Nano 2010

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by tcol4417, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I started at midnight. Its been an hour and 9 minutes and I only have 833 words. Normally that wouldn't bug me. But I am an hour closer to a deadline!

Though I am rather pleased with what I have so far. Not the best I have ever written. Well it could use some good editing and maybe not drift PoV to much... but well thats what December is for. :D

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Bah, I won't be able to start my Nano novel until late this evening because of uni. :(

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I started super early in the morning because of Uni, then wrote a lot in my notebook during lectures. :p Now I has to type it all up... Sigh...

4. Eunoia

^I was tempted to do that, but I had other things to do.

Now I don't think I'll start until tomorrow because I have a horror story to write instead for tomorrow. I shouldn't procrastinate so much. And I can't even usefully procrastinate on the Nano forums because it won't load.. :(

Oh well, my region's first write in tomorrow so hopefully that'll be good if I manage to go.

5. HenryOrton

HenryOrton New Member

i got 7 words so far. its gonna be a long month lol

6. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Hehe, Henry. You're almost there. :D

I made my daily word count a little while ago, so I'm happy.

7. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

I'm using Obumbrate as my launch into NaNo. -gulp- Otherwise I'll never get into it, haha.

But I may work on a less-important side idea for NaNo as well. Dimitri and Juliet's side of the story. It's begging to be told.

8. Eunoia

Been busy with uni so I haven't really had a chance to start until today. So I really need to write at least 6000 words today. I have around 1000 so far but I keep getting distracted and procrastinating. But I will totally write 6k today! (I hope..)

Also, I'm amazed how well some people are doing too. It puts me to shame.

9. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Don't be, Eunoia! It's hard :D Though I'm okay on the word count, my characters are suffering. They just aren't fully alive as I had hoped they would be. But that is why this is my first draft.

10. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

^ Yeah, don't feel bad about it, Eunoia. I could say the same about other people on the NaNoWriMo website. boohoo :p

11. Eunoia

Thanks Taylee and Tessie. :p

And I didn't get anywhere near 6k.. I procrastinate too much.

Still.. 26 days left!

12. Tessie

That's the spirit! There's still lots of time left!:D Believe me, before NaNoWriMo, I would procrastinate to the point of utter frustration. I refused to write, felt the words came out hideously, but then I decided to shoulder through my writing woes, and join NaNo. I'm so pleased right now. . . I can just write - as little and as much as I want, really, I feel no pressure to produce. This is my first serious work, EVER (a crash course for sure!), so feel better, Eun. :p

13. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I'm going to not-participate activly. The format might trigger a hypomania in me of I get to into it, but i going to write as always, count my words, but not aim at finishing at 50k, I be happy with 40k, 30k, or 15k. Hang around the forums, offer support and so on.

You can find me there as w176.

14. Melzaar the Almighty

Oh my god, my bestest buddy and I are having a ridiculous word war... She started it!

But I've written about 8,000 words today and I can't stop yet, because she's so far ahead of me, and in a different timezone so keeps on getting ahead when I sleep...

I'm on the site as MelisendeDUpheaul if anyone wants to watch. :p (the buddy I'm warring with is theTsp if you also want to see us fight it to the end by clicking on my buddy list from time to time :p)

15. Tessie

I'd love to keep an eye on it Mel! Sounds quite entertaining. Taylee and I are in a little bit of a stand off as well. We don't say anything to each other, but it's silently understood, ha ha ;)

16. Melzaar the Almighty

Emma and I weren't saying anything to each other for the first couple of days, but then I woke up this morning to a Facebook message which was basically, "Ha! in your face! 17,000 words!" :p So... I had to respond. Now it's open warfare... *sigh*

17. Tessie

Aah! That's hilarious. :D Good luck! :p Taylee's at work right now, so technically I could jump on the computer and type like crazy . . but I won't. We're twins, and we love each other more than that. Besides, I'm more of a deliberate writer. I can type well, but if I started cracking away on the keyboard, someone would notice. :D

(Taylor, I'm just kidding! We'll both win. he he)

18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

17,000 words in only four days? At that pace, she'll have over 127,000 words by the end of the month! She'll have done Nanowrimo twice, and half a third time!

Somebody should complain to her about hogging all the words. She should let someone else use some!

19. Tessie

I'm at 5,476 and my sis is at 5,655! Yeah, we're just staying with the daily quota. I think I would turn out a raving zombie if I wrote 17,000 in four days. What are you at minstrel? If you are doing nanowrimo?

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Alas, I'm not doing Nanowrimo this year. I have a big business trip scheduled for right in the middle of the month that's going to take me away from here for about two weeks, maybe more, in which I won't be able to write (and I probably won't have internet access).

I hate my job.

21. Tessie

Ah, that stinks. Alas, the way of the writer! Always taken away from his passion. There's always next year, right?

22. Eunoia

Aha, thanks. :)

I am totally going to watch your word war, if the site lets me of course..
    If I had the self-discipline, I'd be able to write more but alas, I don't. Still, 3390 now! Funny how half of that was done in my break between my seminar and lecture today, and the other half on my day off yesterday.

23. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I so far only have the 5100 or so words.So far at the end of the day I have managed to stay a hundred or so words above what I should have if I followed the 1667 wpd. So thats good. I am actually ahead of schedule!

As for the rest of the post I am just going to ramble on about my characters I have met.
    Because I haven't planned anything out really I have also met some very interesting characters. Andy a young boy(who isn't actually a young boy it seems) who loves pestering one of my Kings and teasing him. Galwin, someone who is just looking out for himself. Doesn't care if his country loses the war and doesn't care if it wins. He doesn't even care of why they are war. He just figures as long as he can continue on with his life the way he wants, whats it matter? lol

Then there is my Katherine. After being orphaned with her older sister living on the streets she was taken in by the Order of Blood. For awhile she was happy and thrived within the Order. But she slowly starts rejecting the whole religion. Especially after her older sister was chosen to be sacrificed to their goddess they call 'Mother' and so far she is just going through the motions and such.

Of course right now thinking about it I think I may have accidentally copied the whole Drizzt and Menzoberanzon(sp) ordeal. *sighs* oh well.

Though one thing I have noticed is this. I haven't described a single character in by story so far. Well I described Andy as a young boy who could give you a puppy eyed look that would get you to do anything. And Galwin having yet to reach his '20th Summer' Well I described some of the characters armor/clothing. I am just curious as to why I would avoid such an easy way to boost my word count a bit. lol

But I have really learned why I don't do to much planning. Its fun to stumble onto a character like Andy as it comes to me and learn about him through the way my character interacts with them. When I first wrote him, well my only time so far, I hadn't a clue what a young boy would be doing coming to the King's war room and acting as if the king was just some guy on the street.

Though their is a downside. I am left wondering who is exactly is Andy. But that should be fun to explore. lol

24. Tessie

That's awesome! :) yaya!

25. lilix morgan

lilix morgan Member

After deciding the Obumbrate was a 'bit of a cheat' way to start off NaNo, I scrapped it, and went with Plan B: Write whatever else I could think of.

So Lillian Hanley's at it again, and Kelly Jasper Haven isn't too far behind. My heroines are always getting themselves mixed into the nastiest puddles of muck.