I have a question for all the men here

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Amoeba, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Granville

Granville New Member

This is a really subjective question. I don't think looks or charisma are qualities that most straight men would even think about, much less evaluate in selecting their friends, though they certainly would be able to tell you which of their friends have them. I think all of us, men, women, straight or otherwise find strength of character, social acumen, intellect and education to be somewhat more influential in the list of qualities that they are attracted to in others. Having said that, I believe the character played by Matt Damon in the Borne series of movies would be someone who most men would find a bit interesting. Silent and pensive. So tough he doesn't need to show it. Decisive and resolute. Tenacious. Sincerely compassionate when appropriate but impervious to manipulation. Sensitive and caring in his relationships. Elegance isn't in it. Nor is rhetoric. But good times or bad, he wouldn't be a bad guy to have around.

2. AwesomeJosh

AwesomeJosh New Member

Well it's gotta be a guy that a male either relates to or aspires to. But I do think that misoginy is something that makes male characters very attractive. Bond, Heathcliff and Darcy are all misoginists and are considered extremely attractive -- they are also all very passionate (Sean Connery's Bond is far more passionate than the other Bond actors' interpretations). Also, individuality is something which is common in every "man's man" -- somebody who goes against the grain and who sticks to their ideals, even if it costs them. Also, they are all self-obsessed.

The ultimate man's man, imo, would be Clint Eastwood, especially as The Man with No Name. Tough, solitary, powerful, self-disciplined, man of few words, always takes the hard way instead of the easy way.

(my first post :D)

3. Granville

Granville New Member

Re. AwesomeJosh's post: I ask myself whether hatred, dislike or mistrust of women would be a quality I could admire in anyone, male or female. I don't think so, not me anyway. Certainly wouldn't want to be associated with that kind of guy. Clint though, yes. He was certainly a man's man wasn't he.