamingos'. If anyone tells you what to write or how to write it, that's taking away the creativity of writing itself. It may seem hard at first, but you must put the pieces of a plot together yourself. Only then can you truly call it yours. I hope this helps you in the slightest way too! :)

7. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

The point is not to continue from where you start; you are starting at 'no ideas' and wanting to end at 'complete story'. The exercise is just there to get ideas flowing.

Other good ones: "Things I know/ things everyone knows about a person or topic" "I don't know why I remember X" or just render a scene you recall from a recent point in your life and run with it (change names).

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As has already been said, the story idea needs to come from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.