1. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

I need help!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by bluebell80, Aug 22, 2009.

I need to know if this would be confusing for a reader if such a thing happened in the plot.

I have three MC characters. Two of them are being held prisoner together, one is elsewhere doing their own thing, unknown currently to the other two characters.

The story is a little bit sci-fi mixed with zombie horror.

I've currently left one of the captured MC's in an unconscious state, brought on by the captors.

Here's the question: If I totally change the character's setting into an apartment with the other MC, totally alternating her reality, and recent past...this will later be revealed to be a false reality, would it confuse the reader as to what is going on too much and pull them from the story? Would it break the suspension of belief?

2. Nikita88

Nikita88 New Member

Need a bit of clarification here -- when you say, "if I totally change the character's setting into an apartment", are you saying:

1. Change the preexisting writing of them in prison, getting rid of the original prison idea altogether

or

2. Change the setting to an apartment AFTER the reader already knows they're in prison?

I guess I'm confused, in the end... is the false reality the apartment and the "real" reality is prison?

It wouldn't confuse the reader if you wrote it out in a sensible way, which I think you definitely could, but I'd like a few more details on what exactly is the sequence of events here

3. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I've read several books that have tried something along these lines (dream sequences, psychic abilities awakening letting them view the world through other's eyes, etc.). Initially there is a WTF?! moment, but if the author has already hooked me, I will always go along with the ride. Ultimately it comes down to your ability as a writer.

Personally, I think you can do it. You handled it well with the short story contest entry.

~R

4. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Thanks Rum. :) Unfortunately, I think there are still massive flaws or else I don't appeal to the audience here on the forum, no votes for me so far. :(

Nickita,

I was thinking something along the lines of a shared virtual reality sequence for my two captured MC's. Somewhere between The Matrix and Vanilla Sky, while the scientists are experimenting on them, but the audience would only get snippets of what is really happening in reality through dreams or flashes the MC's have while in their virtual world.

I'm not going to go on for more than a chapter like that, interspersing it with my other MC on the outside world trying to survive. I guess I was trying to think of a way to have the other MC's stories give the reader a respite from the action and intensity of the MC in the real world.

Eventually the two captured MC's will escape their captors, and all three MC's will end up together in the same place.

I wasn't sure if putting some calm pieces might enhance or detract from the action parts. It is a toss up for me right now, between this way or having an action scene of their escape, then them trying to get somewhere and trying to survive, then having the three of them meet up.

I also want to give my two MC's being held an chance to develop a relationship, as this is necessary for the plot. It's a matter of either letting them develop the relationship through intense circumstances, or through a calm virtual world.

5. Nikita88

Nikita88 New Member

quick edit: I just read one of your stories in the short story contests -- i REALLY don't think you'll have any trouble creating a successful image for the reader :) Fantastic writing, I can't imagine you'll confuse anyone

6. architectus

architectus Banned

Even if you opt for the intense circumstances, you can always slow things down. They need to rest, to think, to discuss, perhaps.