1. Megs33

Megs33 Active Member

I think I'm going to like it here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Megs33, Jul 7, 2016.

Hi everyone!

Not gonna lie... posting a thread visible to a bunch of writers is intimidating, even when I'm just introducing myself. I'm not sure I want to disclose how much time I dedicated to re-reading and editing what is below...

My name is Meghan, and I'm a daydreamer who loves a good science fiction/fantasy read. I struggle with focusing on my 8-5 job (I'm an admin at a university), and lately I've realized that I want to dive a little deeper in to something that piques my creative curiosity. By that I mean I can't stand sitting at a desk staring at an email inbox for eight hours a day. I'm about 50-50 on wanting to just quit my job and write full time, but the practical part of me that enjoys living in a house realizes that there is some foundation-building that needs to take place first.

I'm ridiculously happy that I had the presence of mind to google "aspiring author forums", otherwise I would not have found this awesome place.

I have dozens of ideas that float through my head, and I've been too scared to write them down (I get the feeling that's pretty par for the course). I will be spending a significant amount of my time trolling the "nuts and bolts" pages to learn a thing or two and build on my scrappy ideas, and I hope to make some solid connections with people who occupy different stages of this process.

I'm fascinated by computer mediated communication (communication in text). My master's project (a 60-page mess that I have a pipe dream of publishing in an academic journal someday) was about how punctuation affects a sentence. For example, "We need to talk." sends a very different message than "We need to talk!!!". I'd like to think I can put together a pretty mean dialogue once I get past pesky things like not knowing what the crap I'm doing.

I'm an impatient perfectionist who needs to learn a thing or two before I can feel confident in being successful. I really look forward to learning from everyone and building a solid network of confidants along the way.

Sack-a-Doo! and Brindy like this.
  2. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Welcome! I bet you'll have a lot of fun here.

3. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Ello.

:crazy:

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I like that.