1. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

I think i am finished but i can't be sure

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jesusfreak97, Oct 1, 2015.

So I THINK I finished a story. I don't know what else to write because the next book kind of takes care of it. So I'm kind of at a loss. The other issue is that it is only 13 and a half pages. :-( What do i do?

I was thinking one option was to tack this story (as a separate book) on to the beginning of book 2. Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

If it's thirteen and a half pages, I'm sure it can be tacked onto book two. Or instead of tacking on, how about merging?

3. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

I recently read The Pearl by John Steinbeck. It is only about 80 pages long and the story can be broken down to (no spoilers).

They wake up.
    They find something.
    They try to get rid of it.
    They flee.
    They go back.

It took me five lines to summarize this very simple story, and yet he managed to write 80 pages about it. I suspect you have made the error of writing the story, but not the book - I imagine there is a lot more to write than you have written.

4. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

Well I have managed to get it to about 15 pages and 7189 words so I dunno. The end just seems so final...

5. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

The only problem is that the stories have different MC's and take place in different time periods. (they do have overlapping characters) but they are not the main ones. So would that still be possible?

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I don't understand the problem. You've written book 1 of a series and it's only 15 pages?

7. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

It sounds more to me like your "Book 1" is really Book 2's first chapter. Possibly a prologue, considering the different POV and time period (though that doesn't always mean "prologue"--see the first Harry Potter book).

8. Bocere

Bocere Member

I would say you don't have to add anything onto the end, but I would be willing to bet there may be some details or subplots in the middle that could be re-evaluated and enhanced.

What I would recommend would be to find some good critique partners and have them read through it and tell you what they feel is missing. At least I know when I write I often have a million thoughts in my head that I thought I put on paper, only to realize when someone comes in with fresh eyes that I didn't really include any of that (or enough of it) in the actual story.

For example, I felt like my first novel manuscript initially ended up a bit short, but after I had my critique partners take a look and point out all of the thin areas, missed opportunities for character development, etc. I ended up adding nearly another 15,000 words. Fresh eyes can never hurt :)

9. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

But I don't know anyone who would critique it. :-(

10. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

Novel section is down there

||
    V

11. Elena Schmetterling

Elena Schmetterling Member

I wouldn't mind having a look.

12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll Bite the bullet, do your own thing. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Just make it a 'separated' series in one big book, like the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov did. Can easily squeeze a few books into one big one if you want to. Just an idea. :p