Nano 2010

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by tcol4417, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Hartnell

Hartnell New Member

Hi, yes I am coming to the end of my nano this year. Nearly reached the 50000. I think Nanowrimo is fantastic. I am hoping to do it every year and to do something different every year.

It is a great way of actually writing a set number of words a day intead of doing something less boring instead. ( If I can quote 'Why don't You' even though most of you young ones won't have a clue what I am talking about !)

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I wanna cry mine has taken a twist and turn I didn't want. Gonna be following the story but what happened to my light funny story lol ?

3. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Breaking News: Chudz Winz!! :D

Acceptance Speech

"I'd like to take this time to thank the academy, and the little people. I couldn't-"

Chudz's speech is interrupted by an irate oinking.

"Yes, Mortimus, little people and little piggies as well. Happy?"

A self-contented oink can be heard, followed by the crunching sound of Funyuns being eaten.

A gnome, standing on his chair, raises his hand and waves it around in a wild manner, garnering Chudz's attention.

Chudz sighs. "Yes?"

"Does 'little people' include gnomes? Because, you know, there was one in the story," the gnome asks.

"Hmm, I'm not sure if it does. So how about if I tack on a 'littler people' to cover that option?"

The gnome consults a group of his fellows, who are also standing on their chairs and drinking Chudz's stash of Belgian ales. Consultation done, he says, "Sounds spiffy," before taking a sip of purloined beer himself.

"Great, now. . . ." Chudz pauses as it dawns on him. "Is that my beer?!?"

And needless to say, it continues to spiral downward from there. :rolleyes:

4. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Hee, hee. Congrats - Chudz! I'm very happy for you :]

5. Chudz

Chudz New Member

:D Thanks Tayleea.

And one last congrats to all who participated this year.

6. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Congratulations, Chudz!
    Were you able to finish your story in 50,000 words or will you write some more?

7. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Thanks Natsuki. The story isn't finished. It's maybe two-thirds of the way in, which is nice because it has the potential to be the longest one I've ever written. However, I'm going to take a break before coming back to it. Then I'll decide if I want to see it through, or pull some of the elements out that I really liked and start over.

8. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Less then 1k to go.

As I approach the word count I have noticed something.

My writing is getting worse and worse. lol

9. Elgaisma

woohoo - finished NaNo and completed at 75K the first draft of my story. Now the hardwork begins rewriting it.

10. Unit7

Congratulations. :)

11. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Congrats to all you winners!

I've officially given up. I'm at 36k currently and I know I won't finish in time, plus I have uni (which obviously takes priority) work to do so yeah.. :( Never mind, I still wrote more than I thought I would anyway and would've been amazed if I reached 50k.

12. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Taking a break is a good idea, I'm thinking about doing the same with my story too, though I am sure that I'll finish it later...
    Congratulations again, and good luck :)

13. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Baaaaah, I did a lot of editing last night and then I deleted it because I was tired and accidentally saved over the old draft. :( *depressed* I didn't *lose* any words, but I'd made a lot of improvements, considering I had, like, sentences that ran on many hundreds of words and stuff. It was all pretty cosmetic and would be quite obvious what I do if I read through it again, but now I just feel lazy and not in the mood since I've already done it once. :p

14. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

That's too bad.... Maybe if you give it a couple of days, you'll be able to revise it again. The same thing happened to me once when I was writing a story I wanted to submit, and after a whole day revising, I accidentally deleted the whole thing and had to start again the next day. It was a flash fiction, though, but as I take a lot of time to revise even the simplest of things, it was a bummer. Good luck to ya!

I decided to stop with Nano now. I wrote 75k words, and I'm pleased. I was planning to write 90k, but I couldn't keep up writing 3k+ after I finished the challenge.

I will take a couple of days off, and finish a book I'm reading, and when December starts, I'll try to write 3k/day again until I finish :)

15. Taylee91

^My condolences, Melzaar. I know how you feel. Somedays I am NOT in the mood at all to write or to even think about my stories. . . I'm not sure why to. Probably because I find myself repeatedly at roadblocks that require more work than just writing :) Hee, I'm not much of a self-motivational person at times :p

16. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs New Member

Congratulations! :)

17. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs New Member

So sorry to hear that. I know how annoying it is. My laptop has a habit of turning itself off or hanging and needing a hard reset so now I hit save automatically every few minutes just in case :)

18. Elgaisma

Rewrites

Anyone else going to be cleaning up their story in December?

19. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm going to be finishing mine, hopefully reaching at least 50k, in December if I have time. :p
    As for rewriting/editing, I probably won't do it until the summer.

20. Unit7

Today I reached 51k words and just validated my word count on the site. Second year in a row I have reached that amazing number of 50k!

Now if only my writing didn't suck. xD

Unfortunately I think I am about halfway through the novel itself though and this thing needs some heavy duty editing aswell. I added to many subplots to it and ones I am not to interested in continuing either. Mostly the whole War thing and going to focus more directly on Katherine and Galwin.

Lots of editing and revising to look forward too. But once I finish this draft I can put it away(hopefully I wont forget about it for to long!)

But I won. Yay. :D

21. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Grats, Unit7.

I'm setting a goal for myself to start a review of what I have so far, by no later than December 12th, which would be a lot earlier than it took me to look over my first NaNo win.

22. Elgaisma

I need to go back and take out the sex, magic and talking to dead people that always finds its way into my first draft and I want to reorder some of the scenes. Does anyone have a one or two sentence synopsis of their NaNo.

23. Chudz

Chudz New Member

My synopsis:

A decade after being stranded in an alternate dimension, a man returns to the world he once knew in order to confront those responsible.

24. Elgaisma

Mine: The existence of Socrates Children is destroying the universe; it is his responsiblity to repair it.

25. Taylee91

Oh - wow! That sounds really interesting, Chudz. Does your character have to adjust to life again in a three-dimensional world?