1. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

I think I am being ripped off....

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Mike Kobernus, Mar 2, 2016.

I published an anthology a while back, the first book my small press released.

I put it out via CreateSpace, and you can see it on Amazon. Today, I discovered that there is actually a kindle version. More even, they have sold at least one copy, since there is a review that comes from a kindle version.

WTF?

I did not release a kindle version! So who did and how?

Mega weird.

Anyone else see this kind of thing with your own books?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Have you contacted Amazon? (Is that who's selling the Kindle version?)

I'm pretty sure there's a button on the CreateSpace website that allows you to publish on Kindle (Createspace is owned by Amazon). My suspicion is that you pressed this button without realizing it. It's pretty easy to plagiarize an e-book, but much harder if the book is only available in a print version.

Franselect likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

@BayView raises a good point. Did you get anything from the kindle version? Maybe wait and look for proceeds? If nothing's coming back to you, then I would say it's confirmed something bad is going on.

4. Mike Kobernus

I did check to see if there was any income derived from a kindle and I did not see anything. As for pressing the wrong button, while I concede that I could EASILY do that, createspace kicked out the PDF document, as not kindle ready. It wants me to upload it again. Anyway, when I viewed the details for the book on createspace, it clearly indicated that there was no kindle version. The kindle link, which you can see under Distribute, would have a green check, I assume, while mine had a red symbol like in the image below...(Image used for illustration purposes only.)

[​IMG]

5. Oscar Leigh

Okay, that's definitely suspicious. Unfortunately, I don't have any real experience in this area as of yet. I can't be much help. Sorry. Maybe get spy-ware or something?

Mike Kobernus likes this.
  6. Mike Kobernus

I talked with KDP. Turns out I am not being ripped off, but I am senile! Seems that I must have setup a KDP account, forgotten it, and then created a new one. The original account contains my book. Now I will simply (fingers crossed) merge the accounts, and all will be well.

7. Oscar Leigh

Cool. Hope things go well for you. :)

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

Interesting, I am considering putting an anthology together. I might have a few questions to ask if you don't mind.

10. Franselect

Franselect Banned

11. Franselect

Franselect Banned

Yes that could be exactly what went wrong

12. Mike Kobernus

No, Franselect, et al.

It was forgetfulness on my part. I made an account on KDP, put out a book, then forgot about it. Years later I got a big surprise when I discovered it. But then an even bigger surprise when it turns out that it was MY account.

Sigh...

jannert and Mordred85 like this.
  13. Franselect

Franselect Banned

alright, good you found out the problem

Mike Kobernus likes this.
  14. chongjasmine

chongjasmine New Member

Glad you solve your problem.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, that's a relief.

I have a friend here in Scotland who wrote and traditionally published two historical novels set during the Napoleonic Wars back in the 1970s. They have been out of print for ages.

However, he just discovered (via another unrelated search) that an e-book version of one of them has been on sale in Australia and New Zealand for a while—probably beginning with the popularity of the Sharpe TV series and subsequent interest in the Napoleonic period.

My friend NEVER authorised any e-book version of either of his novels (he's actually not too swift with computers and the internet). What really irks him is that these versions apparently sold (or are selling) fairly well. He's never received a penny from these sales.

He is actually a retired attorney, and will be pursuing this, once he recovers from a bout of cancer surgery. I'm interested in how this kind of thing can operate. Any international hocus-pocus is difficult to pursue through courts, unfortunately.

16. Mike Kobernus

I think you are right that it would be difficult to pin down the culprits. But what are the avenues currently selling the book? THEY are also responsible, and would be liable to a lawsuit. I should think that contacting them would be the first start, and have them pull the offending item from their virtual shelves.
    Do keep us informed on future progress, jannert. I suspect that this is a story that will affect many of us in the future.

17. Ashley Harrison

Ashley Harrison Active Member

Hi Jannert,

Here's a question you may know the answer to and I'd appreciate your help. How can you secure an effective copyright that would stand up in a court of law and categorically state, you're the sole owner over your intellectual property? I've been told by someone that is a published author, that as soon as you create written material, you already own the copyright. I've read a UK government website in regards to copyright, but they don't have any guaranteed system of establishing copyright to satisfy pure ownership. There are websites that you can pay to digitally store your intellectual property, which show the date of receipt. My instincts are not to trust these companies with my material, I may be wrong to mistrust them but once you send it, who knows what hands it could end up in. As your friend has found out, there are a lot of fraudulent people and dishonest hucksters in the world, that make me even more disheartened and cynical of trusting anyone with my writing. I was wondering if you knew of a cast iron way of proving you hold exclusive rights to your intellectual property?

Kind regards,

Ashley.

18. Steerpike

@Ashley Harrison you can register the copyright before you publish the work or otherwise distribute. That will show possession as of the registration date, and also give you the benefits of registration. There are other things you could do, I suppose, but why not just register it?

19. Ashley Harrison

Register it where?

20. Steerpike

jannert likes this.
  21. Ashley Harrison

These are one of the many companies that offer their services, that I doubt their authenticity. The American website is an official government service, there's no such UK system in existence unfortunately. Thank you for your help though. :)

22. Steerpike

You're right. Maybe the UK doesn't have an official procedure. You could always have your work witnessed/signed by some people who would be willing to testify in court, I suppose. There's nothing that will give you categorical proof that could never be challenged by another party.

23. Ashley Harrison

It's shame, I don't know why the UK is lax in establishing copyright, especially when infringement on copyright of known works in the UK, carries very harsh penalties. Surely having an official channel of legal protection like they have in America, would prevent judicial wrangling in courts. There are some peculiar differences between the USA and the UK legal systems, that are not always in the best interests of the public. Thanks for trying to help me.

24. Steerpike

You can probably register it in the U.S. if you like. The UK is a party to the Berne Convention.

Ashley Harrison likes this.
  25. Ashley Harrison

Thank you so much, that's very useful information. I didn't know about the 'Berne Convention', it looks promising. It might be the answer I've been searching for. 'Writing Forums' has a wealth of knowledge, I'm glad I'm on here. Thank you Steerpike.