1. northernadams

northernadams Member

I made the OCLC WorldCat catalog!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by northernadams, Apr 17, 2013.

I hope I'm not committing a breach of etiquette here--some writers' boards have a horn-blowing section where users can post when they have good news, and I couldn't find that here. I can't help myself--I'm Snoopy-dancing all over my apartment.

My book's in the library!!!

They don't have my book's cover image on the listing yet, but I am so happy right now, I'm shaking!!

If you want to read my book for free (let's face it--everyone in here has a book...who can afford to buy them all?) all you have to do is go to your local library's website and click on the link to request they buy a copy. It takes a while, but free is free.

I am too excited for words!!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what do you mean by 'in the library'?... did you donate a copy to your local library, or what?

if 'what' then what was the process you went through to achieve this goal?

3. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I'm assuming she means its in the library for anyone to borrow, that a publisher published it and sent it out to local libraries, like J K Rowling's first book, JK only had 16 copies released into the UK libraries but it was a start.

Congratulations Northernadams I wish you all the best. You must be feeling so euphoriac at the moment.

4. northernadams

northernadams Member

Nearly all local libraries now have a website and online-searchable catalog, and they'll have a link where you can request they purchase/acquire a particular title. If anyone requests your book, the library would order it. If you're not already in the WorldCat listing, the library submits your title--at which time it's in that directory and any library in the US and Canada can order it. My local library ordered three copies. I'm feeling fabulous!

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

That's great news! Congratulations! I assume based on the description that this is a children's or YA book. Is that right?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as well you should!

congratulations... are you doing readings and book-signings at the libarary and local bookshops?...

7. northernadams

northernadams Member

It's middle grade. : )

8. northernadams

northernadams Member

Actually, no. I'm swamped with work right now. I did inquire about it last year, just before I published it. Never followed up on it though--I'm just buried.