1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Oh my god oh my god! they found god!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Aug 12, 2015.

They have found the God of the Spaghetti Monster worshipers!

[​IMG]

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/flying-spaghetti-monster-observed-off-coast-of-angola/#mrKslPCcgDRJ2jLc.97

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Mckk, Void, The Mad Regent and 4 others like this.
  2. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Aaaaand nightmares.

Unit7 likes this.
  3. Lewdog

Now all Pastafarians will have to add deep sea diving to their religion.

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Reminds me if the Flood from the Halo games... It's creepy as hell.

5. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

What? What is Pastafarian? Italians? (I don't get it) :(

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the god of the Pastafarians. It's an atheist joke not a real religion.

7. AspiringNovelist

HA! Okay, I thought they were making fun of Italians...And I didn't get the joke.

8. AspiringNovelist

So, I found the pastafarian link in the OP.

It's so confounding to me why people just don't leave each other alone when it comes to personal beliefs.. From what I gathered, the Pastafarians came about because a ?college/Orgeon State? was going to teach intelligent design and some young student said, "hey, then you must teach pastafarian too, or remove intelligent design." <-- If I have that wrong, I apologize, but that's gist of what I got.

I'm sure intelligent design was an elective. Meaning, I can't imagine a college would mandate it as a course requirement for graduation....???? Why not allow the students the choice? I've never understood this need to pull any book, any thought, any legal action from the masses because a few find it uncomfortable or upsetting. And I'm agnostic.

If anything I find "pasta"farian rude as I have Italian friends that I care about dearly. (facetious of course, but that's my point). <-- I want it banned immediately.

I saw on, I think it was MSNBC, the other morning that colleges who have embraced 'micro-aggression codes' have to warn students that assigned reading materials may offend their sensibilities...That's every great book out there -- what is this world coming to?

There's a new Orwellian opiate out there -- and it's not a drug. It's called feelings (queue Barbara Streisand).

9. Lewdog

I almost went to a Baptist school and it is required fo graduation that you take at least 4 semester hours of religious classes. They have an Old Testament Class for 2 credit hours, a New Testament for 2 credit hours, then you can get 1 credit hour for going to church a whole semester. Then they also have some various classes for two hours.

They can get away with it because they are a private school.

10. AspiringNovelist

Sure, nothing wrong with that, it was High School, right? I went to Berea Col in Kentucky, then University of Maryland while in the Air Force -- both had religious courses... As an agnostic, I didn't take the religious courses, and I would have never thought it my right to prevent others from taking them.

11. AspiringNovelist

Darn it, missed my chance. After "<-- I want it banned immediately." above, I should have invoked Alice in Wonderland, "Off with their heads.." :)

12. GingerCoffee

It's not exactly a good idea to teach religion in public school science classes. There's a concept called separation of church and state which is an excellent concept for a free country.

In Kitzmiller v Dover School District the court ruled that Intelligent Design was just Creationism with a mask on. If Christianity is not your religion, it matters. If one cares about actual science education, it matters.

There is no evolution controversy to teach, only religion and science.

13. AspiringNovelist

I wouldn't include it in Science Class -- that's not where it belongs. But as an elective or a straight up religious course-- sure, let them have at it.

My point is that as a young lad, we were taught about inclusiveness -- have to respect everyone -- don't judge. But it seems lately, we've taken a 180 as a society, and now everything has become offensive in some way. (EXCEPT) for the things that are really offensive.

Mckk likes this.
  14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Joke's on them! See, the Spaghetti Monster's real after all!

Which means........

All right, I'm a mod and should probably behave myself :crazy:

*disappears to book flight tickets before baby wakes up* (that's actually something I have to do - visiting family woohoo)

15. GingerCoffee

It has nothing to do with offensiveness. It has to do with science, you know the stuff we used to get to Mars and cure cancers. If you start including religion in science classes you get things like the Pope deciding Galileo and Copernicus got the solar system wrong.

16. AspiringNovelist

I said that I wouldn't include it in Science Class -- I'm in agreement with you? Religion isn't science, it's a belief. (I think, and this is only an opinion, they tried to push themselves into Science courses because they felt they were targeted -- hence intelligent design.) But I don't buy into any of it, any of the 'ism's. Whether it starts with Christian, Islam, or Darwin.. <-- But I would never take the position that those who do believe in those 'ism's be shunned.

17. Lewdog

Weird I had a post here but it disappeared. Mods? I didn't think it was offensive to anyone.

18. AspiringNovelist

You may have offended the pastafarians. (they are secretly monitoring this forum.)

19. Aaron Lopez

Aaron Lopez New Member

The Pope didn't say that... or rather, they didn't say that since two Popes dealt with Galileo. The latter in fact was a good friend of that man, that is until Galileo wrote a book where he was answering the questions of an "Simplicio" (an idiot), who incidentally happened to eagerly ask the very same questions Pope Urban did about the universe to Galileo in privacy.

Galileo's issue was two things: 1) He had a very big mouth, 2) He had little proof for his heliocentric theory. The first proofs for a sun-based solar system came two centuries after his death, when more powerful technology could see direct evidence of the Earth's motion.

Anyway, what people usually miss (and what most modern retellings "helpfully" care to omit) is that when Galileo went up against the Inquisition, he tried to argue his point with the Bible as much as paltry evidence. It was the Bible thing that got him under house arrest, and not only did he get himself in trouble, he got Nicolas Copernicus' stuff (and Kepler, though he was a Protestant) on the Index afterwards. Heliocentrism was doing fine with the Jesuit scientists until Galileo just had to be sarcastic at anyone who questioned him.

And anyway, we all now know that Galileo and Copernicus are wrong. I mean, after all, none of us still believe the Sun is the static centre of the entire universe, right? We're all currently aware that anything can be a point of reference for the universe, including yours truly, right? =P

Lewdog likes this.
  20. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

But that's the point. It WAS being taught in science classes. Hence the objections.

Jack Asher likes this.
  21. AspiringNovelist

The original was about pastafarians and that founders protest to an elective class at a college.

22. Selbbin

The creature is reallycool, btw. Imagine what else is down there we may not yet know about... and kill off before we realise bound the universe together....

23. Selbbin

It wasn't a protest to an elective class. It was a father's protest to FORCED inclusion of religeon in science class.

Where are you getting your (wrong) info?

go to http://www.venganza.org/

This was the letter that started it: http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

24. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Guys, this was supposed to be a funny thread. Chill. Laugh a little. They just found the Flying Spaghetti Monster! :ghost:

25. Selbbin

I know! And you expect me to take such a profound moment light-heartedly?!

Mckk likes this.