I read...but I read the wrong things.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Youniquee, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TricksterDizzy

TricksterDizzy New Member

Oh yeah, it's fine. As long as you read the good stuff as well.

I personally am a fanfiction lover, and used to be a lot more obsessed with it. Even though now I look back at some of the stories I read and wince, I am grateful for that time as it taught me what not to do in better terms then had I only read established works.

For instance: The dreaded Mary-Sue. By reading fanfiction and then going back and looking at it later with a more critical eye, I was able to become a better judge of what makes a compelling character and WHY Mary-Sue's are considered so horrible. (For example: the tendency to bend reality around their every whim.)

On the flip-side, reading great fanfiction helped me compare it to the original piece and go 'huh, they actually did some stuff better here.' And I was able to put into words what I liked better. Like with a lot fanfiction vs. the original piece, a lot of the great fanfiction had better and more believable character and story progression. Whereas in the actual canon story it seems the characters never really progress and grow as characters in a noticeable day-to-day fashion.

I was able to pinpoint what was good, and what was bad about these things easily thanks to having something direct to compare it with.

2. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

Since this is the only thread that's speaking about FanFic and there are people that like it...I wanted to say why I don't like it....

....I'd read FanFic because I like most films or TV Shows that they are for...like Glee has FanFic as well as Firefly...but my problem with fanfic is they start going down weird roads like hooking up characters (especially in Glee) that have no business being hooked up. They change the entire makeup of a character so that they'll go with someone else. It makes no sense and as a writer who loves his characters that would really make me mad that people can't see how the character is. It's like being a tad too controlling with characters that are not theirs to begin with.

I thought FanFic was like parodying in a pleasant manner. A big WHAT IF....What if I was the writer for this show where would I take it that makes sense....not what are my fantasies how can I create them.

That's my pet peeve....and I guess the only TV show FanFic that doesn't bounce all over the sex is Star Trek (yes I know some probably do, but most I've seen does not). Those are hardcore fans that get far too technical.

Maybe someone can explain that mentality so I can understand. I see on DeviantArt in the Glee art and it's disturbing.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If you like Firefly fanfic, google "Steven Brust Firefly." His fanfic is available for free on the web. Brust is a very good, established Fantasy author. I guess he liked Firefly so much he decided to write his own fanfic story.

4. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

One of the reasons I don't pick up new shows too often...they cancel the really good ones.

I'll check him out. I like Firefly.

5. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

Reading is reading and can't help but improve your mind and writing skills. It shouldn't matter if your reading fan fiction or poetry, or anything else for that matter. I wouldn't worry about what your reading, instead try to take away from what your reading things that will HELP you. Ie.. if you have issues with dialogue and are reading a fan fiction piece look at how that was done... Mainly, if you like what ever your reading ask yourself why you like it... Is it important in writing? If it is .. then tuck it away for a personal reminder later. The more you learn from what your reading the more you know is what I'm trying to point out.

I'm of the opinion that aside from practice, reading is an important factor in bettering your skills.

6. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

I love to read and write them. I'm writing two now, I'm happy doing it. Though it keeps me busy from writing my book and not a fanfic. Though you can learn fro Fanfic jut you can a book.