Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

Tracing regional ancestry through genetic analysis

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brandon P., Dec 27, 2011.

As a Biological Anthropology major, I am fascinated by human evolution and the biological relationships between different human populations. A number of companies have popped up offering to trace people's ancestry to particular regions of the world. One I've recently heard about is called DNATribes:

They don't limit their services to paying clients though; in fact they have recently published an article on Egyptian mummies (including King Tut):

Has anyone here ever consulted services like DNATribes to trace their ancestry? I remember my family doing so once, but they haven't let me in on the results yet.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I did this for my older son, whom we had adopted as a baby. There are several different companies that offer this. This was a couple years ago when they had a special on DNA day -- it was like $100 instead of $300 or something. It gave us some interesting results, and gives us updates on genes that are associated with particular health conditions.

Everyone originally was from Africa, anyway. Then there are, I think 26 hapolo groups (?) -- I don't remember the spelling, name or number. My son's were both from groups that settled in Siberia for a long time after Africa.

It's interesting, but really of marginal practical utility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.