1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

I identify with my character better after making him autistic

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mashers, Jul 4, 2016.

This morning I realised that one of my characters would work well as an autistic adult. I've spent some time rewriting some dialogue, and adding in some description of how he is interpreting, processing and understanding (from his own POV). I've become so much more involved in his story arc since making these changes and have a lot more empathy for him. While this is obviously a good thing, it does lead me to a few concerns.
    1. Am I only identifying with him so strongly because we share a common trait (I have aspergers) and will the reader feel the same if they are neurotypical? I realise this isn't exactly answerable, so to put it another way, how can I make sure a non-autistic reader can empathise with an autistic character who may seem odd or unusual in the way they perceive things?
    2. How do I avoid falling into the trap of your novel really being about you? I don't want this to happen, but the more I empathise with the character the more I invest in him personally.
    3. This has made me realise that I feel distant from my other characters. I realise this is probably for a different reason, but do other writers ever feel this way? I care less about my non-autistic characters and I'm worried that this lack of empathy comes from a lack of identification with them, and that this might even be because I don't actually understand my own characters

Reading back through this message I realise these are probably not questions others can answer. But I've typed it now so I may as well hit submit, and if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it :)

Simpson17866 and jannert like this.
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

I just write my characters and see how they turn out. To me they are just people and yes, technically they may have a-typical tendencies, they are just people who act a certain way. Though I look up how someone may act with a certain condition it will never say so and so has condition x. I may make my main character on the autism spectrum by accident too, I don't know but unless it is needed for the story I wouldn't state it. I just write people who are just how they are. But at the end of the day its up to you really. Good luck!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. mashers

Oh I haven't stated it. I don't want the reader to make assumptions about him due to a label I provide for them. I'm making him appear that way by his thoughts and actions, and it will be important to his arc later on as he will have to overcome some anxieties related to his autism.

4. I.A. By the Barn

I hate assumptions. They are the bane of my life. Sounds good!

5. mashers

Thanks - I hope so :) I might post a few paragraphs for feedback if that's ok?

6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I like to connect to my characters by associating them with someone I actually know or a celebrity who I'm interested in.

7. mashers

That's a good idea - build a connection with a fictitious character by linking them to a real person. I don't think I know anyone well enough to do that, and most celebrities are annoying, but I'll try it. Thanks :)

8. apollonaris

apollonaris New Member

I think a nice way to allow readers to empathize with your character is to offer some level of explanation behind their actions. You don't gotta spend a paragraph explaining every habit or quirk, but just a simple "she checks the mailbox five times every day; every time she walks past the door, it's an involuntary muscle reaction" or something like that. A small habit that readers can identify with. Regardless of whether or not your reader is autistic, they'll empathize with a character who does things for similar reasons that make sense to them.

izzybot likes this.
  9. mashers

That's a great idea, thanks! I had already alluded to some of that but I'll consider expanding on it. Here's a paragraph I've just added. What do you think? Edit - DYAC!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Iain Aschendale and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. I.A. By the Barn

I like it!

11. mashers

Thanks! I realise one short paragraph is insufficient, but I'm hoping the reader will also like him. I am aiming to make his autistic traits a mixed blessing (as they often are) with some representing special skills and others obstacles to overcome.

12. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Hahah, I already like him because I totally have the same leaving-the-house mantra.

13. mashers

Thank you! I'm glad you're were able to identify with him! Perhaps autism is less obtuse when it's written down...

14. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I totally do that. Wallet, phone keys is a very sensible routine for leaving the house.

15. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

1. Readers and other audiences constantly have to sympathize and empathize with characters who are different to them. And autism spectrum has already appeared in many works. You're good.
    2. The best way to make sure he's not the same is simply look at the differences. Think of the most central and impactful traits and compare them. They're especially important. But even if the character is quite similar, that's not bad. As long as it's clearly not you, it doesn't really matter.
    3. There's absolutely nothing wrong with identifying more or less with a character based on similarities, it's pretty much how identifying works. And empathy is naturally connected to that understanding.

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I like that brief sample paragraph because of how it does what it does. To do a quick check of one's necessities is something most of us do, but then it shows that this is something the MC had to practice. Then it lets us know that there's been some major event in his life, such that those items are no longer necessary for survival, and finally it reveals that he suffers from some sort of mental difficulty*. I don't know that I'd recognize it as autism right off, but you've accomplished a lot of character development in that little bit of writing. I'd certainly be interested in reading more.

*I don't know if this is the current accepted terminology, but I mean no offense by it if it isn't.

17. mashers

Thank you for this feedback. I can't explain how encouraging it was to read what you wrote. Character development is something I don't feel comes naturally to me but I do think in getting better at it, and your comments really helped. Thank you! As for not immediately recognising that he is autistic from this extract, that's probably because there are many other explanations for that type of behaviour. I hope that as the reader learns more about the character it will become apparent in a subtle way.

Don't worry I wasn't offended, but I appreciate that you have said this. I'm not really sure what the exact term would be, but 'difficulty' is definitely acceptable. Generally, at least here in the UK, we avoid the word 'mental', though it does occur in legislation (e.g. the Mental Capacity Act). 'Cognitive' would probably be the best substitute.

18. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think this is a fantastic idea. Many people write from a perspective of a character they can identify with as themselves or part of themselves.

Have you got any plans to let the readers know fairly early on that this character is on the autistic spectrum? Or do you want the readers to discover it as they read?

19. mashers

Thank you jannert. I had assumed that this would be frowned upon, but it's good to know that it can be a positive thing to do.

I won't be stating explicitly that he is autistic. But I will be talking about a condition he has, and will give clues as to what it is through the way he understands things and interacts with other characters. For example, I've written a few paragraphs where he is trying to understand a situation and conceptualises it as a computer programme so he can understand the situation. I've then digressed to a flashback about how this was responded to when he was a child, how he had misunderstood what adults were talking about when they talked about his 'condition', and how he later learned to love this aspect of himself and use it to his advantage. I hope it's not too direct though.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  20. jannert

That sounds perfect. It's a situation that interests me, actually. I think many autistic people have SO much to offer the world. They conceptualise things differently from the rest of us, and while this might be awkward in social situations, where so much that goes on is unwritten and intuitive, they can also see things we can't, and can do things we can't. I think we're letting ourselves down as a race if we don't attempt to understand autism and value it for what it is and what it can do. It is a gift, actually. The only problem seems to be that some people don't understand the gift.

I believe a story like yours will go some way to getting folks interested, and helping us to understand how things work for an autistic person.

21. mashers

@jannert
    Thank you, that's wonderful feedback. I also completely agree with your view of autism (not least because me and my nephew are both autistic ourselves!) I've actually just worked out the ending for my book and it's because this character thinks and behaves differently to others that he is able to succeed where others could not. I'm really tempted to post a chapter in the workshop for critique but I'm worried about copyright and things like that should I ever be in a position to try and publish.

jannert likes this.
  22. jannert

Apparently posting a chapter for critique is okay. Posting the whole thing would be a mistake, though.

23. mashers

Ok thank you, I'll consider posting something shortly :)

24. apollonaris

apollonaris New Member

I love that excerpt, it definitely allows for the reader to relate to the character more after offering some explanation. Again, some people have weird habits that they developed a long time ago and hold onto even though they're no longer relevant, and I think that paragraph shows that perfectly. Great job!