1. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

someplace that isn't actually a place but actually

I went to Disney to audition for a TV Show!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DrJoe, Sep 17, 2008.

As none of you know, I have a very talented and kind manager who discovered me at a local play. He also manages Hilary Swank (of whom I'm not the biggest fan, but she's richer than God!). So, every so often (3 weeks or so) he sends me a script in which I act out one character, and send the tape to him, and he sends it to the casting directors of whatever the project happens to be. So a couple weeks ago, the casting directors wrote back telling me that they were "cracking up" at the performance, and they wanted me to come down to Disney Studios (which also owns ABC, where the show would air if it got picked up).

The drive down there (Burbank) was about 3 hours, and there was almost no traffic. I hung out for about half an hour at a Boston Market across the street from where I was having lunch with him (Bob's Big Boy, LOL!). He got there, and ran over the lines while waiting for a seat. The burgers were delicious; I haven't eaten at a Big Boy in years.

So, about another half hour later, I drove down to Disney Studios (which was like RIGHT there), told the security guard the part I was to audition for, and got in. The audition was in the old animation building, which is VERY cool. I was in a room of maybe 10 while waiting for the audition, which took an hour for them to call me. Very awkward, because everyone is dead silent. It seems to be a rather morbid and cutthroat business.

When I finally got called in by a very friendly young lady, I found myself in front of six people. One taking notes on my performance, one filming me, two feeding me line (also casting directors), and two executive producers. Guess who was sitting there right in front of me making small talk before the performance: Shaun Freakin' Cassidy, B List Heartthrob of the 80s! He was the nicest guy, and we talked about my city and the performance and W.C. Fields. I performed, they loved it and said so through laughter and praise. It couldn't have been a better experience. The email back said they were no longer considering me for the part I initially tried out for, and were now interested in me for another part in the same show.

And that is not a work of fiction.

EDIT: My manager's name is Ken Jacobson, in case anyone is wondering.

2. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Wow, thats great!
    Good luck with your career.

3. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

Aw, thanks :)

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

That's cool! How are the disney animation studios? When I was a child I had wanted to go there for the longest time. I settled for disneyland.

5. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

Pretty cool. It was the old animation building, so it wasn't really used for animation anymore. BUT, there was an awesome granite cut of Walt Disney, and some original Mickey Mouse sketches. Overall, Disneyland is more exciting. :cool:

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

That is awesome news DrJoe. Congratulations. I hope that you get the part, I really do. Definitely keep us posted on how it all goes. Either way though, it is a massive achievement for you just to get an audition. Well done!

Torana

7. Kylie

Kylie New Member

Congratulations, DrJoe. That's so- exciting!

8. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Awesome to hear! The film industry is a tough one to crack into, but it sounds like you're well on your way to making it. May I ask as to any details of the show, or is that all hush-hush at the moment? Anyway, congrats man, congrats. :D

9. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

It's a really dumb show, it would seem, but a start. I won't say what it's called, but it's about some girl whose dad was in a rock band.

10. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Meh, who cares if its dumb or mindless, as long as it could be a possible start to a long journey!

Either way this is exellant news and i wish you the best of luck and hope you get the chance. (The fact tha you got an audition is pretty cool though).

11. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Congrads! If you get famous I want an autograph for my Little sister. :) She loves disney. (LOL and I watch it too, sue me. :) )

12. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Wow that is pretty awesome! It's a great opportunity.
    I hope it works out and you can get your foot in the door. :)
    I've always loved film so that sounds pretty exciting, even if it is a cheesy Disney show, it's still Disney and that's big. :p

13. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh, oh! Mention my name on air so I can say that I know a famous person :D

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

bravo, joe!... hope it all goes well and you get another rung up on that ladder swank's perched atop [but be a gentleman and don't look up, if she's in a skirt!]...

love and hugs, m

15. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, considering it's Disney I think it's a given. Sounds like just about any Disney tv show to me though. :p

Still, it's really cool that your being considered. Take advantage of every new opportunity that opens up for you. Hope I see you on tv sometime soon.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Congratulations! What an opportunity. Hope it all works out.

Girl whose Dad was in rock band? Wasn't there a similar Disney movie awhile back... with Brittney Murphy and that little blond girl from War of the Worlds? A spin off maybe.

And welcome back, Dr. Joe. Nice to see you around again.

17. DrJoe

DrJoe New Member

man everyone wants a piece of my success now! i'm no longer safe :)

18. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I'll soon be in your bushes... :cool:

19. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Congrats Doc, hope to see ya on TV soon:)

20. Rio Moss

Rio Moss New Member

Congratulations, let us know how it goes.