1. MatthewOliverGrey

MatthewOliverGrey New Member

Getting to a fantasy world.

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by MatthewOliverGrey, Dec 1, 2015.

A wardrobe takes you to Narnia, A Rabbit hole takes you to Wonderland and following the second star and flying on till morning gets you to Neverland.

I was just wondering if any of you had come up with interesting ways for characters to travel to their fantasy world?

2. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

Cryogenic sleep.

The character could arrive in a foreign future with technology so advanced that it could be indistinguishable from magic.

3. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

I find opening a book is the easiest way to slip into my fantasy world . . . Oh, wait . . . Never mind. :)

tonguetied likes this.
  4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I once had this idea of getting into an alternate world by jumping into puddles after the rain :)

I once read a manga where the way by which to enter the fantasy world was to go to sleep.

Mordred85 likes this.
  5. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

Fall into a deep dark chasm. Look in a mirror at a certain time after midnight. Stumble drunk into a dark neighborhood at an even later time. Pay for admission to a house of urban legend.
    Those were just personally what I had come up with. Either way, in all I had come up with, there is no memory of how you had gone there to begin with.

6. oTTo

oTTo Member

"Jump off the cliff." Said as if it was as simple as stepping through a doorway.

7. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

In my story, the people who are sensitive to magic experience what they think are hallucinations, but which are actually glimpses of the magical world. I'm also using portals that are natural, like mushroom rings, twisted trees, etc. and man-made gateways, like mirrors and--my favorite--a gate with a rotating glass lens that leads to one world when facing one way and the other when facing the opposite way. It's been fun so far. :)

8. WriterMMS

WriterMMS Member

Ill make one up right now. Entering the mouth of a dragon.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

In the Urban Fantasy world that I just came up with my first story for, I'm thinking that all magical realms are artificial constructs created by powerful mages originally from the "mortal" world - some the size of houses, some the size of small countries, most the size of cities - each with it's own way or ways of getting in and out: objects, incantations, locations ... any combination thereof

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

That's the method used in the Forbidden Library :)

11. RodarioOfCourse

RodarioOfCourse New Member

Live a long life in one world only to be born and live again in a new one unaware of the previous with nothing but deja vu to hint at its existance until one day...