1. biobits

biobits New Member

New to writing - would love some advice please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by biobits, Jun 1, 2009.

Hi
    I am hoping to get a little bit of advice - I am not a writer but i have been writing a story, an emotional journey to find my myself as i used to be someone else, i am 41 yrs old now and my search started 11 years ago and i am trying to write a very complex true life story which takes place from 1965 to the present day. I am about halfway through and I have been told by many people who have read parts of my story that i should consider getting it published and i would like to know if what i am writing would be of interest to the general public.
    I started to put it all down on paper about 5 months ago to record what has happened for my children.
    If anyone is willing to give me the benefit of their experience i would be very grateful.
    Thanks

2. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Hi and welcome, hope to read your work soon! :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Biobits, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

welcome to the forums, bb!

i mentor aspiring writers full time, so please feel free to email me if you need help with this project...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Hey Biobit, what's going on? I'm Hedge -- or Greg, whichever you feel like. Nice to meet you and your work sounds quite interesting. Hope to see your novel from you in the near future. See you around the Forums, and enjoy your path to literary enlightenment. :-D

6. Doug J

Doug J Active Member

Hello Bio,

Good luck w. getting your thoughts down on paper. I'm looking forward to reading the excerpts. This seems like a great forum - good folks - good moderators - good cross-section of folks. Hope you have fun.

7. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Everyone here loves to nurture new people!

If you're looking for critique in your book, look no further.

I'll be glad to help as well. Can't wait if you ever decide to show us the story of your life!

8. biobits

biobits New Member

Thanks for the welcome

Hi
    Thank you for the welcome, i really do not have any idea if what i have been writing is any good - English has never been my favorite subject and due to a learning disability i find reading a chore. But i really need to get my experiences down in print so it does not get forgotten, primarily by my family. I have been amazed but the responce by those who have read some of what i have written which is why i joined to see what the experts think. I will investigate how i post some of my work on here . Do i post the beginning? How much should i put on here? So many questions,
    Thanks again
    Bio

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first, you'll have to do some critiquing of other's work... then, when you've posted the required number of critiques, you can post some of your own... and it's best to just post the first page and give us some idea of what the overall content will be...

10. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

Also, if you're thinking about getting it published be careful about how much you post here.

P.s- Hi! Hope you have a great time and good luck with the book