i would like your opintion

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Tegan_Blue, Jun 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SingToMeMuse

SingToMeMuse New Member

I'm going to be a total stickler here but guys, come on, if this girl is really being abused we should not be making light of it. First off, Tegen, at this point in your life, if you are being abused, try to seek out help, I know that can be a terrifying thought, but you have a right to be safe and protected. Second, I think it's important for you to write about your experiences, but not for anyone but yourself at this point. A journal is a priceless and safe outlet for survivors of any kind to release any rage, agression, or despair that they feel they couldn't express otherwise. There will always be time later down the road to mold your experiances into a message for others.

That's a good point TragicJuliet, I am 26 and I was a victim of child sexual abuse and it really disgusts me how people will often interpret abuse in films and novels for the gasp factor. I have often thought of writing a memoir of my past "injustice" to put it lightly, but I intended on writing it as a tribute to the things I clung to to survive, such as my dancing and my horses, and my unshakable drive to never give up. To me THAT is how stories of abuse are best served in story form. Survivors are nothing short of amazing and they should be commended for thier strength, not exploited for the drama factor of thier experiences.

2. TragicJuliet

TragicJuliet New Member

SingToMeMuse does have a point, that if the OP was in fact actually abused then yes, she should write about it, she should talk about it, and seek help. God knows that it helps, however, I guess I wrote that off since it seemed like she was adding abuse as a "interesting character" trait. and it seemed like the abuse really had nothing else to do with the story except for the history of the character. And if you were, in fact abused Tegan, then you should write what you need to - to make yourself at peace. However, if it isn't and you are just using it as a character trait then, either decide how bad you want that character trait or maybe see if there is another trait that would make her equally as interesting but not as fragile as abuse

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!... tegan, if the character is you, please tell someone who can do something about it... if you can't do it in person, i'm a mom of 7 [6 girls] and grandmom of 17, so can offer you a kind, caring ear and shoulder... email me any time and i'll do what i can to help you, even if it's just to listen...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

To the question if you can write about abuse or not...the truth is, if it's something you've experienced, it's probably going to surface in your writing whether you intend it to or not. Based on my own experience with abuse, it's just there in the stories I tell. To try to take it out because it might not be nice or might offend someone would be dishonest, and ruin the story. What is a 'right' way to talk about abuse, anyway? That's not the point--the point is to tell a story and do the best you can.

"I have often thought of writing a memoir of my past "injustice" to put it lightly, but I intended on writing it as a tribute to the things I clung to to survive, such as my dancing and my horses, and my unshakable drive to never give up." --SingToMeMuse

This sounds like a breath of fresh air. If you ever make it public, I would be interested in reading it. = )

5. diamonds overun

diamonds overun New Member

Hi

Is the name of your charatcer really Tegan Blue? Tegan is fine but Blue for a last neme is a bit odd, i have never heard of that as a last name in real life and would put me off your story a bit too be honest.

The abuse doesn't equal the character, it is how she has dealt with it.

Tell us more about who she is, is she a dark and moody goth, classic troubled teen, happy cheerleader to mask her pain, nondescript trying to blend and npt be noticed?

6. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

I wonder where the OP went. I hope I didn't scare her away...

7. SingToMeMuse

SingToMeMuse New Member

Thank you Daturaonfire, that really means a lot.
    At the moment I have it on back burner. Throwing myself into my novels is a lot more enjoyable than scratching at those still tender wounds. But I do hope to pursue it fully someday in hopes that if it does go anywhere then it might help people who have been through or are going through the same thing.