1. liusaidh

liusaidh New Member

Vampires: Over done?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by liusaidh, Apr 15, 2015.

I've been fasinated by Vampire fiction and non-fiction since I was about 12 years old. I'm always looking for decent Vampire stories, and sometimes it becomes hard. It becomes samey and cliche with a gorgeous male Vampire meeting a plain or 'average' woman who he falls in love with.

I want to write Vampire fiction without cliche and convention, but I also don't want my audience to feel that I'm being different just to be different.

I recently read the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. While it was cliche and full of Mary Sue's and Gary Stu's, it was worth the read and I actually enjoyed it.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Just make your vamps uniquely yours, and you should be fine. We're just sick of the Twilight-esque vampires.

Wyr and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

I think you're right, the 'beautiful vampire man meets beautiful human girl' thing has been done, and then done again. That being said, I don't really care about that if there are enough differences to make it really good and interesting. I also like the idea of switching the roles. What if the strong one was the girl? What if, unlike most female vampires (that I've read of, or seen), she was a KIND, less blood thirsty girl. Obviously, characters need flaws, but I'm thinking more along the lines of the character of Rebekah in The Vampire Diaries (which is in the show rather than in the books).

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

To be honest, I'm sick of sexualized vampires. Twilight isn't even to blame, though it often is because people don't like it. Sexualized vampires seems to have came to prominence with Anne Rice, before that there was just one novella by Lord Byron's mate and the hot female vampires in Dracula where Vampires were not seen as ultimately repulsive monsters.

Give me Nosferatu!

5. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I think vampires are interesting if done right.

For example, the House of Night young adult series by the Casts. They have a lot of typical cliches, but they also have explanations for it. Vampires are Marked, which turns them into fledglings. The fledglings have to be near other vampires until their change is complete or the change won't take and they'll drown in their own blood. So they go to a vampire "finishing school" where they learn vampire history and whatnot. Vampires are also described as being way more talented than humans, and they sexualize the blood drinking. But it's still interesting. Vampires can become bound to humans if they drink their blood, which makes the human completely obsessed with said vampire.

Anyway. It's pretty hard to read sometimes because it's very teen, but you could probably look up the general points. I like the way the authors played with vampire stereotypes and gave a reason to them. It was different and refreshing.

6. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Vampires: Over done?

Most of them end up that way if they go out in sunlight. :dead:

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

*sniff* A little heavy on the garlic, eh?

Commandante Lemming likes this.
  8. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Overdone? Yes. But do it anyway. Seriously.

If you have a good vampire story - write it. Find a different angle. Do what you want. Make it yours. Heck, I got into a brainstorming discussion with another vampire writer on this forum about putting vampires in historical fiction and writing in the middle ages - I threw out the idea of eploring how Dracula's ancestors arrived in Transylvania and explaining how they got there and where they came from...I hate vampire premises, think they're overdone, but I'd read that. If you want you can take that free of charge because I'm never writing it.

Either way - if you want vampires write vampires. Just make sure they're interesting vampires.

Simpson17866 and Link the Writer like this.
  9. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

The last entertaining vampire story I watched was Let the Right One In. Otherwise, tired of the same ole vampire drama.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  10. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Well the beautiful man meeting the pretty girl(Vampy or not) is of course over done. Why? Because it is a good story. People want love and as such they want a love story. To write good vampire fiction as with any good writing requires time effort and good character development. I don't care if you have the coolest idea EVER! if your characters suck(anything beside blood) then I personally just don't care. High tension is impossible without effort. Its the effort to focus on.

It is true a lot of conventional stories skip this effort instead relaying on the cliche to carry there work. They suck(not blood).

So as for new concepts? Go for it! but don't think it can allow you to skip out on effort and good development. Vampires don't matter when it comes to over done. Cookie cutter stereotypes! That is what is over done(Like a vampy in the sun)

Okay one more vampy pun is going to be like a steak to my heart!!!!!
    lol

11. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

You're forgetting Carmilla. Teenage lesbian vampires for the win!

TheWingedFox and Lemex like this.
  12. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Nosferatu has got to be my favorite vampire flick of all time... the silent version of course.

13. liusaidh

liusaidh New Member

Dracula and Nosfertu are obviously the godfathers of Vampire fiction. I read a few books in The Vampire Chronicles, but alays found them too flowery and boring. Vampire Academy stuff isn't so bad -- for teenagers, of course. I can deal with YA fiction sometimes as long as the plot is engaging enough.

Favourite Vampire things:

Near Dark
    Being Human (UK)
    Vampire: The Masquerade (game)
    Underworld (sort of....it's fun now and then)
    Blade
    Dracula

So perhaps classic, with a noir or neo-gothic twist.
    Whatever the genres are called.

14. Lemex

Godfather? No way! Lord Byron, would be the Godfather - Dracula, Carmilla, la belle dame sans merci now that I think about it, and Coleridge's Christabel, and Nosfertu are more like the fathers and mothers of modern vampire fiction.

15. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I believe a great man once said "Stories about any one thing are 'over done.' Good stories about all of those things are under done"

... but I don't remember who :(

GingerCoffee and Wreybies like this.
  16. liusaidh

liusaidh New Member

I had forgotten about his Lordship, but I do like some Carmilla. I'm sure there's a webseries based on it, which I must get to watching soon.

Basically, I want a lot of gore and Vampire violence. Maybe a bit of romance. Spiritualism. The occult. Living in darkness. No going out in the day.

17. Commandante Lemming

Well you sound like you're already out of the Twilight lane and more toward traditional vampire myth. Maybe plqy games with setting or time period. Find a place people don't think about vampires and put vampires there. Maybe take it out of Europe into Africa or Asia? Or get rid of the aritocratic Dracula and give us blue-collar vampires in 1970s Detroit. Those are examples but the larger point being that you can probably do traditional vampire horror but play games with the wheres and whys to get a different view of the narrative.

18. Lemex

Isn't that what Stephen King did with 'Salem's Lot?

19. Commandante Lemming

I wouldn't know. I don't read horror.

20. Shbooblie

Shbooblie Senior Member

I think if you've got a story to tell, tell it!

The best thing to do is try to avoid the cliches that people are getting sick of. Of course it's vampires so you're going to have to put some of them in or they just aren't vampires! But you can put your own spin on them. As far as being different for different's sake, I say be as different as you want to be. Don't stick to other people's rules, invent your own! Can't wait to see what you come up with if you happen to post anything on the forum :)

21. bossfearless

bossfearless Active Member

You just need to come up with your own unique twist on vamps and then suddenly they're good to go. True Blood made vampirism a civil rights issue with the "coming out of the coffin" angle. Twilight (may its pages rot) decided that vampires needed to sparkle. Me? My vampires piss.

Seriously.

Ever notice that any time two vampires come into conflict, they hiss like a couple of stray cats? Got me thinking, which is never a good idea. So now my vampires are constantly pissing all over everything, marking their territory like aggressive felines and generally stinking up the place. And there is nothing that smells worse than vampire piss.

Shbooblie likes this.
  22. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

I'm fairly certain this is one of the best things I've ever read.

23. bossfearless

"I must preface this by saying that there is nothing, not in all the infinite worlds nor the Seventeen Screaming Hells, that smells worse than vampire piss."

Vampire piss is sometimes bottled and used as a stink-grenade by anyone who doesn't mind committing a war crime. The stink lingers and it's so bad that vamps can't sneak up on anyone. Instead they walk up to you on the street, try to strike up a bit of small talk before politely inquiring after a bit of your blood. "Dude, it's only weird if you make it weird."

Shbooblie likes this.
  24. Ozzy

Ozzy Member

I'd make it weird.

25. bossfearless

Just great. I hope you're happy, because now it's weird.