1. dorket21

dorket21 New Member

I NEED HELP!!! Cant Get The Bad Thoughts Out...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dorket21, Jan 14, 2011.

:confused:..ok so I love to write but am having the hardest time getting started..not that I don't hav ideas because I do..I just cant get past these sick thoughts I have in my head saying I cant write then when I actually start its like its not good enough like it has to be perfect at the first go..any ideas on how to help get over it?

2. Kevin B

Kevin B Member

Just write. Sit down and just write whatever comes out, whether it's good or bad. As you go on, you'll find that it gets easier. Keep writing as long as you feel you have something to say, then go back and read through it. One of two things will happen. You'll either like what you've written, and can take off from there; or you'll find that it's all jibberish, and not worth fooling with. Whichever you find won't matter. What you'll have is something that got you writing, and I'd almost bet that when you read through it, you'll find yet another idea to write about. And you just may have something in that writing that will lead you to a good starting place.

This helps me at those times when I feel that I'm stuck. Give it a try. It just may work for you too. ;)

3. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle Senior Member

We all have those feelings. Usually those feelings show up before we write or during the editing process. For me, those thoughts show up during the editing process. You are not alone.

However, if the voices/thoughts become a true hindrance, seek medical attention :)

4. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

It sounds like the biggest hurtle you have is self-doubt. Every writer feels, at some stage, that they're not a good writer or what they've written is imperfect, but those feelings are never going to go away unless you start writing. Once you have something to work with you'll improve it and become more confident. You would not believe how many times I've redone my prologue or cut paragraphs or redone locations. It's all part of the writing process. Practise makes perfect, I know it's a lame old saying but it's old for a reason.
    Good luck! :) :)

5. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Steven King was just sure that the book he was working on was junk. Just flat out garbage, so he tossed it in the trash. Gave up on it. Until his wife pulled it out and read a few pages. She convinced him to go ahead and finish it. The book was Carrie.

6. Fiona

Fiona Member

Don't be put off writing because of these thoughts. Carry on despite the self-doubt. Most of us experience this when we write at times.

When you sit down to write, even if those negative thoughts come, just ignore them - don't let them stop you. Write whatever it is you want to write - whether you think it's good or bad - and then at the end, you can always work on improving what you don't like. That's the wonderful, magic thing about writing: what you have written on your page can be transformed until you're happy with it... Through editing, re-writes.

So don't allow yourself to be blocked from enjoying writing. No matter how bad you think it is, you have all the time you need to work on it until you're happy with it.

I can't even count the amount of times I've written something in a story, only to end up unhappy with it - then I always go back and change whatever is bothering me.

The best thing is to just try. Keep answering those negative thoughts with positive ones. It's better to try to do what you want than to give up and always wonder what could have been :)

Good luck!

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Try and sit down with the thought this is fun - find a character you love that you enjoy spending time with.

Also don't read it back straight away like Lot's wife you will turn into a pillar of salt :) Give it some time then you can be more objective.

8. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

This is just a crazy idea I just came up with, but how about writing about an author who can't get anything down on paper because he thinks it isn't good enough?

9. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Above is a great advice, used by many. I heard that Hollywood is flooded with manuscripts about screenwriters who struggle to get a story through in Hollywood.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Norma Desmond and Joe Gillis are coming to mind lol (Sunset Boulevard)

11. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

If you love to write . . . write! There's no magic to make you suddenly more productive. If what you put down isn't perfect then keep working on it until you do like it. Writing is a craft as much as an art, and like any craft it takes practice. The more practice the better you get.

There are a few writers who write clean copy and can be satisfied with the first version of their work. But they are rare. Everyone else has to rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. Doing this is work. Doing it consistantly and well is damned hard work. You will be doing the work of a goddess -- creating life, creating worlds, deciding which characters will live, and which will die. Should that be an easy task? :)

12. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Just write. You wouldn't expect to make a perfect basket every time during basketball practice, and you shouldn't expect to like every sentence or paragraph when you start writing (or when you come back to it after some time away).

At first, in fact, you might very well find yourself writing dreck. It happens to the best of us. But a lot of writers say that you need to write a million words of crap to get to the gold, and that's because writing is a skill like any other. It takes time. It goes slow. Things get messed up, or we find ourselves with a dull plot, bad spelling, flat and unrealistic characters, or whatever. We just have to keep going.

If you stop yourself every time your writing isn't perfect, you won't get anywhere. None of us would.

So keep writing, and good luck.