Nano 2010

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by tcol4417, Sep 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Man, reading this thread makes me feel so behind...I only have 5000 words.

2. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Nah, you'll get there. Don't let the daily count get to you :D

EDIT: If anyone has a hard time logging in to Nano, go in through a cached page.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I pick the killer whale. And apparently with my region, there's this thing about including a tsunami.. Neither of these things has anything to do with voodoo dolls but hey, I can make it work. Maybe.

I'm only on 4420, now you're ahead! :p

4. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

My word count nightmares are killing me! Just wondering if anyone is suffering from something similar.

For the past few days I have been dreaming that I am writing like I always do and when I click the word count tool from my office, it shows the same number, no matter how much I write in the dream. It is awful, I try to solve the problem and nothing works. I think I might be going crazy :p

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Once again I am behind. But I decided to finish my book. lol

So I believe I will be joining you Natsuki in the nut hut soon enough. :p

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I'm not dreaming it lol I am entering my word count in today and it is not changing :) I have caught up now at 15,000 words was getting worried at first I wouldn't do it. This is a hectic month anyway.

7. Phlogiston

Phlogiston New Member

Woo hoo, 3K mark passed! Not much I know, but I'm getting there.

8. natsuki

natsuki Active Member

Well, this night at least I didn't dream lol
    Thankfully, today I had already passed my daily quota early in the morning, because the power went out while I was writing :/
    Didn't lose much, though.

Gonna write again now, Good luck everyone :)

9. hiddennovelist

I wanted to be at 10k by tonight, but I'm only at 75k. Stupid work, taking up all of my writing time...

10. Unit7

Hmm. I'd say you more then made your goal. :p

Didn't write yesterday and I at the end of my writing session today I am once again like 500 words ahead. :D

Though I think I have made my main heroine a bit to weak and whiny. Currently having her go through a crisis of faith which means she loses her magic powers and I am forcing her to relive a time in her life where she had to watch her older sister sell her body and she has been a mess for to long it seems. The one time I decide to have her do some powerful magic but I decided against it.

Oh well I got roughly 37k words to make her the badass. :p

11. Elgaisma

I'm at 17K today finally caught up lol Really, really pleased with my story. It has gone from being my chance to do everything bonkers I thought would be unpublishable and unmarketable to a really original story which is flowing well. Excited about seeing it finished now.

My attempt to keep my two main characters out of a clinch has been pointless and I now have Alice in Wonderland dating Merlin lol which was not planned right now he is fifteen and she is fourteen. They are flying a falcon together.

12. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

As of right now, I have 25,000 WC. Most of it's probably crap, but I still feel so accomplished :)

13. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Ahaha, that's cool.

I'm currently on 7500ish words but I want to at least double this to catch up. Let's see how that works out today..

Edit: Wahey, yesterday I wrote just over 4k. I have to write about 5k to catch up today. Hopefully I manage it!

14. Elgaisma

Yay finally introduced the time travel and I am now more than half way 26K now. I am so excited what is everyones favourite line/paragraph they have written so far?

I quite like this one:

'If I had pulled rank and suggested to my brother he refer to me as Your Holiness, I'd be covered in bruises. Possibly even limbs in plaster. Pompous ass would probably what he would then call me.'

15. Unit7

I have no idea. Though I was kinda fond of how I described the tone of one of my characters as a cold dagger to the throat. Which seemed like the complete opposite of her motherly tone she had seconds before.

But for the most part my writing has been rather crappy. Though I like how I have written her personality. Often very motherly and showing genuine concern from my MFC. But because of her actions very early in the story, mostly the quick change in tone, hinting at that she can be very dangerous. Its also interesting to note that she is a High Priestess of a goddess that could only be described as evil.

16. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Way to go, Elgaisma!

I'm still towing the line of what's needed in order to finish on Nov. 30th.

Here's my snippet:

"Unforgivable." The word seeped from between her colorless lips like venom from a serpent's fang. "You will return to your world and bring ruin upon this gate and those responsible for this intrusion."

Edited to add comment about what Unit7 had to say:

I'm definitely leaning toward quantity over quality at the moment, and it's pretty freeing.

17. Elgaisma

me too but I do it with every first draft lol so that is not new for me. After completing book number 1 and realising I had kept grand total of about 3 scenes from my first draft in tact I no longer see the point :) Have quite a few phrases from this one I want to keep though.

18. Unit7

This is probably one of my favorite aspects of NaNoWriMo. It gets us to ignore that critic and accept it. Allows us to get the groundwork done and the story out.

19. Skwerly

Skwerly New Member

I successfully did it in 2008, skipped 2009 because I’d already done it, but I’m participating again this year with a twist – I’m doing all short stories. 50,000 words of shorts. Ha! It’s been a lot of fun. I’m already way ahead of the game too, at over 18,000 words.

20. hiddennovelist

I'm way behind, barely over 9,000 words when I wanted to be at around 15-16k by now. Boo, me.

But here's my favorite line(s) so far:

His eyes locked on hers, and for a moment, she felt herself believing that everything was going to be ok. Then his lips turned up into a small smile. “I love you, Katie.”
    He lifted the gun to her face.

21. Elgaisma

Tonight, my tiny Alice in Wonderland with peagreen hair is beating up Genghis Khan - what are your characters upto?

22. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Not having gay sex for once. :p They have a zombie to fight! :D

... My story sounds so awful when I summarise it. :D

23. Unit7

Hmm Katherine has just 'overcome' her crisis of faith in her Goddess and her Religion. She also recently was visited by her dead sister.

Galwin is currently spending time in a jailcell after fighting with some guard guy who was trying to force himself on Katherine. Galwin is also just pissed off because 1) the coin purse he stole was stolen from him. 2) The same thief was the one who got him caught up between the GUard Guy and Katherine. For a guy who is mostly out for himself... he isn't too happy. Wait until he finds out he is going to be sold as a slave...

24. Chudz

Chudz New Member

My characters haven't been up to much. I only have 833 words left to hit today's goal, but it's been like pullin' teef!

25. Elgaisma

Sometimes it can be like that of my four main books - two have flowed easily and two haven't. My NaNo has but I think that is because there is less pressure to get it right. Still dawdle with romance and fights lol

Aww damn lol No excuse to watch Jack and Ianto before starting today then?