1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Russian Polititcians Want to Ban Swearing on the Internet!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Jul 30, 2013.

Russian Politicians Want to Ban Swearing on the Internet!

Tell me these aren't real people...

Russia to ban foul language on social networks and discussion boards

Insert 'In Soviet Russia...' joke here.

But hey, it's for the poor innocent children! Think of the children!

lol

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

That would be culturally impossible to effect. Studying Russian at the DLIFLC, we spent nearly a month (a month!) on profanities. They have entire parts of their folklore devoted to raunchy stories. On my mother's grave, I had to translate a story that was titled "A bushel of (insert profane word for penis)". It was a folkloric story about a woman who grew them for a living. You can't make this stuff up.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Ha! Well, according to the politicians, Russians don't swear in real life.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Wow. And here I thought stupid politicians were only limited to the US.

5. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If children are in school and doing school assignments, the places they would be going would have no cursing in them anyway. What about freedom of speech? Plus, a lot of the internet has never been for either non-mature children or unsupervised children, anyway. I don't think this makes any sense.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

They aren't.

Pravda.ru is a Russian online tabloid

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It may not be true, but the sad part is that it wouldn't surprise anybody if it was factual.

Plus, there is precedence:

Russian region bans foul language

8. Wreybies

For non-Russian speakers, Pravda (Правда) means truth and Izvestia (Известия) means news. They are both names for newspapers that were once Communist Party dogma-rags.

The play on words in the original Russian is thus: In Truth there is no news and in News there is no truth.

9. GingerCoffee

I believe you meant precedent. The definition of the two words is close, but one means to give a higher priority to and one means set the standard.

precedent.
    precedence

I'm not sure why it's any more unusual than the US which has many obscenity laws. Is it just that it's on the social media that you are noting?

10. GingerCoffee

Except there is news in truth, if we ever were to hear it, that would be news. :p

11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It would be just another example of the government trying to limit free expression, something I disagree with.

12. Wreybies

Ha! :D

13. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

swearing is a guilt in the law and it doesn't mean freedom of speaking. Some persons love to deal with foul words but the most of polite people become uneasy and wouldn't like to hear or read such things in the public places that they want to discuss there in a friendly or scientific manner.

14. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but freedom of speech does encompass swearing in most Western countries, and I'd imagine in most countries that do respect the freedom to express yourself the way you choose. That is, if I understood correctly what you mean by "swearing doesn't mean freadom of speaking."

15. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

oh for fux ake... people who are offended by swearing are just ridiculous.

lol @ GC

16. Wreybies

Funny story for you [MENTION=52161]erebh[/MENTION], taken from my real life. ;)

I moved to Puerto Rico 6 years ago speaking what would very generously be described as broken Spanish, and what I did know was based solely on the idiolects of my parents. At my auntie's house one day and I lean up against a set of folding metal closet doors and two of the leaves of the door pinch the back of arm hard enough to leave a line of broken blood vessels. I scream, "Me cago en la hostia!", an explicative I had heard my whole life. It was one of my mum's favorites. Now, up to this point the word hostia is just a sound to me. I don't actually know what it means. Lots of Spanish explicatives don't have translations into English. I figure this is just one of those. No. It's the host. The Jesus biscuit. The communion wafer. Everyone in my auntie's house goes white as a ghost, no mean feat for my uncle who is black. I am hushed with great embarassment by my mother who proceeds to fuss at me to the tune of how could you say that, goodness, such a mouth on you, blah blah blah... We leave and I'm still confused and in the car I ask mom to explain what all the that was and she does. What I had screamed out was, "I shit on the host!"*, which is to say, on the body of Christ. Over the next year, as my vocab grows, I slowly piece together the fact that my mom swears like a sailor on shore leave. Whodathunkit? :)

* "I shit on (fill in the blank) is a common explicative formula that has no direct object. Kinda' like screaming the F word after stubbing your toe or mashing your thumb with a hammer. It's not directed at anyone in particular.

17. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

[MENTION=3885]Wreybies[/MENTION] that's hilarious. It reminds me of my sister (4 years old at the time) coming down the stairs singing a Boyz2Men track, And I swear... My dad who's just coming in the front door at about 4pm, totally oblivious to the 80s boy band hears these three words and sends her straight to bed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3o4o7x-HtQ

18. Wreybies

Goodness. It does go to show how there is simply no meter by which to measure what is and is not profane. Mine was pretty cut and dry once I knew what it was I was saying, but just saying, "I swear by...." being enough to ground you is a bit much, aye?

19. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

we still give him stick over it, he thought his little princess was about to morph into a sailor!

20. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

I think the meaning of freedom is not that a person does what he wish or what he choose. For example a person who is driving, he has to pay attention to the signs that law has specified. So he sometimes has to reduces his speed or stops in the crossing roads and if not he will cause some deathly accidents. When somebody wishes freedom he has to esteem others' right as well. Damaging others doesn't mean freedom.

21. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Good point Mans - freedom also means responsibility.
    Nice to see a thought that doesn't just spark off a lot of back-patting.

1 person likes this.
  22. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I think [MENTION=53329]T.Trian[/MENTION] was talking about freedom of speech - not freedom to run riot or drive drunk or shoot up cinemas...

23. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Freedom of speech also includes responsibilty or we wouldn't have such p.c. backlashes.

I'm not for a ban - leave that for sites to use their own discretion - but foul language has definitely gotten out of hand.

24. Southpaw2380

Southpaw2380 Member

I don't understand why people see words as needing to be banned. The word I use for something may not be the one you would choose, but limiting the words I can and cannot say is a terrible concept. With, of course, the caveat that you shouldn't be allowed to freely yell "fire" in a theater, "Bomb" on a plane, etc. What makes a word offensive if it doesn't pertain to an individual?

~~SP

25. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Or "The McVities are down the back!"