Tags:
  1. Jefferson27

Jefferson27 New Member

Novel Title for a Novel names:Original vs Standard

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Jefferson27, Jul 29, 2011.

Original vs Standard; For me, the instance means this.

The name for my sci-fi/adventure novel was "Identity". Now I have been thinking and it could be, "Everyone has a Hiruaha Moment" or just "Hiruaha". Now I know the Hiruaha part in particular will not make total sense to someone. However the question now is, does that make it less or more appealing to customers?

Thank You for your feedback on this.

2. martial_wolf

martial_wolf New Member

Personally I prefer short titles. So Hiruaha could work. The other is just...long winded. Maybe it's a bad habit from when I was young but I just lose interest when I see a title more than four words long.

3. MRD

MRD New Member

It depends on what type of book it is. If it's action, you'll want something short and snappy, comedy would call for something witty, and so on.

Something that works for a young adult fantasy book may not work for a crime/horror book.

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

I would never, in a million years, buy a book with the title "Everyone has a Hiruaha Moment". It is unspeakably twee.

Indifferent about the other two. Neither would compel me to pick the book up.

5. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Agree. Completely.

6. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

I wouldn't know how to pronounce the book title, and as such would think it's some kind of weirdo self-help book or something at first glance. ;-) Definitely stick to something simpler. I'd end up talking to my friend--"you know that hero-haha book?"

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I was stunned to find out that this really is a word.

8. teacherayala

teacherayala New Member

Yep. me, too. Now I think it will be my new favorite word this year at school. Instead of saying that something's sweet and cute and quaint, I'll just say "How twee!"

Except that twee is more like sickeningly sweet and cute...

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A title is tied to marketing, just like cover art.

If someone doesn't know how to pronounce the title, it's less likely to be picked up, or even discussed if they read/liked it. Your publisher may suggested a better title, but the agent/editor reading the query/cover letter and first chapters will be influenced somewhat by the title.

Take a look at books on the shelf at the library or book store that are similar to what you're writing (genre and age targeted to) and that will give you an idea with respect to length of title, content, etc. You might note that some publishers differ from others, and that may make a difference if you submit to them directly.

The two options you had don't strike me as awesome--man I want to know more about that novel, but that's just my opinion. Subjective. In the end, it's yours that counts. Hopefully the title and the cover art would mesh (when published), and both would hint to the potential reader what the book is about.

10. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

"Hiruaha," while not the greatest title is by far better than Identity. To be honest I would pick the book up just to figure out what Hiruaha meant. Is their any reason you couldn't title more like this "Hiruaha: Identity" or "Hiruaha Chronicle: Identity." Both sound a lot better to me anyways.

11. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Yip, "Identity" is a generic title, and the other is so obscure it evokes nothing in a passerby.