1. du59

du59 New Member

I need a Venice...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by du59, Mar 25, 2014.

I have this idea I've been tinkering with for the past few days that I'm trying to flesh out in order to see if it's worth putting time into. Now there is this one setting I just can't seem to find an appropriate name for this city. Think Middle Ages/Pre-Renaissance, a city-state located in the perfect spot for it to be a maritime/mercantile power. I'm thinking Venice, but not actually Venice. And also, I need a title for the city's leader, as in I need the title of Doge, without it being Doge? The only thing I can think of is Supriemo, and I wanted to save that for a subservient position to the Doge. Unless anyone thinks I should just go with Doge? Any input will be much appreciated.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'Supriemo' doesn't work for me... it's not a word in any language i know... certainly not italian, which i'm somewhat familiar with, having traveled throughout italy on many trips and lived there for a good while...

if you're not going to use venice itself, then i don't see why you'd use the term 'doge' since that is typically venetian or genovese...

so, if you develop an entirely fictional city not connected in any way with venice or genoa, i'd strongly suggest you come up with new terms for the rulers, as well....

jannert likes this.
  3. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

How about doing an "alternate universe" Venice? Then you have all to locations and titles in place already.

If the entire setting is fantasy, then as mammamaia suggested, just come up with a whole set of new and fictional names.

4. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

During the 10th and 11th centuries Venice was part of the maritime republics, a group of city states, the best known being the republics of Venice, Genoa, Ragusa, Amalfi and Pisa.

All of these cities would compete for both military and economic supremacy, mostly for what concerned sea trading routes.
    You can easily create a fictional version of one of these Republics.

The word Doge comes from the ancient Venetian word Doxe, from the Latin Dux, meaning commander, or leader (Benito Mussolini would call himself Duce, an Italian version of the same word).

The Supreimo does not exist in Italian, probably you were looking for supremo, meaning supreme.

Other Italian words you might find useful are:

Capo - captain (or even boss).
    Comandante - commander.
    Maestro/Mastro - master, the second version is not used in modern speech.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  5. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

So it's Venice but not Venice?

6. Glen Snow

Glen Snow New Member

The Turbo Gran Puba Ultimo Maximi just exudes authority doesn't it? :)

For real now, I agree with the posts above. If it's based on the real Venice then just use Italian titles, if it's completely fictional make up your own.
    As for the city, if it's a complete replica of Venice with canals, gondolas and the such I would steer clear of naming it something close to Venice.

7. du59

du59 New Member

I understand all of what you're saying. The title I can make up easy enough.
    I would like a bud for a name of my fictional republic/city. Naming a city that is supposed to exemplify money and power means I need a name that almost leeks power itself.

And I know Supreimo isn't an actual Italian term, it was my first attempt at branching off.

I spent the day kicking some ideas for the republics names around and would like some yeah/nays if possible.

Taiveen. Doltos. Arvain.

And one title for the leader I cam up with was Rondante.

Thank you all for this insightful information!

8. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

I don't thing I understand if this fictional town is in Italy or in another fictional place in a fictional universe.

If it's not, just use any name you like.
    If it is, use Italian names.

9. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

How about Asiattica for the city/state? That would place it somewhere on the Asiatic Sea.

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@du59 I like Doltos and Rondante. They're easy on the eye and don't sound makey-uppy.

Rondante actually sounds quite formal and would be a good title for a fantasy ruler.

Doltos as a place is also do-able, although you'll need to think up what to call people who live there? I'd avoid 'Dolts' if I were you. :) Perhaps Doltosians?

If you use Venice as your inspiration—a canal city with gorgeous old buildings (perhaps smelly on close inspection?)—and just let your imagination fly, you won't run into any bother with people who 'know' Venice and say, "Oh, it's not like that at all."

Catrin Lewis likes this.