?

Do you know the general direction of your story before you write it?

1. Well, obviously. It's my story. I bend it to my will!

40.0%
  2. Um...no...are you kidding? You're new here, aren't you?

20.0%
  3. Story? Oh, you mean those things some people actually finish.

50.0%
  4. I read other's stories and tell them what to do with it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

I think, therefore I dream...

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Sheadra, May 17, 2015.

...and write.

This is my first entry, on my first night as a member of this forum.

What I'm hoping to achieve:
    Bring the shadowy beginnings of what lurks in my mind out into the light, play with it, and leave behind the written evidence that I was there.

I want to say write daily, but I'm afraid I'll fail at that and then be discouraged. I'll say, "Write daily" anyway.
    What I'd like to write:
    Stories with and about women.
    The moment. The one that changes everything.
    SciFi

Currently working on: A project going by the name "The Changed Ones". I don't like the name. I've got about 3 and a half pages and many more pages of random ramblings, notes, theories, etc. How that's going to be a story, or what it's point is, I have no idea.

2. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

1739 words so far today, split between journaling about recent movies, reading, etc, and work on a character that I've fallen in love with in The Changed Ones. It's lead me to an idea that's a bit different. I'm running with it for now so I can see where this line of thought leads.

3. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

974 words: mostly journaling and exploring one of the characters for The Changed Ones.

Read: The Unwritten volume 5 and The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year volume 1.

4. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

833 words. Mostly exploring new ideas triggers from reading things here on the forum or in books/movies/comics I've consumed lately. Got a great thing going with the AR and potentials. That project is so tiny it doesn't have a name yet.

5. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributing Member

What's an AR?

6. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

Augmented Reality. The following link is a nice primer. I've been following the basic developments of it since I heard about Google Glass.
    What is Augmented reality?-

7. Aaron DC

Ah yes. I know what augmented reality is. Just had not read the abbreviation often enough to link them.

8. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

Not a lot of writing lately. Spent some much needed time with friends and have been reading SciFi and Fantasy short stories as well as doing some reading for people on the workshops. Hopefully I'll be qualified to post in there soon, and then I can figure out what I want to post! It's hard knowing that posting here could hurt my ability to publish, but I also know that I currently am not even CLOSE to publishing a thing.

9. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

This is day one of a 5 day weekend. I can't tell you how excited I am. I've got some other things planned, but other than that, I'm going to use the time to write.

See, before I left for work today I had a white board moment. I have 4...5? whiteboards in my one bedroom apartment. They've got ideas scribbled all over them. For some reason the urge to write, the ideas, show up most often when I'm on my way out the door, or cleaning, or should be in bed. If I go to the computer I'll never get out the door/get to work/sleep/have a clean apartment again. Ever.
    So this morening I had a whiteboard moment, followed by going to work, followed by sheer excitement all day, then the random 5 day weekend, then utter shock that not only had I sketched a rough plot out for The Changed Ones, but I would have days of time to myself with barely any reason to leave my computer screen in front of me.

I've written noting. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I have all these prior engagements. Then a friend asked me to read something of his. I'm stoked to do it. It says a lot about his respect for me.

I really have ot go to bed. I have to be up early. If I get up early enough I'll have a bit of writing time where I can elaborate on my scribbled notes. Incubation time never hurt such a scrawny idea. I also listened to http://www.writingexcuses.com/category/season/season-10/, Episodes 10.3 and 10.4. I am going to try the writing prompt from 10.4, but I also love the idea of some day incorporating Lovecraftian horror into my writing so I'll try that at some point too.

Also, today I learved a thing. [​IMG]

I've totally been the last one so far. I'm hoping to be a bit of both a plotter and pantser. I hate outlining, but the one this morning, thin though it is, was exciting to do. I hope after some time to rest I'lll be able to approach it and fill it out a bit more.
    I really enjoyed this article: https://www.autocrit.com/editing/library/plotter-or-pantser-the-best-of-both-worlds/

10. Aaron DC

Hey I read that term "pantser" for the first time last night - in some 22 steps to master story telling book I started reading. My last "how to write book", though, as 3 books on story and its creative process and one on dialog is enough.

I think knowing and understanding your own personality type and then playing to its strengths could possibly help?

Good luck for the weekend - I hope you come out the other end feeling satisfied with what you achieve.

11. Aaron DC

So I had a quick look in a few other journals and um noone outside the thread creator posts. Have I made a booboo by posting here? o_O

Sheadra likes this.
  12. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

No, I don't mind. :) They can make them private and set it so no one can post, and maybe that's what everyone else has done. I work better in conversation with people though, so I figured I'd leave it open to commentary, questions, and hopefully some encouragement.

13. Sheadra

Sheadra Member

Today I wrote 507 words, and I think they are the first 507 words in my entire book. *awed silence*

I'm so thrilled! I have to go to a social event now, but I can't wait to get back and do more on this! I've got a loose outline of the basic events to the overall plot as well.

I've also been doing a lot of research/prewriting lately. Not sure how many words. I'll have to look that up later.