1. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

I think I figured it out...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by drifter265, Mar 4, 2013.

A few months ago, I was reading how to write better on google and came across a Kurt Vonnegut quote: "Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water."

I skimmed over it and thought, "Ya that makes sense," but then never applied it to my writing. I was just always worried about the plot. Now that I am giving every character something to want it is easier to write. Think about it, everything that happens to the character that doesn't advance them to their want is a plot and them finally getting is the end, or the beginning of a new want.

It's helped me a lot. Anyone have some good tips like this?

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Its all under character development which means you want your characters to be believable to readers, how you do it?
    Look around you and see the people you know how they do things and why, sometimes a person wants one thing but has to do another thing and pay a price so will he do it at the end? show them how they struggle, how they coup with challenges life throws at them, make them deal with things everyday people deal with like "will i get a goodnight sleep tonight?, how much can i trust this person?"

Frodo and Sam didnt want to leave the Shire but they had to do it

Always give the reader something they can relate to, dont overdo it but seek a balance in everything