1. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I need help with my Blase!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by writewizard, Dec 24, 2009.

Okay, I have a problem. I'm writing a novel that involves two very tough subjects, suicide and bipolar, both of which I've researched more thoroughly than I ever want to admit. I was kind of hoping to have a character as comic relief, but this guy is seeming to build himself as more of a strong, I'll always be your friend character than something else.

Here he is:

Name: Blase (has an accented? e on the end, but can't post that here)

Driver's license: Check

Character type:

This is what I'm having problems with. I NEED a character in my book who's a since of comic relief every now and then. What I'm asking is, can Blase be both a strong character AND a since of comic relief at the same time, or should I build in a new character for the latter?

Also, is Blase a good name, or is it too unrelaistic, and should I change it?

2. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I don't know about the rest, but Blase isn't an unrealistic name, I know someone called Blase. It'snot a popular name, but it is used occasionally

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

My only concern with that name is that when I look at it, my initial wish is to pronounce it as (blah-zay)

as in:

Source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

4. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Great! Thanks for the reassurance!

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe if I have someone sound out his name in the first chapter... Thanks!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

with the accent aigu, it would be ridiculous for a name, to anyone who knows the french word... why would you want to do that?...

6. deltaquid

deltaquid New Member

Yeah, Blasé sounds extremely odd IMO.

7. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Avoid confusion. Find a better name.

8. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Yeah, I think I will.

Any comments on his character development?

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes. Character development is usually a good idea. :)

Seriously, it is too broad a question to give a reasonable answer.

10. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Oops

Okay, sorry. I guess I should have narrowed down my question. I love the smiley face :D

I'm trying to create a character who is witty, strong, funny, and always loyal - almost like Chet in the Hardy Boys, for an example. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for all who have answered so far.

Writewizard

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

with his words and actions, what else?... sorry to sound flip, but i can't get what it is you want us to tell you and that is the only way you can do it, y'know...

if you're looking for some sort of formula, there isn't any... if you've read enough decent writing, you should know how other writers do it and should be able to manage to pull it off yourself...

12. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Thanks. And don't worry, you don't sound... "Flip."

13. freelancer903

freelancer903 New Member

Actually, "Blase" is a rather comic name in itself, since a bipolar person would be anything but blase (blah-zay).

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't personally care much for names with obvious double meaning. "Hit me over the head again, please, I'm too dense to figure out his character by myself."

15. writewizard

writewizard New Member

The main character's name is Alex, one of the secondary character's name is Blase, except I think I'm going to change it. :)

Loved your response, and thanks for the response, Cog.

16. Carpenter_writer

Carpenter_writer New Member

As for the character development - get to know your character before writing him. I don't mean some silly chart, or list of appearances and personality qualities, but really get to know him. Get to know instinctively what he would do in any given situation. It sounds an awful lot like you really don't know him. From your brief description - yes, a character can be both comic relief and strong. Most comics I know have very strong personalities. I have a good friend who has a very strong loyal personality, but is quite funny and makes fun at your expense quite often. The only thing keeping you from punching him is knowing that really he cares and he's just being funny. Get to know your character to that level where the intricacies of his personalities bring the opposing qualities into one complex whole. Once you get to know him he'll flow onto the page.

BTW - I don't really care for Blas'e as a name for the aforementioned definition of the word.

17. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

You can be strong and funny. Just make him a witty guy who makes fun of life's little difficulties.

18. bruce

bruce Active Member

Perhaps change it to Blaise.

19. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Now there's a good name, one that really wouldn't require much changing... ;)
    Thanks!

20. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

"I'm trying to create a character who is witty, strong, funny, and always loyal."

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd suggest doing this by making him, and I'm quoting here, "witty, strong, funny, and always loyal."

Characters don't get made from lists of traits and flaws; they get made from actions and crises and the general havoc of their (hopefully) interesting lives. I can easily say that Saruman from Lord Of The Rings was meant to be witty and clever and a jokester- hell, I can write a character sheet that says that Saruman is witty and clever and a jokester. But the fact is, he isn't. He's a dour, serious old fart with a really bad case of the evils, and nowhere does Tolkien tell us that. He shows us, through dialogue and action. He's not "evil"; he burns down a forest and uses the land underneath as a breeding ground for a vast army of unusually powerful Orcs. He's not "dour"; he simply treats everyone with the same grudging civility that we associate with dour characters.
    Talk less about words used to describe the character and more how they interact with their world and the people around them.

That a character is evil becomes apparent after he does something evil. That a character is witty becomes apparent after he does something witty. We don't need to be told if you can prove it to us.

Sorry if this ended up a bit mean-spirited; I mostly write these for my own benefit. I wasn't taking any swipes at you personally.

21. Yoish

Yoish New Member

If your question is if it is realistic to have a character that's both strong/good friend AND witty, I think it is. One of my favorite people in the world is like that. You will just have to work hard to develop the character accurately, to make sure he doesn't turn into the kinda guy that will laugh at a friend's problem, because that would be a horrible contridiction to his strong/good friend side.

22. Tessadragon

Tessadragon New Member

Another way could be to look at why they're a comic, like if they feel that it's up to them to make people have a good time it can become their be-all and end-all, not always a good thing.
    But sure, i agree with them, a person/character can be strong yet comical.
    I also agree with the name 'Blaise' rather than Blase.

23. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Thanks for everyone's help. I finished the book. Think I'm going to switch to Blaise. Loved your responces!!