1. serowden

serowden Member

I have the first 15k words of my unfinished rough draft in the form of 7 chapters

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by serowden, Oct 3, 2012.

They're completed still in rough draft format, as I figure novels rarely leave some phase of that stage until somewhere near the very, very end, but it's a rough draft I'm rather proud of. I can't wait to add the other 15k words I need to do some edited, deleting, adding to, etc before I can present.

Problem is... I'm planning to publish myself electronically if nothing else, and I'd kind of like to get some acknowledgement for the sheer accomplishment this finished project will entail.

And while I'd have no problem sharing it personally with someone I knew well enough, whose opinion I value, I'm a bit... uh... wary to post it on a public forum.

Ah well. What do you guys do? Just not worry about such things?

2. ranjit23das

ranjit23das Member

Hi there

read the threads in the 'publishing' tab. There has been a lot of discussion about the implications of putting your work up on a public site like this. My understanding from the threads is that it is then in the public domain so you may struggle to get a publisher to take your work since it has already been 'published'.

You state that you want to self publish so I guess sharing extracts of your work with the community would be ok. Did you want the community members to critique your work? If so, why not take some of your work and post in the appropriate workshop page? You could even post a chapter in the correct section in the site? Not sure putting up all seven chapters in one hit is wise - or even allowed on this site.

3. Steph4136

Steph4136 Senior Member

Before you do that, re-read the site rules, as you need to give at least 2 reviews yourself before posting any of your work here. As far as posting work online, I wouldn't post all of it anywhere, but an excerpt here and there won't hurt.