1. xmollyx

xmollyx New Member

Who was your most favourite character that you created?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by xmollyx, Jan 22, 2009.

I'd have to say that mine was Junie, who was short, fair-skinned and dark-haired. She lived in a small fishing community out east in Nova Scotia, and her dad was an author. I just found her to be very deep and thoughtful.

Discuss:
    Out of anything you've ever written, who was your most favourite character?
    Why?
    Do you tend to remake other characters based on that particular one?

Edit: Sorry if this belongs in character development! Feel free to move it :)

2. Ice

Ice New Member

Tibbaly Tibbit, a sprite I created for one of my fantasy stories when I was, what, ten? Twelve? Of course, the plot and prose themselves were horrible, but I definitely accomplished my goal with the character: humorously annoying and totally useless (most of the time).

Right now I'm designing a thief suffering insomnia. A very long imprisonment has muddled his memory and tamed his murderous inclinations.

3. Plushii

Plushii New Member

My favorite character I have ever written about was Lacey Emrick, she has dyed pink hair and dark brown eyes. She is not a likable character at all, and is quite misanthropic. Her father is an abusive alcoholic, and her mother left the family when she was a baby. Lacey herself is quite an abusive person, and she likes it that way. She tends to feel no remorse for people, and is extremely anti-social in that regard.

Example - Her only friend commits suicide, and the only thing she can think of is, "Thank god. I don't have to put up with her annoying antics anymore."

Yeahhh. Don't know why I like her so much. o.o;

4. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

Does this belong in General Writing?

Oh well.

I try not to pick favorites with my characters and my favorite tends to change at any given time. At the moment, my character of choice is Bran - my poor little princling who's a little insane, mostly sheltered from the outside world, and completely infatuated with his half sister. He's my own strange take on a werewolf, so while he's never actually a wolf (and never actually changes forms in the usual sense), he does do his fair share of mauling innocent townsfolk.

He's one of three villians in my current novel, and I'm having far too much fun writing the awkward scenes with my cowardly prince and his enabling sister... Just don't tell the others, lest they get jealous. :D

5. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I used to draw comics in class that I later adapted into a screenplay. I had a supporting character named Crick. He was basically a perverted elf with no discernable redeeming qualities. He was completely self centered and well aware of his shortcomings but never made any real effort to improve himself. Despite being relatively cliche and static, he was a lot of fun to write. He's the only character I ever had that would successfully write himself again and again, saying and doing things that surprised and shamed me a bit. He was definitely entertaining though...

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have a character named Sam that always seems to make it into my stories. He's usually an infant/toddler, but he's just adorable and I'm very fond of him. :)

7. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I haven't created a detailed character before, but for a short story I had an unnamed soldier who I'm fond of.

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Since we're on a writing forum, it's just "favorite"--there's no such thing as "most favorite." :redface:

I can't pick just one since I have hundreds upon hundreds of characters, and my favorites change every day. But I'm particularly fond of my protagonist Charmian, since she's the first female character I've thoroughly enjoyed writing so much. I was going to write her out of my stories, but I couldn't, I love her that much. It's such a joy to write her.

I could go on at length...but I won't.

9. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

My favorite tends to be whatever character I'm working on at the moment.

I did have a character once though that I became obsessed with. I mean obsessed I was forgetting to eat, bathe, clean house, etc. Her name was (is?) Althea Margarite Rhys, but everyone called her Daisy. She was taken away from me by my husband (then boyfriend) because working on her story was unhealthy for me. The 75% of her novel is in a locked file on his computer. Someday, when I can work on her in a healthy fashion, I will get back to her.

10. Eli

Eli New Member

My favourite was Jude, an incidental character in a peice I wrote at uni. I loved writing her so much I think I might take her back and find another use for her.

She was inspired by a girl I once saw on a train. Shes a heroin addict and in her youth was a model who was always seen on the arm of the next big musician. When we met her in the story she would ride on the tubes all day and night, singing and screaming at the top of her voice and talking to anyone who would listen. She and my main character go on a binge and he ends up sleeping with her, when she wakes up she taunts him about how disgusted he is with her body, forcing herself on him again and laughing.

I just really loved her, and the way she let me show a disgusting side of my MC. Also because she was inspired just by a small glimpse of someone it meant that she was real to me, but still entirely created.

11. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

My favorite character at this point it would feel to be wrong to me to pick a favorite character because that's like my mother having a favorite son. It just doesn't seem right to me.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in my old life, i had two, actually... both based on former lovers... in the unpublished [as far as i know] novels 'casa eva' and 'sin & sanctimony'...

in re my 'maia' writings, i guess it would be [unhumbly] the 'me' character in 'fifth world' [novel and screenplay versions, both never to be completed] since she gets to save the 'deserving few' when planet earth succumbs to mankind's unkind acts...

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

That's hard for me. I tend to attach myself to my characters strongly. I've never made one I didn't love (cause if I didn't like the character I worked them until I did). If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Ulric from Book of the Moon or Kane from my next 003 story line.

14. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Samuel M. Lockhart and Talib D. Shoval are my favorite characters.

Samuel is a half dead creature I call a Twilighter. He has amazing powers and uses them to save his ex girlfriend and daughter from her ex fiance.

Talib is an assassin who kills people MacGuyver style. He is also like Crying Freeman where does not really want to kill. His goal though is payback.

15. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Thats hard partly becasue I hvae this style of character that I love so I have some very similar characters. But If I had to pikc one or three :)p) It would probably be Jessica Mateno, Mellissa Mateno, or Chloe Jacobson.

Jessica and Mellissa are sisters in the novel I'm very slowly working on. Thay also hvae 2 brothers. Jessica is the really strong willed girl who is also one of the kindest girls ever. She is popular and not afrai do what people thinks. Mellissa is her younger sister and she is very sweet, well-loved and quiet. She's very similar to me in alot of ways and I've jsut really invested in both of them, even though Jessica is dead in my novel.

Chloe Jacobson is from a different story. She loves writing and she copes with her life through it. SHe is also a very sweet person who's not perfect but does her best and stays positive and nice through all the challenges thrown at her.

16. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Interesting topic. I'd say I have two favorite characters.

The first one is Thomas Holmes, one of the four main characters of my first project. He was made to represent what happens when somebody who knows what is and what should be gives up fighting for it. I found that his lines, actions, and thoughts conveyed my message better than any of the other main characters, and he really seemed to come to life.

The second is Jocelyn Rose, the protagonist of my current project. She's meant to embody the evolution of independence and self-admiration from roots which discourage such ideals. As far as I'm concerned, she's perfect. Her mannerisms, the emotions (shame, but also a guilty pleasure) she feels when she takes pride in herself, and her overall desperation to discover who she really is really make me proud of her. She's probably the deepest, most complex character I've ever created.

17. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Mine is Kate, and I have a in depth personality profile under the character interview thread.

18. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Tough question. It seems like a lot of people picked two characters, so I'll go that route.
    I'm torn between Reina Solaris and Frank Murdoc, two characters in my current fantasy novel.

Reina is a vampire and one of the only characters who uses magic in the first half of the story. She's actualy a protagonist, but seems like an antagonist much of the time and usually gets in the way of my two MCs. I like her because she usually has witty lines and seems to know everything, while still remaining enigmatic. She dangles information like bait, moving the plot onward, while still hampering progress; both annoying and hilarious at the same time.

Frank is the bad cop in my good-cop-bad-cop deal. He's one of the two MCs and I really didn't like him at first, but started to enjoy writing his narratives more and more as I went on. I envisioned him as a violent, mindless, thug with an indiscriminate hatred for the werewolves and vampires he hunts. But somehow he evolved into an intelligent, calculating, thug, with an indescriminate hatred for them and is now one of the deepest characters in the story.

19. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

My favorite character would have to be San. She is a shade.

Shades are a group of people who find spirits that refuse to pass on and present them at the gate to the next world. They do this because if the spirits remain behind they consume the spirits of others, and when a spirit is destroyed it ceases to exist. Shades cannot pass through the gate because in the line of their work they encounter spirits that resist and so must destroy them. Their work is both good and evil so they cannot be judged. When they die they also cease to exist.

San has stopped doing her job and as a result is being hunted down for execution, but she doesn't know that. She doesn't know anything. Due to an event in her past she has had all memory, humanity, and civilization stripped from her mind and she recieved two enormous scars down her back.

She has become an animal, but she is not a stupid vicious animal. She is intelligent and dangerous, and she has reasons for all her actions. She has many sides to herself, gentel and vicious. Before she became the way she is, she liked to dance.