1. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

I struggle with novel writing so could this work instead?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Meteor, Oct 15, 2014.

Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to view this post. Like the title says I've always struggled with novel projects but, I tend to do pretty good with short stories. I want to write a larger work though I can't seem to get it done. I wanted to ask for opinions on something I'm thinking of trying that I refer to as 'episode writing'. Instead of one long work I write shorter works that are all linked together. Kind of like watching a TV series or an animated series. Do you think this could work out or does it just sound like a terrible idea? How would I go about getting something like that published later on after I've written a few?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It seems to me like these "shorter works that are all linked together" are nothing more than chapters of a novel.

HelloThere likes this.
  3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

You could always write short stories and bundle them together to get published.
    Wouldn't be the first author to do so.
    Whether they're connected or not.

Nothing wrong with short stories either.
    Magazines might publish them and houses might go for it if they're into novella or novelletes.

4. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I wrote a lot of my book by writing stand alone chapters.

6. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

It's harder to put arcs in over a serial's life, especially if you publish as you go (like on a blog). If you've got good characters and fascinating stories, though, go for it.

7. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and who knows maybe short stories are my thing. I'll have to work on that short stories being chapters thing too. :)

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Just remember that chapters are not short stories - they are a continuation of the long story. A novel is not a bunch of short stories strung together. A novel is a long story with plot, subplots, characters, etc blended into a whole.

Not everyone can write a novel. Not everyone can write short stories.

tonguetied likes this.
  9. A.J. Pruitt

A.J. Pruitt Member

Meteor; I have known many people who cannot write anything over 50,000 words. I have also met many people who cannot write a short story under 25,000 words. On a personal basis, every one of my attempted short stories end up in the 10,000 + words range. If I am required to write a short story for a magazine; like in ghost writing, I will do the rough draft, polish it a bit; then, have a trusted colleague of mine "butcher" my 10 - 15000 word master piece to less than 8000 words.

As was mentioned above, a series is rarely put together in the same book.

If you know of a friend who writes, he/she could be your answer. Let someone else read your stories and see if they find it lacking continuity in the narrative or the dialogue. In my abbreviated editing career, I found the fore mentioned to be a problem with many works I have worked with.

Meteor likes this.
  10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Ditto. I struggle massively when I try to write short stories. I have gotten better at it, but I still have an immense respect for those who can craft such a brief, yet powerful tale.

11. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

That's interesting because I'm the opposite.