1. Space_Goose

Space_Goose New Member

Need help coming up with the name of an event

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Space_Goose, Mar 9, 2010.

Hello,

I am having problems coming up with name of the most important event in my story.

My story is about a PI who through his investigations gets caught up in what at first seems like an unrelated series of events yet all end up being part of a much larger event.

Well into the past, before my story takes place, this same even happed. It completely whipped out an entire group of people. Because it wiped out the people, there isn't much recorded about the event or what happened just that the people were wiped out in an event called "blank". The blank is what I am having problems coming up with. This event is not super natural or anything like that, it ends up being caused by a group of people. In my story, you never figure out who is causing the event and why until near the end of the story. The people are actually a foreign nation who are launching a secret invasion not for the purpose of conquest but for the purpose of wipping out a group of people.

As I read over what I have just typed, I realize that it is very weird and a little confusing and to some people may not make sense. But I am just trying not to give to much of my main story away. If I were to tell you everything, it would make a lot more sense.

But anyway, what can I call this event? As I was making an out line and taking notes, I called it "The Great Coming" just to call it something so I didn't get stuck on this little detail so that I could keep going. But being that it is the main problem my protagonist has to solve in my story, I think it's name is really important and I am just not sold on "The Great Coming.". Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

The Lifting - Because the wiped group of people disappeared as if 'lifted' from existence.

The Taking - Because the wiped group of people was taken away, never to appear again.

Just two names I came up with. Hope one of these helps you!

3. RobT

RobT Active Member

Sounds more like a going than a coming.

The reaping, the plague, the dark time, the reckoning, the silence.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The past event probably has built up superstition and conspiracy theories. Those would probably be the origin of any name for the event. Choose your name on that basis.

5. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

OMG, this sounds awesome! It's like the great international thriller/action/military epic I never read:eek:

word of advice, typically when major events like these happen in modern recorded history concerning nations, politics, and the like, the name of the event is often associated with the name of the place it happened:

1)Bay of Pigs "invasion"
    2)Iran hostage "affair"
    3)Mogadishu...whatever

Vets of the old cold war skirmishes dont call them battles, police actions, or firefights; they just say "Grenada, Panama, Beirut, etc."

Grenada we invaded to replace a lefty leader, Panama to get a drug dealer, Mogadishu a warlord

people think that this thing can never happen to our country, but it happens in other countries ALL the time, and it's usually us doing the invading.

please let me know how this turns out, I'm curious now---let me know if I can help out in any way, I'm a vet so I would like to think I have some realistic details to contribute, nothing like Tom Clancy, but you know:rolleyes:

6. Space_Goose

Space_Goose New Member

Well there isn't much left to be a legend. There is archeological remains of the people that got wiped out. There are a few people who escaped the destruction and their descendants are the source of what little information is available in the current time of the story and all they know is that there was an event that destroyed their people and they have a name for this event that is all the protagonist is able to find out at first but the pieces of the puzzle slowly begin to fall into place as the story progresses. I started with "The Great Coming" because I wanted the name to be mysterious, something that really wouldn't help the reader or protagonist figure out what was going on yet when the puzzle is finally solved, makes sense. The Great Coming referred to the secret invasion and the foreign force "coming" to attach but again, I am not really feeling that name. I am liking some of the ideas given to me so far but still nothing is jumping out at me saying "yeah, that’s it!" Since this is the most important event in my story and what the story is built around, I might name the story after this event as well, if I can find a name for it that I like.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And jonathan hernandez13,

My story takes place in the future. When this even first happened it was in the ancient past, even by our current standards. That is part of the mystery of this story, how can something from that long ago be affecting the future. Still there are some elements of my story that are militarily influenced and even though my story does take place in the future, I might could still use the opinion and guidance of a military man on a few issues and situations. I'll PM you when I get to that part. ;)

7. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Probably you won't feel it that way, because you're the one making it. But when someone reads it he/she will probably think it is fitting, because you're the showing it to your audience. I'm not really sure if I made my point, but I hope you understand me more or less.

If this is not the case, I hope you find a name that rings for you. :D

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And that is why you won't get actual name suggestions from me. No one knows the story as you do, so it is best that you find the name for yourself. If we can halp you with the process, so much the better.

9. Space_Goose

Space_Goose New Member

Understood... But I am really just trying to get some ideas floating around. I probably will not use ANY idea from someone else as is but I am hoping that an idea for a name of this event might spark something inside of me. For instance, I saw the plague above... This might spark me to coming up with something like "The Great Scourge" for instance or even "The Absconding". This is just my way of working, I need ideas to be bounced off of me in order for my mind to work things out. So any thoughts in this regard would be appreciated.

10. mikalrae

mikalrae New Member

I would suggest looking up names that have been applied to little-known events in our ancient history. When archeologists discover a site they usually apply a name of some kind based on the things they do know about it. These names often stick long after actual facts have been discovered that might make them obsolete, they are usually more alluring than what really happened.

11. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

It can't be read, but the Modern Warfare franchise (Call of Duty) is what you just said.