Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBock

DBock Member

I wrote 4,000 words today!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by DBock, Aug 19, 2011.

That's all. I just felt very accomplished and hoped it would inspire other writers to write. How many words have you written today? AND here's the challenge! Who can write the most!!!! :) Write your word count below. :D

2. DBock

DBock Member

Also post your favorite sentence of the day!!! :D Here's mine --- “I’ve never made friends! And you just kicked the first one I apparently had, out of the house!”

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Writing isn't a race. It's not a competition to see who can write the most words per day.

I don't normally go beyond about 1,500 words in a day, because if I do, my prose really suffers. I've done more when I have to, but the results generally suck and I have to rewrite anyway, so piling on the words per day doesn't get me any closer to finishing the work.

Hemingway wrote between 500 and 1000 words per day, usually. James Joyce wrote much less. John Banville often writes only about a hundred words per day and struggles over them, and he's won the Man Booker Prize.

It's about quality, not quantity.

4. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Woo! Congrats! It always feels good to have reached some great progress! :D

5. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Well done!

6. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I did about 4k the first time I sat to write my story. Re-read it the next day and was mortified at how choppy it was. Lesson learned I suppose haha. It did, however, solidify a good portion of the story line, and helped me sort how to organize some things. I would not say it was wasted time at all.

Next day I did 790ish words. It flows much better, but now, two days later I'm stuck at how to break the scene and move to the climax of that chapter. LOL

7. Shaezy

Shaezy Member

Today? Zippo. But on Wednesday I had the whole house to myself, it was cold and raining (my favourite weather) and I managed just on eight hours of completely uninterrupted writing. I laid down about 5200 words and I was really pleased with most of it. It's the first time in years I've ever had that much time to myself with nothing else that had to be done. Gosh I loved it!

Unfortunately my holidays are finished today so it's back to work on Monday :(. Which means snatching half an hour here and there after the kids are in bed at night (unless I want to stay up until the wee hours and not be able to function at work.)

Well done though; what a fantastic and productive day you've had! :)

8. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 Senior Member

Today? Nothing. But, i'm planning to start right on now.

9. walshy12238

walshy12238 Senior Member

Zip for me as well, because I'm in the planning stages at the moment. I did finish off a few character profiles, the beginning of my plot is worked out completely, and I did a world map (my story's world) in Paint because I'm a cool kid.

10. Peutra

Peutra Member

D'oh, I've had a deadline for the 6th of September so I've hadto write 4K words a day in order to finish the ~75, 80K novel :D

But then again, I guess it's different for everybody, and it's hard to write a lot but not accidentally slip down to "crappy" level, if you're doing professional writing.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

None! but then I just got home from work and im in the editing phase... I have written a journal entry, though! (handwritten, I just recently took it up in an attempt to sort out my thoughts, but so far it has given me nothing. no solution, no feeling better, nothing. But I still think it's good to get those thoughts on paper.

12. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributing Member Contributor

Well done. Nice to see someone is writing today. My word count? 876 :(

13. DBock

DBock Member

I guess I believe firmly in the idea of "shitty first drafts" as mentioned in an article by Anne Lamott ---- the idea of just writing and writing and then once you have the whole crappy thing written, fixing it, and reworking it into a work of genius.

Some people can write elegant prose with every three sentences but for me it takes a lot of thinking and polishing to get it to something I can be proud of. It helps me to have a basis to work with. It also keeps my confidence up getting things written. :)

14. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think the achievement is how many words you've written but rather how much time you've spent writing. You can spend two hours writing four thousand words or a few masterful paragraphs, the accomplishment is the same. But congratulations. Four thousand words means you've spent a lot of time writing today.

15. JackElliott

JackElliott Senior Member

I agree with most others here. It's not about how many words you write, but how many make it into the next draft. I only write about 500 words a day on average, and that is good enough goal for me because it can be achieved every day.

16. Liza

Liza Active Member

I need to spend more time writing and less getting distracted. :(

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Word count competition threads are not productive.

Congratulations on your successful day, but this is not a "writing issue".

We have allowed other threads discussing daily word counts to remain open, but only because the point of quantity vs quality became part of the discussion from the start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.