1. W. E. Burrough

W. E. Burrough New Member

I, Lame

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by W. E. Burrough, Apr 7, 2012.

Okay so, I was browsing comments about an episode of a show I was planning on downloading. I'm browsing, I'm browsing, and what do I see? I see, "First off, I would like to point out that I am very familiar with dialogue. I wrote a 300+ page book. I should know." The person then prattled on about how "EPIC" the dialogue was. It probably was good, it's Avatar: The Legend of Korra, of course it's good. But still....

Oh man, I was severely annoyed. That had to be THE most pretentious thing I have seen all week. No, ya little tit; just because you wrote a 300 page book does NOT, I repeat not, mean you have a bleeding clue as to what you're tittering on about. Stephanie Meyer wrote four 300+ page books on vampires. Does that mean she had an ever loving clue about vampire mythology? No, it does not.

Anyways, I just wanted to whine.

Know what show is written well? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
    Fluttershy: Amazing. Twilight: pony me, right down to the fear of snakes.

2. Pea

Pea super pea!

Applejack is the best pony.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't understand why you felt the need to vent.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, there is some truth there. If he wrote a 300 page book, it's true that he should know something about dialogue. Assuming there was dialogue in his book.

What he should know, and what he does know, are of course not the same thing.

On the other hand, dialogue is one of the hardest aspects of writing to master. Not every writer does.

But the arrogance. Having written (and presumably sold) a 300-page novel does not mean you are an expert in anything. Having written several might lend more credence, but not necessarily.

The one thing I have seen over the years is that those who are quickest to announce their credentials are often those with the shakiest qualifications. Caveat emptor.

Judge by the substance, not by the testimonials they present.

5. W. E. Burrough

I was under the impression we could talk about anything, my mistake. If I had known it was a problem, well, I just wouldn't have done it. Talking on a writing lounge, blast, I was a fool.

6. W. E. Burrough

I don't think I'm ever going to master dialogue. Mine sounds, I don't know, hollow.

7. Lemex

Please actually read the post you quoted. I wasn't criticizing you, I just mean this isn't really 'venting' material; so you found someone who apparently thinks highly of themselves - so? You find assholes like this all the time.

Honestly, if you are getting defensive over that you don't have a very thick skin.

8. W. E. Burrough

Lol, "please actually read the post you quoted". I was saying all that in a jokingly sarcastic manner. I wasn't "defensive" in the least, nor did I feel as if I was being "criticized". Do you honestly believe I would come on a forum like this and not expect a comment like yours? Er, scratch that, you don't really know me. But, for the record, I wouldn't. :3

9. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

[humor]
    There are always going to be those who will address ambiguous statements.I have found it worthwhile using identifiers like [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] to indicate these areas helpful. Especially to those of us who already have sensitivity issues like taking several seconds to register being hit by a truck. The fact I regularly have to take large doses of pain killers often amplifies the problem. Be kind use a sign.[/humor]

10. Lemex

Dude. This is the internet. If we where talking face-to-face I could tell how I was supposed to interpret things by inflections and facial expressions. On an online forum forum such as this I just have the words, and naturally I treat all written messages in a deadpan, face-value sort of way unless I have identifiers, as superpsycho rightly points out. I'm glad you didn't take offense though. That's the last thing I'd want.

11. W. E. Burrough

I've never usually felt the need to use "identifiers", but if it'll prevent a disasterpiece like this from being created again, I shall. :D Thank you for the tip.

12. W. E. Burrough

I've met a few girls exactly like her, accent and all. It's wonderrific. xD

13. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

This the problem with any written treatise. I was once reading a review, and the author punctuated a sentence with my first name. I found out later that this was his style. He thought it was chatty and catchy to end sentences with, Bob, Irene, or Sydney. By dumb luck, the piece I wanted to read had my name in it, and I thought I was being stalked or punked.

As for dialogue, my wife and I read these sections out loud, both to polish the smoothness, try to eliminate pretentious phrases, and see if the humor holds. This is very important in her case, she's a teacher writing a children's book.

14. RowenaFW

RowenaFW New Member

JUST??? On a writing forum? :eek: Arurghhg... my soul is crrcracking...!

I write dialogue as a script. Frequently I don't even put names down the side. Then I add in actions, who's saying what and how they're saying it when I write it up.

What then for her wayward cousin, Rychard Wystan – his example can only bear testimony to the even more ignominious and sly behaviour of the womenfolk of that family; did she trap you, then persuade you make a good woman of her? Was her father in on it?
    Take that back! You will take back your remarks, or I shall order you from my house!
    What are you doing here? Get out of the way. Leave us!
    Do not touch her! You have no right to lay your hands upon my wife!
    No. That is your responsibility! And you should discipline her not to interrupt matters which do not concern her, the way I taught you discipline when you were a child!
    When I was a child, and unable to defend myself, father!
    When you were even more of a weakling than you are now!

Somebody gets hit. Three people are present. It helps to have this information

15. Lemex

You would use an exclamation mark after an ellipsis! My soul is dying. Arrrgghhh!