Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Plagiarism!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lemex, Oct 1, 2008.

So I was randomly browsing on the net today when I found out that someone has been copying my storeys, and putting his own name to them.

Check out this.

http://www.ingilizceforum.net/the-strange-old-house-t-24966.html

This person has copied my entire story, and put it in his own name (You can find it under my name on this site.) and he has even copied some of the comments as 'comments.'

So a question, is this Plagiarism?

Edit: Seeing as this is the only site I have posted this story on, I regret say I will not be posting any more short stories on this site from now on.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

If that is the case, then YES, it is plagerism. I would join the forum and contact the administrator immediately! Or find how to contact the admin without joining.

But it is without a doubt, plagerising if this is the case.

I am so very sorry, that this has happened to you Lemex. I suggest, if you would like any help with your writing, post small excerpts of it, not the entire piece, or ask organise with someone to review it privately. Again, I am extremely sorry that you have had this happen to you. I had a case of someone plagerising my work, she would merely alter one or two lines, and try to deny it was plagerising. I don't post anything that I would potentially like to publish anyway.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Also very sorry to hear this

If you do post small sniplets, if would also be good to remove (delete) after a few days (after some recieve comments/reviews), as you can always go back and read the comments to help fix what you may, while the actual context doesnt need to be used (reducing people stealing it)

Or you could just find some trusting members (as im sure you have since you have joined) and have those people help you, rather then post them.

Again, sorry ti hear this. Hope the piece tha was stollen, was not large (of more then one etc).

Edit - and a super mod, eek

4. Lemex

It wasn't even good a good story, I'm currently working on improving it, and changing the story purely 'cos I like the opening and the two people in the story are me and my best friend (Though unnamed of course.)

I really want to join the forum and sent a message of complaint to the admin, but I don't understand a word of Turkish, so I'll likely to get lost. Anyone on here know a bit of Turkish?

Anyway, thank you for the comments.
    Lots of love.

5. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    This is very serious, I’ve always thought the writers on this site to be honourable…This is rather disappointing.

I’m sad for what has happened to you. No writer works this hard just to have this type of thing happen to their work. I myself would do as you are and remove my work from the forums. Perhaps you could have a moderator do this for you. However keep the plagiarised piece up so you can prove the cheat stole your work with the dates on your short story.

6. Torana

I noted that you posted on the 17/08/2008
    below are the dates in which this person has copied the posts... it is definitely plagerism if this is not yourself that has posted. All of which are posted within a few days of posts being made in response to replies to your piece on this forum and all are identical with this person altering our members replies to say this is why things have been done...

30-08-2008 08:22 AM initial post
    31-08-2008 12:25 AM second post
    02-09-2008 12:40 AM final post

7. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

OMG! Lemex that's awful!! That's definitely plagurism. Even worse he's a super mod!! How bad is that?! :eek:

I would try and hold out hope that perhaps he was using it as an example of the english language as it's under a learning english/reading thing but... he's changed the name. So there goes all my limp optimism.

I'm so sorry Lemex, that really is terrible. :(

I'm sure someone here will know what to do. I'd confront him and demand he takes it down but I've not dealt with something like this before so that might not be the best way to deal with it. But don't let him get away with it!! :mad:

8. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

LOL and someone is one step ahead of me. I hope this gets resolved for you Lemex. Smart thinking Tor

9. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Even if it is under learning english he still has to ask Lemex for post rights. Like Miss Edi has said someone here will know what to do, I'd speak with Cogito, if not ask TW Erwin about your rights he knows a fair bit about writing

10. Speedy

11. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Yeah, but I was hoping the creditation bit might be in turkish so I couldn't read it... That's the last time I bother with optimism! :(

GloomKitty's spot on, Cogito or TW Erwin will be able to help. There are quite a few people here who may know a little law, they might be able to help too.

12. Torana

i have the admins email!!!

13. Lemex

Thank you Torana, this has really upset me, I've already deleted all short storys on this site I have written.
    I really hope this is resolved soon.

14. Speedy

you found his emsail, or you already have his email (as in you might alreadu know this bloke?)

could th story be unfolding?

15. Torana

No, I was looking at the site for any possible contact details so that our staff here could contact them and try to help Lemex resolve this matter as quickly as possible.

It was at the bottom of the forum index page. I can provide a image if you would so like!

16. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Great work Tor

17. Torana

I encourage all members, that if they are going to post work, just post excerpts, not entire pieces.

You often make the same mistakes all the way through anyway. Sometimes, a review of one paragraph, of 5-10 lines, can be more helpful than an entire story, as it helps you to develop your own reviewing skills even more.

Torana

18. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I pray there is a special little corner of Hell for people who steal other people's writing. I envision that in this little corner of Hell, Beelzebub rarely visits because the neighborhood is too rough for him.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin'bout. :(

19. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is most certainly plagiarism.

Lemex, I'm sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, there are pathetic individuals on the World Wide Net who have no qualms about stealing other people's work. It is an inherent risk of posting on a public site.

However, this person should be exposed as a plagiarist. If the web site itself is reputable, they will act against him (banning and removing all plagiarized work). If I were to plagiarize here, I would be banned within the hour, and rightfully so.

Meanwhile, if you want to pursue this, collect as much information as possible about the author and the site. You should then contact a lawyer to find out what your options are against the individual plagiarist, or the site itself if it supports plagiarism.

Everyone should realize that although the Review Room post contents are not visible without a login, it is easy to get a login with a throwaway email address as the only identification. There are "members" who join merely to browse - they never post or message, and most of them are just here to read and enjoy other people's writing. But there are bad apples.

Begin with an email to the admin of the site, repoerting the plagiarism and demanding the removal of the writing. CC someone else who can act as a witness that the email demand was sent.

20. Lemex

I just want him to take it off the internet, or change the story to have my name as the header. As it rightly should be.

I can prove it is my story, as I have the first drafts as evidence.
    Also, as I said earlier, my best friend was with me when I first came up with the idea for, and started writing this story, as I got the idea for it when him and I walked around for a place to shoot.

21. Cogito

All reasonable, and it is fully your right to demand that
    I don't know Turkey in terms of copyright law though.

22. Cogito

If you know anyone who reads Turkish, that would help also.

This may or may not be his Facebook page http://it-it.facebook.com/people/Mehmet_Degirmenci/537002481.

I googled his name to get it. You might want to follow the Google trails too.

My opinion, by the way: Removing your work is not the approach I'd take. The barn door is open, the horse has already been cloned. Proudly assert yourself as the owner of the writing!

He should be crouching in dark hiding holes, not you!

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  23. Raven

Raven Banned

This has happened before and a certain person proved herself to be the original author after a bully tried to claim this persons work.

There are channels to be taken. First off I'd join that other forum make your case to the Senior Mod or Administrator. You have your proof here because your work will have a date of posting on.

If the senior Mod or Admin on that forum ignore your claim then PM me.

24. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Lemex,

In my experience, the best you can do is to contact the website owner (Admins if that's appropriate) and inform them of the issue, if you're unable to contact the individual who posted. A futher step up might be the Internet Service Provider for the website.

It is possible that the writer does not know that he is infringing on someone's rights by copying and putting a work found on the interet for as his own. It the USA there is limited rights for 'instructional' purposes for teachers to use a work (usually a news story) and copy it for onetime class instruction. This is because a timely article, to go through the process of contacting the publisher to contact the author to get rights to copy it take too long.

Contacting a lawyer, I think is not really an option.

First: What damage has this individual done?--monitary, reputation--what would you collect?
    Second: The expense. Do you want to pay a lawyer for someone copying/putting their name to this story? How much is it worth to go through the legal process and fees to get this story taken off that forum/website? -- If it's in Turkey...that is even an additional hurdle...

I understand where you're coming from on this, Lemex. I've had my published articles copied and pasted to blogs and yahoo groups and even on a fan-fiction site without permission. In most instances, they kept my name attached, or at least didn't attribute it to someone else. About 90% of the time a polite email/contact requesting what you would like: Your name attached to the story, it removed from the site, etc., and explaining why does the trick.

Being harsh or demanding can easily backfire into a contest of wills--"Oh yeah? What're you gonna do if I don't remove it? Huh?"

As was Mentioned by Torana and Mammamaia many times in the past, it is best not to post a full story or complete work for critique.

Live, learn, move on from this issue after it's over.

Terry

25. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Oh, and to add on...in one instance when one of my articles was lifted, I did not get a reponse until I had the editor for Fiction Factor contact the offending website, and that worked out...so having an admin here (such as Raven offered to do) to follow up if you're unsuccessful may assist in achieving a positive outcome.

A hassle I know.

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.