Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJ

BigJ New Member

I need help writing this research paper for my english course.

Discussion in 'Research' started by BigJ, Apr 29, 2009.

Well it's a research paper on the theme of marriage, jealously, love and/or hate, whichever I choose. I'm supposed to use one scholarly source and then 2 primary sources with 2-3 quotes which are easy(the quotes). I chose Othello as my scholary source so far(en-102 in college) but this is where I'm having trouble, what are my two primary sources supposed to be about and where can I find some mainly? Are they supposed to be agreeing with my thesis or critcizing Othello and having to do something that or my thesis? This is basically my assignment:

You will write a 4-5 page essay. It must be submitted in MLA format.

The topic is marriage, love, parenthood, jealousy or any other theme you can relate to what we have discussed in class. You will need to come up with your own thesis. You may use evidence from one or two readings we have covered in class, or you may choose to use literature from outside class. You should have two to three direct quotations cited from the text. You must have a scholarly criticism cited.

To repeat, everyone will have one or two primary sources (novel, short story(ies). Everyone will have one scholarly source.

EXAMPLE:
    Review your class notes to come up with the thesis. Ask yourself questions about the author's intent. For example, What does Iago's attitude toward Emilia say about marriage? The answer will be your thesis: Marriages in which the partners have little or no respect for each other are bound to fail. Then you would have to explain your criteria for a healthy marriage. Show how the characters fall short of the criteria by citing incidents of disrespect. Explain how this failure leads to the failure of the marriage.

That's the hardest thing I'm struggling with, where can I find some primary sources criticizing Othello? ugh it's annoying me. If you have a link to a different scholarly source I can read online and links to some primary sources about that that'd be great too, thanks a lot. Essays are easy to write though, it's just this damn research that's got me so frustrated.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, but that is the main point of a research paper assignment, that you do the research. We do require that you do your own schoolwork. We will help in limited ways with writing questions, but you must do your own research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.