1. Saraaar

Saraaar New Member

I use a Typewriter...

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Saraaar, Jan 28, 2017.

..for a varied number of reasons. Mostly that I hate staring at a computer screen and when I write by hand I get cramp!

So I'm looking for a decent software programme (preferably free!) that will take my typed documents and turn them into an editable text format.

Does anyone know of one?

Cheers!

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You're looking for Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software - there's quite a bit of it available for free online, but I haven't used it so can't give a personal recommendation. But if you search for OCR it should help.

Saraaar likes this.
  3. Saraaar

Saraaar New Member

Thank you very much, that's very helpful! At least I know where to start looking.

4. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

Many multimode inkjet printers @$100 have a built in scanner/OCR that comes with them. Be prepared to do a heck of a lot of editing!

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Typewriter.jpg

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. kenc

kenc Member

Hmm interesting. Personally I think typewriters are terrible to use, but your point about not wanting to look at the computer screen is a good one.

I think an interesting solution would be if someone created a e-reader style screen that you could use with a computer. I haven't heard of such a thing, but it would be a good solution to your dilemma.

Tip: For those who do use computer screens, setting a dark background with white text should induce less eye strain. That's what I do.

Edit: I found this product which looks interesting.

7. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Or turn off your monitor and just touch type the whole thing, then go back and unf**k it later. Might help with the excessive self-editing.

Not implying that anyone else has that problem, but I know I do.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

At least one person is trying to create an old-timie keyboard that bluetooth connects with digital devices. Should appeal to the Steampunks amongst us. If only they would get rid of that obnoxious lettering on the item, though... o_O

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slices/vintage-style-keyboard-turns-your-computer-old-school-typewriter

Screen Shot 2017-02-04 at 2.06.31 PM.png

And someone else is retrofitting actual old-school machines to interface with modern tech.

https://digitash.com/uncategorized/typewriter-keyboard-for-computer/

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Lots of people claim they get cramps when they write by hand. Instead of getting a typewriter, why don't these people practice handwriting, so their hands get trained? It's cheaper than buying a typewriter!

10. kenc

kenc Member

Computer keyboards are superior to typewriters as they require less force to activate the keys and are therefore less punishing on the muscles in your fingers.

For anyone experiencing cramps or pains from typing, there are a number of factors you could consider:

- Most computer keyboards are cheap and poor quality. Mechanical keyboards are a much better bet. Make sure you have a decent quality keyboard!
    See http://www.tomsguide.com/us/why-you-want-mechanical-keyboard,news-19706.html

- Keyboards with split halves can help as they prevent your shoulders being overly bunched over the keyboard.
    Look up the Kinesis Freestyle 2 or the Matias Ergo Pro.

- Consider the use of foot pedals. You can, for example, avoid having to reach for Shift (which is awkward) by using a foot pedal for this instead.

- Learn good touch-typing technique.

- For those who are serious about their typing, consider learning a new layout. The QWERTY keyboard is not laid out efficiently. For a better alternative, take a look at Colemak for example. It's not easy to switch, but if you spend a lot of your life at a keyboard, it might be worth your while!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Last summer, I (well, Mrs. A, it was on my birthday list) splashed out for a keyboard with Cherry MX switches. This isn't the keyboard maker, but the company that makes the switches that you pressing the keys activate. They make them in several stiffenesses, and with or without a "clicky" function. The clicky thing is actually a small mechanical doodad in each key that makes it click when you push down on it. I don't remember exactly which switch I got, I think it was the MX Blue, which is medium stiffness with the clicky sound, but I'm very happy when I'm using it. The clicks are optional, and there are either three or four different stiffnesses to choose from, so if you think it sounds like it might be your thing, head to your nearest large electronics store and give them a rattle.

FYI, they aren't cheap, they start at around a hundred bucks here, but I figured if I was going to try and get seriously into the writer thing, having the right tools instead of spongy twenty-dollar crap was worthwhile. My output hasn't been very good lately, but the keyboard is definitely not the problem. :)

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I've been looking at mechnaical keyboards, but its the click that puts me off so i'm glad to hear its optional

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Handwriting is also really really slow, compared to typing.

That doesn't mean that I understand the typewriter. And I have tried to write by hand, in case it turned out to influence my creativity in some different way. But it was sloooooow.

14. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I tried handwriting a while back, but I kept slipping into 1st person, which was just as confusing as it was annoying.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed