Tags:
  1. Brianatlarge

Brianatlarge New Member

I need help finding the right word.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Brianatlarge, Jun 4, 2008.

Hi, I'm extremely new here and just need a simple answer from some experts at the English language like yourselves, because the English language has failed me.

Basically I need a word that has a more "hands-on" connotation than "consulting".

For example, what we want to say is, "We are an online media consulting firm that helps businesses create their online presence."

The only problem is, even though we do give people incite into how to market their brand on the Internet, we also create content for them to do so, such as web design, video and print media.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first, it's 'insight'... to 'incite' is to stir people up to do something... i'd hate to have you shoot yourself in the foot by using the wrong one in your site copy...

as for your question, that you're a 'consulting firm' is really a given, so i'd say drop that whole part... and instead, why not something like, 'we offer a range of media services, focusing on the creation of an online presence to maximize your brand's impact on the market'... or something similar... then list the other stuff in a menu of available services...

hope this helps... love and hugs, maia

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One buzz term that comes to mind is "solutions provider".

I certainly hope you can avoid embarrassing usage errors, such as confusing "incite" with "insight", in the content you deliver to customers, though.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

You claim to be an "online media consulting firm". Forgive my assumption, but most businesses operate for profit and the owners understand that earning their customers' initial trust depends on quality presentation. Judging from your brief introduction above, I would suggest you hire a professional copywriter to help you develop both your own advertising, and that of your customers.

.....NaCl
    Business owner for 30+ years.

5. mammamaia

sorry, but as a former well-paid professional i have to agree with nacl... a writing consultant of any kind should not have to say that... or even be able to!... they are [i was] paid by those who don't have a good command of english, because we do... or, are supposed to... be sure you're not biting off more than you can chew, in asking clients to pay for work that may not be up to professional standards...

6. Burman

Burman New Member

Use the first word that comes to mind, always. Otherwise the reader will be able to tell right away that you were trying too hard.

7. mammamaia

i don't know how readers will be able to tell how quickly words were chosen, so that doesn't sound like good advice to me... and a good writer will often change a word, if a better one is thought of later, when proofing/editing the work...

8. Cogito

If this were true, freewriting would be the ideal way to write, and there would be no need for revision except to correct spelling and punctuation and the like.

I submit that following this advice will immediately tell the reader that you weren't trying very hard at all.

9. Burman

Burman New Member

No, I'm just saying that using a thesaurus is generally a bad way to improve your writing. Also, seeking a word that is foreign to your vocabulary skews the value of the word. So, rather use words you know than seeking new words out. Learn them, don't just find them and use them, most likely in the wrong context.

10. Cogito

I use a thesaurus to remind me of the alternative word choices. I don't use it to select an unfamiliar word, for the reason you stated.

That's a far cry from "choose the first word that comes to mind." Very often, the first word that comes to mind is a poorer fit that the one you can dig up if you think it through for a minute or two.

Choosing the best word of phrase for a given situation is at the heart of writing.

But perhaps the confusion arose because you posted the first phrasing that came to mind. :)

11. Burman

Burman New Member

Do you ever mediate or take advice to mind, or are you always this conceiting? :)

12. Cogito

Your last comment is a bit garbled. Fortunately? :) :)

13. penhobby

penhobby New Member

The different opinions on this issue are interesting to me. Someone on this forum advised me to throw out my thesaurus. I decided to take his advice, to a certain degree. No, I didn’t throw out my thesaurus, but I did go back and get rid of a lot of useless words. He was right, the story did read better. I guess to each his own. :)

14. Cogito

The best word is very often the simplest, most direct one. I would even say that is usually the case. However, the small percentage of times that it is not the best choice, that is when a thesaurus can be helpful.

Ideally, you find another simple, direct, familiar word that is right on target.

15. Burman

Burman New Member

That's what I was saying.

16. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I think the discussion about how to choose the "right word" has drifted away from a more important issue. The OP states that he is looking for the "right word" and he gives the example of how he plans to use it. It's quite obvious that it is for a commercial advertisement for his website. He is also obviously not a skilled writer and he needs to understand that businesses INVEST good money in copywriters for a reason.

I will not personally help any business bypass those copywriters (fellow writers, trying to make a living) who should be paid for their competency, any more than I would help a college student complete an essay for a class.

I've been a business owner for over thirty years and I have paid thousands of dollars for professional advertising advice and products. In turn, I make a profit when their efforts bring my company new customers. This OP is looking for free advice in a profit driven business. Let him pay the professionals.

This just my personal opinion, for what it's worth.

.....NaCl

17. mammamaia

interesting point!... and a valid one, business-wise... m