I have received one excellent review,,but is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Agatha Christie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. s33point1

s33point1 New Member

Even if it wasnt a family member it's still only one person. Give it to more people to read, one person only reflects one person.

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I bought a self published book that had been written by a local man, he was signing copies of his book at at a well known book store. For-all I had not much interest in the subject of the book, feeling charitable and wanting to show support for a local author (after all that might be me one day) I bought the book.

At the front of the book there are three pages of glowing reviews. Reviews given by people like; nursery staff, doctor's receptionists, taxi drivers etc. I suspect that the author must have handed copies out to these people and asked them to review it.

I tried to read the book, I really did, but I could not get past the first four pages.

So much for glowing reviews - imo, people tend to tell you what they believe you want to hear.

3. abby75

abby75 Member

I think that praise is just as important as criticism, unless it is false praise of course. If authors only ever got criticism I doubt anyone would ever pursue a career in writing! In answer to your question Agatha I would say that yes, of course your relative's review is important, as long as she is likely to be telling you the truth and not just telling you what you want to hear. The fact that she has read your entire novel is acclaim in itself, if it was rubbish she would've given up long before the end. I the need for constructive criticism but I don't think it should be to the exclusion of praise.

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Criticism is more helpful than praise, usually. Firstly, most people don't care to examine praise closely to see how valid it is ... or isn't. And secondly, praise tends to reflect a reader's personal preferences for plot, setting or other generalities of the story, rather than the nuts and bolts of technique.

5. lost123

lost123 New Member

That's wonderful, that means you are very good. Don't listen to people who try to discourage you.They MIGHT had been rejected many times and now they act like they are publishers with all due respect. No one has read your book.Harry potter book was rejected many times, does that mean harry potter book was bad?No, of course not. The most important person who will read your book is the reader, if he/she enjoys it, then, there you go. However, because it is your first book, publishers will be reluctant to accept your book.

p.s
    harry potter book was rejected 12 times

6. IanLawson

IanLawson New Member

I would say it's valuable. You have at least one person who could finish it. That's something.

It would be more valuable if it was an independent and unbiased critic. Especially someone who's paid for it. But then, if you've written the book you want to write, what does it matter?

Ask yourself this; if your book was to be slated by critics, would it change the way you write? Because it shouldn't.

Reviews are nice, but if you worry too much, you'd probably never get anything done. IMO

Any completed work is better than the most brilliant half-written epic novel, sat gathering virtual dust on a hard drive.

Good luck.

7. JamesOliv

JamesOliv Member

So when the rest of you have family members read your work you only get praise?

Hmm.

That explains a lot about my family dynamic, actually.

My wife gets first crack at a manuscript. I do this because she is the first person who says "this sub-plot doesn't make any sense." After she reviews it and gives me her suggestions, I re-read, edit and then get her suggestions on that.

Then I send it to a trusted friend with a solid background in literature. He reads it. He sends me suggestions. I re-read, edit and get his suggestions on that. Then I make changes and loop it back through my wife. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

After I've made a bunch of changes, I send it off to my editor.

So, does a review from a family member help? It can. It could also be sugar coating.

Then again, if some stranger reads your work and just says "it sucks" that is equally as useless.

8. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Dear Miss/Mrs Agatha,
    We believe that a writer shouldn't withdraw from his task. Many writers at the beginning may feel that what they wrote is nearly perfect, however, afterwards, they may realize, by themselves, that there were many mistakes in their writings.
    So, in my opinion, never withdraw, for, one day, you may write other stories and essays that may be incredibly better than you have ever imagined.

9. Crystal

Crystal New Member

Better than nothing, but I'd suggest going forward & trying to get it to everyone you can...but not too pushy obviously, good luck.

10. kev675

kev675 New Member

I dont think one person especially a family member is the "reading public"(which I am apart of and I haven't read it yet

11. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

Like everyone else, there are a few points that I would argue with my critic - particularly regarding characters. But I would also argue with the critic who tells me my work is perfect. I don't think my work is perfect, and so I'd tell my critic that they are wrong. Red marks are the best bad news you'll ever see. Each one - if your critic is doing it right - says "It's wrong. Improve. Here's how."

I know you've said that your critic did have several criticisms to make, besides the praise. I was just speaking in a broader sense. But in all honesty, the value of praise depends entirely on your own personality. If you're the kind of person who would never accept any praise until your book is published, then so be it. Likewise, if you're the kind of person who feels they need the praise to motivate them (as many do feel) then so be it! There's nothing wrong with either of those perspectives. It's all down to you how you take it.

I also don't believe that praise is completely and utterly useless. Okay, a LOT of it can be useless, if they just say "I like this!" But if they say "I like this BECAUSE..." then it's useful. It's not just "Here's what you've done wrong" that improves your writing - "Here's what you've done right" can work just as well.

Just my thoughts :)

1 person likes this.
  12. The Codex

The Codex Member

(Assuming, since your original post is removed)

I wouldn't count on family members, sure they are reviews but family members tend to be kind. Give a 'locked' copy of your book to co-workers, teachers, strangers even and obviously the publisher.
    ... and such as that, you only got one review. That's like £5 if were published, attend more less-related people and se if their reviews are good, and so it'll give you a basic principle idea of how the publisher will react and how much cash earned if such reviews are possible to be flawless!