1. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Novel Novel Idea: opinions needed

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by nativesodlier, Jun 28, 2009.

Okay, so I'm sure someone will let me know if this has been done before but here it goes; I'm thinking about writing a book Hitler that focuses on more of his personal life and the love story between him and Ava Braun. My goal is to have the war going on around the story but never actually a focus point other than to show the back drop that their love grew from.

My question is: would you actually read a book like this? most books don't show the human side of Hitler. they only show him as a tyrant that killed millions. (yes I know that's what he did but that's not the focus of my book nor do i stand by what he did.) However, if written correctly, I believe that the story of love that develops while everything else around is so wretched and awful can make a beautiful story, but I'm wondering if people would take it as the love story it is or only see it as trying to....I don't know, I guess what ever people would get mad about if Hitler was ever portrayed as anything more than a heartless killer.

(I do know there is a book called Hitler's niece) which I've heard portrays Hitler with some heart but just a little and the book ends with him being a heartless person again. (will not spoil it for anyone that will read it.) but basically the book keeps him as the devil with small spots of kindness trickling through that are proven to be only random flukes that subside quickly.)

Furthermore, there is a debate of whether Hitler actually loved Ava Braun or only began a relationship out of fear of dying alone. both would make an interesting story but which do you believe is true?

any opinions on the book Idea, the relationship that was there, or any other comments you believe are relevant to this topic are welcome. thank you.

aaaaaaaaaaand i just realized I should have put this in the feed back and suggestion area so feel free to move mods. sorry.

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't think any writer could pull it off. You could present him as a balanced character, which has been done in a few books and films before, but to make him a sympathetic character? That's a bit of a stretch...as for not focussing on the war...given that the war was Hitler's whole life from the mid-1930's onwards, I think you would find it difficult to leave it out entirely. And if you did, then people would probably resent you for it...you can't write about Hitler's life and leave out the Holocaust.

3. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

I wouldn't read it just because I know it would be fiction.

The problem is, you don't really know enough about Hitler or Braun to really write this story with any accuracy, so most of it will be completely made up. I like to read historical fiction with completely new characters, or if you have to use real people, put them in a situation that everyone knows is false (an alternate universe story, like the Man in the High Castle.)

So, nothing really wrong with it, just not what I'm into.

4. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I am studying WWII in school and apart from telling the Nazi's what to do Hitler didn't actually kill anyone, he just told everyone else to, he did't even go out to war. I think it sounds like a good story but it will be tricky to do.

Oh and if you are doing about this subject, you may wish to do some research on Social-Darwinism

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Maybe its obvious...but why social darwinism?

6. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Because that is the wole reason why WWII started. I know he said she dosn't want the war to be the main focus point but if he touches on it, he'll still needs to get the facts right.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Springtime for Hitler, the fictional play put on by The Producers that was supposed to bomb, but instead ruined them as a comedic success.

But seriously, why do you care if it has been done before? The only thing that matters is whether you do it well.

I don't know how many people would be interested in a story focusing of der Führer's love life. Understanding the man is certainly of historical interest, but focusing solely on his romance with Eva Braun? I just don't see it appealing to a broad audience. But who knows?

I won't even bother posting my oft-used template post about asking for opinions about plot summaries.

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I would certainly read it.

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't read it unless it was heavily based on factual info. Well...maybe even then I still wouldn't read it because it's about Hitler.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

11. Laverick

Laverick New Member

I probably wouldn't read it, since I like to keep my fact and fiction in different categories. Still, there's probably some kind of interest market for it.

12. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Yes that is true that he did just order others to kill but still people call him a killer. If a man tells his dog to attack someone do you blame the dog?

13. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

Yes, I will be touching on it.

thanks for the advice.

14. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

15. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

Beat me.

The plot is flawed in that most people don't actually think that Hitler loved Eva. I mean, he killed her for God's sake. If this is what you want to write about, I would do it with other characters that are based on Hitler and Eva but with no reference to them at all. Then when people read it and love it, you can say, "Hey guys, I based the characters on Hitler and Eva."

16. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

They died together. They chose to die together, or at least as far as we know. (hmm that can make an interesting plot twist) but that's not the reason most people don't believe they didn't love each other. the people that do feel they did not love each other think their coming together was out of fear of dying alone and nothing more.

17. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

Not necessarily true. I would say that Hitler decided that they should die together. I doubt Eva had much say in the matter.

18. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

How did you come to that conclusion? She married a man just as his empire was falling apart. What do you think she expected?

19. A2theDre

A2theDre Active Member

My mistake. That was purely conjecture. Just read up on it a bit. Ewww she was 23 years his junior!!!

20. arron89

arron89 Banned

Well he was the most powerful man in Germany...

21. nativesodlier

nativesodlier Member

lol yeah I use to think that was odd but I knos many people who have twenty years between them minimum. once you reach a certain age it really isnt that big of a difference. (at least in the mind) i mean sure a 24 year old man dating a one year old is disturbing but a fifty year old dating a seventy isn't too bad.

HA, are you implying that she was a gold digger of a different type? Yet even his own men began to see that they were headed down, and fast.