1. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

i want to write a different genre

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by tashaa-jayy, Jul 16, 2010.

I have only ever written romance novels, because there only only genre i really know how to write.
    I really want to write a different genre just to see if i can do it because im started to repeat what i have written in other stories into the one i am writing now,If you have any suggestions or helpful hints to get me started that would be really wonderful.

Thanks heaps guys and gals
    :)

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What other genres have you read? That would be my first step.

If none, then mosey on down to ye olde bookstore and wander the fiction section until something strikes your fancy. I do this from time to time, and the great thing is, even if you don't find a new direction in which to write, you will definitely find a new direction in which to read. The last time I did this, I didn't exactly find a new writing direction, but I came across a character named Tori, and while I liked the character, found the name really stuck with me. Before long, I had a character waiting for a story.

3. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

see i can read other genre's but i just never get the gist of it and i really want to learn how to write it i just want to try one story it doesnt have to be perfect i just want to try it out

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I didn't mean that reading other genres would show you how to write them (although there would be some of that, I suppose). I meant that if you have read other genres, that might give you a sense of what would appeal to you. This is a very personal choice you're talking about, and I'm not sure anyone else can help you with it.

5. Chudz

Chudz New Member

You may have done this already, so please ignore the following if you have. But how about taking a step toward a different genre instead of a leap, meaning how about writing a romance but basing it in a fantasy or SciFi setting. You could then see if it sparks your interest and maybe progress from there. Anyway, just a couple of thoughts that cropped up when I read your post.

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Just extend your writing to any genre but with a strong romantic element to it. General fiction, YA, dystopia...whatever.

7. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

Thanks everyone,
    for your honest opinion. and when i said reading them and not getting the gist.... i mean that i haven't really found one i would like to write about, but as for writing it and basing it in fiction etc. well yeah i could try that and when i do it would be really great full for people to read it if i post it up and give me feed back weather its horrible nasty or rude etc thanks heaps

8. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

You always write what you know. I know nothing of the military, so why would I want to write about it?

As Chudz and Marina said, stick with the romantic element (because that is what you know), but place it in a setting that can actually have a bearing upon this key element.

9. tashaa-jayy

tashaa-jayy New Member

yeah i know what your saying about that why would i write something i dont knpow about well i want to write it because i want to get a different feel about writing so then i can go back to liking what i normally write about and i just seem to get bored with it

10. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

And that is because, it is not you.

It is the same with anything: I love football (soccer), and cannot stand cricket, so why would I attempt to get into it, knowing full well, that I would get bored very quickly, and go running back to the sport I love?

As suggested, try branching out with your topic, but run with it in an altogether new direction. Romance can cover so many areas, some of which may be a little taboo, but depending upon how you write it, you may discover a new twist on something.

11. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

why not try writing the genre you are familiar with romance but set it in another genre for example fantasy, history, science fiction etc.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you want to break out of the romance mold, then for heaven's sake, don't write a romance!

start reading a lot of the genre you'd like to try most... then try your hand/head at a short story... but keep romance out of it, or you'll find yourself writing the same old stuff you want to get away from...

after all, when trying to get your vehicle out of the rut it's stuck in, you aim for solid ground, not another rut, right?

the thing is, romance is written very differently from mainstream or other genre fiction and you have to train yourself out of that more florid style and into a new 'voice'... so a clean break is needed, if you're to succeed, imo...