1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I swear i have ADHD

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Neoaptt, Feb 20, 2010.

I think i have ADHD when it comes to writing. I could be really into the writing at the beginning then 3 minutes into it. Completely bummed out about it.

I am wondering if there are any trick that you guys do to keep interested long enough to write stories, let alone novels.

2. cboatsman

cboatsman Senior Member

We actually just discussed this earlier this week: http://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=28872

Summary: You need to write and keep writing if you ever want to finish your work. If you are writing for pleasure, then stop when the pleasure stops. If you are writing to improve yourself and take the hobby more seriously with possible aims of being published then you need to force yourself to write whether you have the motivation/inspiration or not.

Caleb

3. Anonym

Anonym Contributing Member

i agree w/ this man ^^^

most of my stories end up becoming a major intellectual/emotional investment, after which, its really not hard to keep interested. tho yea, some scenes & issues simply don't hold my attention like other aspects of the story, definitely. can't think of any tricks tho, srry.

4. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Senior Member

"A monk for just three days"

Best, Whiskey

5. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I guess that's the best you can say to someone. Unless you are there. Then you can put ice down there back when they are about to sleep. "Keep WRITING"

Usually things like this make sense to me. But... Not this one.

6. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

"I exist to overcome."

Repeat this line to yourself. If you feel that writing is part of your existence, rather a major part of your life, tell yourself this. If it manages to get you to continue writing, then continuously repeat this line in your head. That is what I do whenever I feel like I can't go on.

1 person likes this.
  7. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Deep. Real deep. This is something i'll have to try.

Did you know its called self hypnosis? (OMG I SPELT HYPNOSIS RIGHT!!!)

8. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

^Yes, I know what that means.

Here's another piece of advice, straight out of my story.

In my story, regular mirrors can reflect the true form of a person, like if they were a demon, humans with the naked eye cannot see that, but if they saw their reflection in the mirror then they'd know.

Look at yourself in the mirror. Do you enjoy your reflection? Do you neglect it? You must make sure that you enjoy looking at your own reflection, or else you are rejecting your true self, the one who wants to become a writer.

9. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

More deep stuff... I think i just found a 5 year old sandwich.

Hmm.. I don't like myself that much. That's why i make up things. Like the stories I write.

10. LittleFire

LittleFire New Member

Well prepare for more deep stuff, since you enjoy it so much. :)

Everyone hates at least one thing about themselves. To me, everyone needs to be balanced between love and hate. Any other emotion is simply a bonus.

So hate yourself. Harm yourself if you must, *if you maim yourself, don't blame me, you went too far :p* but know that by hating yourself and attacking the hate with more hate, you are actually pushing it back. This will make room for the other side of your heart, thus increasing the balance a bit.

Yes, I'm likely starting to get creepy, but oh well.

11. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Oh you haven't gotten creepy by far. The voices in my head told me so.

Moar!!!

12. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

I'm manic depressive so I know how you feel. It's hard to get into the swing of writing. And stick with it too. When I don't write for days, I become depressed with myself, like I haven't accomplished something. But when I do write I feel a release.

Try regular habits of writing. Sit down each day and write whatever comes to mind. And if that doesn't work. READ something to hopefully give more inspiration. Balance the two each day (everyday as an exercise) give yourself assignments if you have to. With real deadlines.

If writing is as important to you as it is for me, you will WILL yourself to do so. And over time, you will make it.

Another idea is...if you find yourself short of attention to writing but want to write, write a poem or flash story of 100 words or so and keep shaping that. Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

13. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Thanks. Yeah it does.

14. writewizard

writewizard Contributing Member

I actually am ADHD and I have somewhat of the same problem. You need to get so imsersed in your writing that you don't want to take a break. Because if you aren't interested in your writing, who is going to be? If you bounce from topic to topic that's fine, just keep writing. I try and stick with just one topic but sometimes I agree it is very hard.

15. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I guess thats allright!